Tony Softli... HE MAD :)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol Umadbro?

4fe94b5d9d29c9013a00000.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That was a painful game. We are gonna lose, NO, we may win, no we gonna lose, NO, we could win, No No No, did that just happen? Did we just lose? Damn! :sick:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a painful game. Watched it surrounded by Panther fans. A great game, but a painful one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Painful to relive. And probably one of the best examples of why I had a problem with Big Game Bulger. Sorry and I really don't want to start a Bulger bashing thread. Just sayin'

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Painful to relive. And probably one of the best examples of why I had a problem with Big Game Bulger. Sorry and I really don't want to start a Bulger bashing thread. Just sayin'
That was probably one of the most deflating games I remember watching.

:grr:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If you thought Softli was mad... you should have seen / heard me during this fucking nightmare.

Once I saw what game this video showed ,,, I stopped it immediately. Way too painful for me to watch.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Oh man this game. This game. This game. So many ups and downs. Probably the most nerve racking game I have watched.

So upset after this loss but what a game it was.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I remember I went to this game with my Family. My poor Mom cried hahaha. You could see how emotionally spent everyone was after the game.

It was very painful and if it wasn't so many years back I don't think I could've enjoyed re-watching it either. I just couldn't remember if I ever saw the televised version of it.

Definitely one hell of a game I'll never forget.

Good thing Tonys on the good guys side now. :lol:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RamFan503 said:

i love how he threw holt under the bus for that last interception he threw. saying stuff like the db made a hell of a play and wanted the ball more.

what really happened was that instead of putting the ball in front of holt, from maybe 10 yards away, bulger put it on his back shoulder giving the db the chance to intercept it.

Anonymous

kurtfaulk said:
RamFan503 said:

i love how he threw holt under the bus for that last interception he threw. saying stuff like the db made a hell of a play and wanted the ball more.

what really happened was that instead of putting the ball in front of holt, from maybe 10 yards away, bulger put it on his back shoulder giving the db the chance to intercept it.

When did he say that? To be honest I don't remember that. Holt was facing Bulger on that play, it wasn't a back shoulder throw.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Doesn't really seem like he's throwing him under the bus to me if this is what you're talking about.

Holt is held to just two catches
By Jim Thomas
Post-Dispatch
01/10/2004

By almost any measuring stick, this has been a season to remember for wide receiver Torry Holt. He led the NFL in both receptions (117) and reception yards (1,696 yards), and scored a career-high 12 touchdowns in the regular season.

All of which made Saturday's performance all the more surprising. Playing against his home-state Carolina Panthers, Holt registered season-lows in both catches (two) and reception yards (21) in a 29-23 playoff loss by the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome.

"It's tough," Holt said. "You learn from it, and regroup, and just come back next year."

While teammate Isaac Bruce prospered, with seven catches for 116 yards in his first full game back since suffering a high-ankle sprain Dec. 14 against Seattle, Holt and quarterback Marc Bulger never really clicked.

"We weren't quite in sync as we normally are," Holt said afterward in the St. Louis locker room. "I can honestly say that. I can honestly say that we weren't quite there."

Why?

"I can't explain why," Holt said. "I can't give you the reason why. But it is what it is. We have to deal with it and move on, and just wait till next year."

Holt nearly made a spectacular catch on a slightly overthrown deep ball from Bulger midway through the third quarter. Holt pulled the ball in with his left arm, took a couple of steps, but couldn't hang on to the ball. What would have been a 66-yard TD pass fell to the turf incomplete.

The Rams were moving late in the first overtime period when a Bulger pass to Holt was intercepted by Carolina rookie cornerback Ricky Manning Jr.

"It just seemed like (Bulger) held on to it a little bit long," coach Mike Martz said. "But the 'DB' did a good job taking the ball away. That was a critical play, because we were getting in position to kick the field goal."

The Rams had a first and 10 at the Carolina 38 on the play, which took place with just over a minute remaining in the first overtime. Not only did Holt have position on Manning, Holt appeared to have the ball, until Manning made an aggressive break and came up with the interception.

"Torry and I had a clear lane," Bulger said. "The guy was behind Torry. I thought, worst case, it would just be broken up, because he had to go through Torry to get to it. But he made a great play."

Injury update

After missing the last three games of the regular season with a torn groin muscle, middle linebacker Robert Thomas didn't make it through Saturday's playoff game unscathed. Thomas aggravated the groin injury in the fourth quarter and was replaced by Jamie Duncan.

No 4-1-6

In what probably was an effort to strengthen their run defense, the Rams junked the 4-1-6 defensive alignment they had used in nickel and dime situations during the final four games of the regular season.

The Rams went with just five defensive backs when the Panthers put in extra wide receivers Saturday, moving Aeneas Williams up to cover the slot receiver and bringing Jason Sehorn off the bench to play free safety.

