Tony Softli... HE MAD :)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah ,I've been of the minority opinion on this ALL ALONG,been round and round with people who are certain we would have won that game if ONLY.
A lot though of why I go along with Martz has to do with a basic phylosophy of coaching I have.
In medicine they take and oath that starts out "do no harm" from that I take it that a coaches FIRST responsibility is to NOT LOSE the game.
Eliminate the worst thing that can happen first and THEN build on that. Stay in the game.
How's that thing about pilots go?"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there aren't many OLD BOLD pilots".

Like my old friend Nick Purler sez about the first period of wrestling ,"I score or nobody does".
Martz took the chances he had to take to get back to nuetral once there the cooler head was dictated ,he chose to contain his impulse to go for it and decided to"do no harm",I can't fault him for that and certainly don't consider it dumb. I am sure he had a better grasp of his teams capabilities there than anyone in the stands imagines they had.
No coach goating for me there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
I take it that a coaches FIRST responsibility is to NOT LOSE the game.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c[/youtube]

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c[/youtube]
Well item ,he is coaching where? And was he referring to how "winning the game " was to be acheived? No he was referring to coasting and whether he would play NOT to win.

If you don't lose you still have a chance to win, again though it's why you draft a defense instead of concentrating solely on offense,it's why you punt instead of going on 4th and 10,it's why Martz did what he did and as far as I can tell he still has the best winning percentage of a St. Louis Rams HC, made two Super Bowl appearances as a coach one as HC, to HOW MANY for Herm?

But we are really just talking about WHEN to put it on the line and when to live to fight another day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c
Well item ,he is coaching where? And was he referring to how "winning the game " was to be acheived? No he was referring to coasting and whether he would play NOT to win.
I knew that was coming.

I was being facetious. It was just an attempt to put up a humorous response to the absolute by you that I framed.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c
I knew that was coming.

I was being facetious. It was just an attempt to put up a humorous response to the absolute by you that I framed.

And I KNEW that , it's a phylosophy and I don't expect concurrence, like I said in the beginning I'm used to having the minority opinion on this .
It's a decision I back and am fully expecting to be unpopular especially among people who don't coach.
The last thing a coach wants to HAVE to tell his players is "I lost the game" after you put all that effort into this, "I blew it'.
I have a friend who was on the board of directors of Burger King,(he's deceased ) we were getting plastered at his son's 30th birthday party ,I asked "how's business" he spewed some info about how this group of store were being built and that that group was doing well, how finding help was a problem and finished with ,"we've got things going our way,if we don't fuck it up".

Players win games ,coaches don't ,they can however lose them,just MY way of looking at it.
I don't think it was a lack of confidence in anyone, he didn't bench Bulger during the OT,it was just his view of when to put it on the line,sort of don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes,can I trot out any more tired ass euphamisms? Hell yeah ,I can go on for eva.Ain't that why we're here? :ww: