Top 5 most underappreciated Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
You're not alone. I like it that he's a complete TE.. can block and now, can catch.

Cook annoys me because he basically refuses to block.

Like the Hekker pick earlier... and I'll add Laurinaitis... he's very steady but not spectacular... those tend to get overlooked at times.
Refuses is the right word , blocking is 10% skill 90% attitude and the sad thing is IF he would become a better blocker, he'd be taken seriously when he lined up tight and be able to slip coverage from that alignment SOOOO MUCH easier.

I had a conversation with a Tenn. fan shortly after we signed Cook and asked how is this guy not more effective, he said ,he's so unwilling to block no one doesn't just cover him,even corner backs laugh at his blocking.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm guilty of not appreciating #1 Joe Barksdale. All he does is play every game at a high level, yet I still kick around the Robinson to RT and Joseph/ Jones to LG scenario. It's nice to have options, but Barksdale is our RT by merit.

Last year at this time I was very low on Joe Barksdale & certainly was not expecting anything close to what we got ....After watching him in his two starts @ OLT in 2012 ....which were total disasters....I sure love it when I am wrong when it so positive for the team. Early in 2013 Joe Barksdale was not the best ORT on this team & was not the starter when pre season started because it was Saffold's post, but when the usual event happened to Rodger Saffold in the 2nd play of the first offensive series Barksdale ceased his opportunity. His play in pre season was ....not all that positive & I was vocal about it. Rams much like this yr were not stocked with much OT competition after JB. so they were forced to used him until Saffold was healthy.

Saffold finished only one regular season game @ ORT before his second injury took him out....JB went back in ...there was no other OT on the reserve team anyway. JB started slow & was mediocre but began to figure things out by what I have to do so many times over my life...actual game time "Hands On" learning....works for some folks. JB had a rep coming out of college ...lacking any nasty demeanor and a non finisher but his history as a tough UNINJURED OL'er was the ticket.

When Saffold got healthy this highly talented OT could not out perform or dislodge JB....how did that happen?????They both took turn abouts but JB just seemed to have the ORT thing going & IMPROVING! Then the serious injury to Harvey Dahl @ ORG and Shelley Smith NOT producing in his opportunity & laid an egg in the game his started after Harvey's injury ...the rest is history. IN the last game of the season JB was the best Ram offensive OL still standing! :bow:. Now JB for the first time in his NFL life comes into this season as an official NFL starter.

The WWC JB may not have ever made it in the NFL if he had gone to any other team...but as a WWC , he was claimed by a team who had an awful long long bad luck ongoings with the OL when it came to often injured OL'ers. JB is the perfect fit to this Ram line due to that history! It also helps that JB has something going on upstairs to go with a good heart!(y)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Refuses is the right word , blocking is 10% skill 90% attitude and the sad thing is IF he would become a better blocker, he'd be taken seriously when he lined up tight and be able to slip coverage from that alignment SOOOO MUCH easier.

I had a conversation with a Tenn. fan shortly after we signed Cook and asked how is this guy not more effective, he said ,he's so unwilling to block no one doesn't just cover him,even corner backs laugh at his blocking.

I've read a number of articles regarding his attitude troward blocking... all the way back to college.

He's been quite up front about it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Brockers is #1. He wont put up fancy stats to draw attention to himself.
Laurenitis is #1 on my most over rated

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm guilty of not appreciating #1 Joe Barksdale. All he does is play every game at a high level, yet I still kick around the Robinson to RT and Joseph/ Jones to LG scenario. It's nice to have options, but Barksdale is our RT by merit.
I am guilty too. Yes JB is our starting Right OT now but when UFA opens early in 2015 things will get interesting. JB could get some serious interest if he continues to improve. When OLG Greg Robinson catches fire @ OLG & he will...Its possible by then the Org may have thoughts on getting Robinson inserted @ OLT and shifting Jake Long to the more comfortable right side to fit his dominant run blocking skill. I still think GR remains on the left side SierraRam.

With the desire to develop drafted mountain-man Van Dyk to back up the ORT. The right side of Boudreau's OL of Long & Saffold would be something to observe in action. They may be able to get longer use of Jake Longs skills @ ORT.

If top reserve Right OG Davin Joseph returns to full health & previous form this year, Boudreau will be beating the drum to keep him from UFA'cy too. JB as a whole still has some issues in some of his run blocking at times but with a steady dose of a healthy Rodger Saffold beside him for most of the season should help him greatly. If I were Kevin Demoff I may want to get ahead of the curve & attempt to get JB signed way early before getting into a bidding war. But it always nice to keep your real find & refurbishing product like JB. Like you said real nice to have many options !

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
5. Trumaine Johnson (played well and will get better)
4. Joe Barksdale (Really helped the line last year)
3. Johnny Hekker (see below)
2. Cory Harkey (This guy is going to have a big year)
1. Stedman Bailey (The Man)
Hekker was flat out phenomenal last year.
Bailey was great on special teams and as a WR. I think he is the Rams #1 receiver and will become Sam's go to guy. I think he becomes an all-pro. I have been that high on him since preseason last year becoming more convinced every time I see him play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Loved Corey Harkey at UCLA and I knew he would make the Ram squad because he was the best blocking TE in the draft that year and has shocked everyone with his ability to catch the football as well. Joe Barksdale the jury is still out IMO...Seemed to get beat around the end more often than not, however, maybe being the number one guy from day one will give him more confidence. There is a reason the Rams thought about trading up for Zack Martin and that was to play RT!

On Cory Harkey...a UDFA early last season...in the last week of pre season Harkey was diagnosed with a fractured leg . It was announced that Harkey will miss 3-4 weeks. CH was not removed from the master 53 player Ram Roster & placed on another type roster??? CH missed the first regular season game. When CH was removed from the weekly injury list the Rams record was 1 win 3 losses.... when CH got a chance to get on the field fully healthy he made one catch for 17 yds!

When the season began CH was the Rams 4th TE/H-Back behind Cook-Hendricks-McNeil. By the end of the season CH had earned to start 10 Ram games. Also @ the end of the season Shotty was beginning to find out that CH was not a one trick pony. At the end of the season when the Rams were roaring with the run attack CH had back to back games and back to back wins when Shotty had CH highly involved in the Rams offense. In the Saints game CH has 3 rec. for 29 yds & 1 TD, in the Bucs game CH followed up with a 3 rec for 22 yds...CH is now a starter in 2014 & was certainly under-appreciated by many Ram fans IMO.

On the mentioning of the draft & OT Zack Martin IMO it was certainly to be a Ram OT....period not a OG or a center.