Top takeaways from Rams GM Les Snead at NFL Annual Meeting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also according to Jourdan Rodrigue:
Hoecht to remain at OLB, but could be in more of a situational role.
Cooper Kupp is healthy at this point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cooper Kupp is healthy at this point.
But your thoughts & in which direction do you see The Rams going in 2024 ?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
E .Jones, Rams definitely need to keep this kid around. Stout defender, just makes plays, nose for the ball, loved watching him "ole" oncoming TE's & blockers & can free himself to make plays, can make the line calls... very underrated on this D, imho. Hoping Snead gets it done & gets this kid extended.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Earnest Jones but it seems like every time the Rams extend someone early they get injured. I am glad they are waiting but I'm not sure Earnest is. Hope this doesn't negatively affect him this year.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I love Earnest Jones but it seems like every time the Rams extend someone early they get injured. I am glad they are waiting but I'm not sure Earnest is. Hope this doesn't negatively affect him this year.
That's not fair to Ernest Jones. Other injuries have nothing to do with him. Most players get injured at some point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's not the player you go out of your way to lock up early. Solid player and maybe ready to make a jump this year assuming the Rams DL hits on one or two additions. But no way I'd pay him ahead because to me he's still got a lot to prove.

The guys you lock up early are the studs who are established by the time they're a year out of contract. Ones who have been grossly outperforming that rook contract. Much as I like Ernest that isn't him.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
That may be a tell as to when we'll go after an Edge in the draft.....we have 5 decent ones on the roster if Hoecht stays there.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
So McVay knew shortly after the lions game that Donald “was full”.
They did a great job of keeping this hush hush.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So McVay knew shortly after the lions game that Donald “was full”.
They did a great job of keeping this hush hush.
Yeah we've known from Snead and McVay that they knew after that game he was done.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
He's not the player you go out of your way to lock up early. Solid player and maybe ready to make a jump this year assuming the Rams DL hits on one or two additions. But no way I'd pay him ahead because to me he's still got a lot to prove.

The guys you lock up early are the studs who are established by the time they're a year out of contract. Ones who have been grossly outperforming that rook contract. Much as I like Ernest that isn't him.
Do you see him as average? Above average? I think he's a tier under the elite guys. Problem for him is that McSnead has never prioritized ILB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you see him as average? Above average? I think he's a tier under the elite guys. Problem for him is that McSnead has never prioritized ILB.
Average at best thus far. He might be more than that, but you just want to have him show it before you pay him.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Average at best thus far. He might be more than that, but you just want to have him show it before you pay him.
I'd say he showed a lot this year. He was 1st amongst LBs in pass rush numbers with 33 total pressures. 11th in run stops. 10th in pass breakups.

The numbers are above average.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say he showed a lot this year. He was 1st amongst LBs in pass rush numbers with 33 total pressures. 11th in run stops. 10th in pass breakups.

Maybe so. I didn't nuke the film and verify my opinion on him. I just don't see him all that often flashing in a good way. So maybe I'm underestimating him but we'll see what he does this year.

Also and btw those numbers you list probably don't carry him to an early contract priority. I just don't think he's been enough of a difference maker to warrant it. If he doesn't have a top season I would even think they might let him leave in FA but of course I don't expect that take to be popular or anything just how I see it.

WestCoastRam

Legend

He's very good. Sounds like Rams and Jones camp were talking on extension but Rams couldn't wait around on a negotiation (most likely Jones camp said no to Rams 1st offer as I'm sure they would) and Rams ended up spending money elsewhere in FA.

It's not an either or situation in signing him to an extension.

Rams got caught flat footed in FA the year Von Miller left. Rams were way more aggressive this year, neither waiting on Shelton who they wanted back or Jones in negotiation. In both cases, they pivoted to strong, perhaps, superior plan Bs.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Maybe so. I didn't nuke the film and verify my opinion on him. I just don't see him all that often flashing in a good way. So maybe I'm underestimating him but we'll see what he does this year.

Also and btw those numbers you list probably don't carry him to an early contract priority. I just don't think he's been enough of a difference maker to warrant it. If he doesn't have a top season I would even think they might let him leave in FA but of course I don't expect that take to be popular or anything just how I see it.
It may not be a popular take but we see things similiarly. I don't see him as elite which means I too don't think he qualifies for early contract priority. I would be surprised to see them draft a guy in the mid-rounds with the intent to replace him next year since they often draft a year ahead of need.

I was mostly gently pushing back on the idea that he was merely average. Don't think he's elite. But he's better than average IMO. If he takes another step up he could be one of the top tier LBs.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Ernest Jones is significantly above average.

As for Snead saying we won’t lock him in…well…he also said that we’d let Dotson test the FA market, so I’d take it with a grain of salt.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Ernest Jones is significantly above average.

As for Snead saying we won’t lock him in…well…he also said that we’d let Dotson test the FA market, so I’d take it with a grain of salt.
I don't think we have the money to sign him now. Next year, sure. Depends on market.

It was mentioned above that we could draft a LB mid rounds this year. It's not really worth it. The draft class is absolute sh*t. I think you either take the top 2 guys or wait a year. Sure, maybe you draft a ST guy late. But it's a terrible year. Shame we couldn't get an extension done with Jones but we can always try again next year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think we have the money to sign him now. Next year, sure. Depends on market.

It was mentioned above that we could draft a LB mid rounds this year. It's not really worth it. The draft class is absolute sh*t. I think you either take the top 2 guys or wait a year. Sure, maybe you draft a ST guy late. But it's a terrible year. Shame we couldn't get an extension done with Jones but we can always try again next year.
I don’t think it’s a great sign for his future with the Rams.
Bringing in Curl & having Lake.. they may have guys able to wear the green dot in 25, if Jones moves on.