Totally unprepared at game time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How do you come out looking that bad on both sides of the ball? The game plan looked bad, the players didn't execute in fact they gave away too many easy plays and penalties and the coaches did not adjust quickly enough.

This is more what I was afraid of with the young offensive line but I never expected the defense to look this bad EVER in a game in 2015.

Foles lost his poise a couple of times and made bad throws but when he has less than 3 seconds to get the ball off the coaches have to make some adjustments. Quick throws to in the middle of the field a draw once or twice. You've got to do something to counter the rush.

Stupid penalties on defense and poor tackling. There is no way in hell a back up guy with the ball under his nose can give away 5 yards on a 3 and 13. Westbrooks screwed the pooch and gave momentum to the skins when they needed a drive to close out the game.

I give a lot of credit to the skins, they out played and out coached the Rams and it wasn't even close.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What happened today is nothing new. Its been happening since 2012. Doesn't matter who the opponent is. We'll win some impressive games and we'll follow them with unimpressive losses. I can guarantee you we won't be one of those 2 or 3 win teams under Jeff Fisher. But I can probably almost guarantee you we won't be a 10 win team under him either. He is what he is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, was the same deal last season. The defense gave up yards in chunks over the first 6 or so games before finally getting their fundamentals down. Most of their issues were in the run game just like in this one. Teams that faced the Rams defense in the second half faced a unit that was playing up to their capabilities, so this season is gonna hinge on how long it takes them to get it together.

I believe it's fundamentals. Fish just doesn't work these guys hard enough in camp and preseason in an effort to keep them healthy. I understand why he does that, but the drawback is they are just not ready to start the season every year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm fairly convinced that if our schedule looked liked this:

@ SF
AZ
SEA
@AZ
@SEA
SF
good team
SEA
AZ
SF
bad team
@AZ
SF
good team
AZ
@ SEA

That this team would go 15-1

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone think playing outside on grass after playing inside a dome on fake turf had anything to do with their lousy play? I mean, they looked slow on both sides of the ball.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Anyone think playing outside on grass after playing inside a dome on fake turf had anything to do with their lousy play? I mean, they looked slow on both sides of the ball.
They practice outdoors on grass everyday.

Next reach?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Please. no more excuses for this teams play, after 4 years, the excuse bucket is full and over flowing.:mad:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They where fast enough to win big on that field last year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TA looked plenty fast enough.

The ones who looked slow are the coaches. They saw the crap piling up in the first two possessions and didn't do anything to adjust. The young Oline was getting handled and there was not adjustmnt in the play calling. The Dline was not getting home because of the quick throws (that some of the ROD members called last week) and did nothing to adjust.

When they go into good teams change they do it on the sideline not at half time and they don't keep doing the same thing over and over thinking suddenly things will work.

fearsomefour

Legend
Westbrooks penalty was gross. No idea if they get the stop on 3-13 at that point and do anything on offense, but, the game was a 7 point game at that point. A key moment and it was a lame penalty.
Foles felt pressure that was not there and helped create pressure on several plays by rolling when he didn't need to. I suspect this is a pattern we will see with him as it is who he has been the last couple of years....looks confident in the pocket sometimes and others does not.
Another issue is there does not seem to be much separation from the WRs. Most completions are going to the TEs and RBs....either check downs or to the TE after the WRs clear. Don't see much mid range passing to the WRs at all. I have seen tore teams really struggle with getting separation this year as well. As the O line improves and (hopefully) the running game improves as well I would really like to see some mid range passing game to the WRs.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
was it different grass last year? ;)
Nope. Exact same set up as far as the practice fields.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the turf at the dome. And how it somehow leads to more injuries, or somehow plays "faster" than in natural grass field.

They just simply isn't the case anymore. The turf they use (and is used by many facilities throughout the country) is not the same ole "AstroTurf" surface of the GSOT days. The new design of "Field Turf" is now more grass like and much more forgiving than the hard surfaces they used to use.

If anything, it plays slower than many natural grass fields including the at Rams Park.
image.jpeg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Nope. Exact same set up as far as the practice fields.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the turf at the dome. And how it somehow leads to more injuries, or somehow plays "faster" than in natural grass field.

They just simply isn't the case anymore. The turf they use (and is used by many facilities throughout the country) is not the same ole "AstroTurf" surface of the GSOT days. The new design of "Field Turf" is now more grass like and much more forgiving than the hard surfaces they used to use.

If anything, it plays slower than many natural grass fields including the at Rams Park.
View attachment 10531

Thanks @CoachO there's a lot of talk in sport about these new surfaces, my regional team has a hybrid surface, and TBH it looks amazing, doesn't cut up as much etc, saying that, players DO seem to have more injuries now than they did in the good ol' days. My take on that is they're spending every waking hour down in the gym, adding bulk etc... It must add extra strains and stresses on the body, ligaments etc

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Westbrooks screwed the pooch and gave momentum to the skins when they needed a drive to close out the game.
It was this type of playing that had me wondering, why in the F--- was he in their so much!? He was in on something like 23% of the Plays!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks @CoachO there's a lot of talk in sport about these new surfaces, my regional team has a hybrid surface, and TBH it looks amazing, doesn't cut up as much etc, saying that, players DO seem to have more injuries now than they did in the good ol' days. My take on that is they're spending every waking hour down in the gym, adding bulk etc... It must add extra strains and stresses on the body, ligaments etc
I agree. Overall, with the technology available now regarding playing surfaces, blaming the playing field for an increase in the number of injuries is misplaced. They are such finely tuned athletes that there is little room for any wiggle room.

Combine that with the financial ramifications for both the player and the organization in today's world, what used to be "playing thru pain" is now treated as a potential long term risk and the player is shut down. All too often, IMO, the difference between being "hurt" and being "injured" has become cloudy. Teams/players just don't want to take the risk. And for me anyway, I think the $$$ has become the biggest determining factor.