Ram-blings

The Rams finished minus 2 in takeaway-giveaway ratio Saturday. In all three of their playoff losses since moving to St. Louis, the team has finished minus 2 or worse. In all five playoff victories, they have finished the game minus 1 or better.

Carolina snapped the Rams' 15-game home winning streak during the 2000 season, and snapped the Rams' 14-game home winning streak Saturday.

Running back Marshall Faulk tied a Rams playoff record with nine receptions against Carolina.

Anonymous

Username said:
Doesn't really seem like he's throwing him under the bus to me if this is what you're talking about.

Holt is held to just two catches
By Jim Thomas
Post-Dispatch
01/10/2004

"Torry and I had a clear lane," Bulger said. "The guy was behind Torry. I thought, worst case, it would just be broken up, because he had to go through Torry to get to it. But he made a great play."

Thanks for finding that. I looked real quick but didn't quite know how to search it.

I just watched the last few minutes of the 2nd OT from that game. The receivers were exhausted. Just exhausted. So much so it was visible and the announcers were dwelling on it with their replays--pointing it out and discussing it.

Having said that I wouldn't have made that throw. I thought it was too a tad high so Torry couldn't come back to it.

In fact, I never made throws like that. Not once.

("And did you ever play quarterback, at any level?" "No. Why?")

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm still pissed off that Martz took the field goal and didn't try to win the game in regulation. That game still pisses me off to no end. God damn it, I'm getting pissed again just thinking about it. That was an emotionally draining game.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
brokeu91 said:
I'm still pissed off that Martz took the field goal and didn't try to win the game in regulation. That game still pisses me off to no end. God damn it, I'm getting pissed again just thinking about it. That was an emotionally draining game.

Well at least you KNOW WHY you are "pissed off",there are a lot of people populating message boards who don't even know they ARE. :what: :lmao:

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:

Yes IMO that one was one DUMB decision.

My view is that Martz was not very good at "reading" his team or assessing situations and contexts.

He did not catch that his team had a hot hand at that point. They had roared back and were clicking. 2 scores within how many minutes? Including all this great third and 4th down passing.

He didn't sense that. Or failed to grasp what it meant.

That's what I think anyway.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
zn said:
kurtfaulk said:
RamFan503 said:

When did he say that? To be honest I don't remember that. Holt was facing Bulger on that play, it wasn't a back shoulder throw.

whatever, he was running to the right then, as usual, had to stop to catch the ball delivered by bulger which gave the db the chance to intercept it. another yard to the right and the ball would have been caught by holt only.

no wonder martz said, "why would you do that".

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

My view is that Martz was not very good at "reading" his team or assessing situations and contexts.

He did not catch that his team had a hot hand at that point. They had roared back and were clicking. 2 scores within how many minutes? Including all this great third and 4th down passing.

The game that directly impacted Martz' decision making was in 2002 against the Redskins. Rams were down 20-17 with 15-20 seconds left, no time outs with the ball inside the 5. Chip shot FG to tie, but Martz wanted one last shot at the TD. Warner got sacked, fumbled and the Rams lost.

I have no doubt Martz was thinking about that game when he decided to take the tie and OT.

But I agree. The real Martz should have gone for the win.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

The game that directly impacted Martz' decision making was in 2002 against the Redskins. Rams were down 20-17 with 15-20 seconds left, no time outs with the ball inside the 5. Chip shot FG to tie, but Martz wanted one last shot at the TD. Warner got sacked, fumbled and the Rams lost.

I have no doubt Martz was thinking about that game when he decided to take the tie and OT.

But I agree. The real Martz should have gone for the win.
I would concur that you have what Martz' mens re was at the time and what nightmarish experience promted it.

Clearly the decision to "go for it" against Washington COST them the chance to put that game into overtime and made Martz more conservative when a similar situation arose, which for me was an indication he had learned not been "DUMB" .
On the contrary he decided to take the surer chance to extend the season and what he wanted worked out. What happened in OT was a completely different issue.
I know a lot of emotional recrimination came from that but not nearly the amount had he "gone for it" and lost the game because he decided to be what would have been TOO BOLD.

He did the smart thing, he kept his chances alive instead of putting it all ON THE LINE WHEN HE DIDN'T HAVE TO.

It is also worth noting that his play calling in a Super Bowl was being widely questioned for being too risky and a circular firing squad had already formed within the organization which is the sort of environment that dampens risk taking.

This is one of the many times I have supported a coach for knowing more than fans.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Idk why he didn't either. It seemed like he wasn't fully confident in Marc as the game went on, and my guess is he wanted the sure thing.

Who knows. Like zn said the team was hot and clicking. Not to mention in perfect striking distance for how our team was built that year. Still enough room for everyone to run.

Carolina did have one hell of a defense that year though too.

You've got them on their heals, you have a TO and a little over a minute left, and you're already at the 20. Take a shot. Even after they ran the toss to Marshall they still had :30 sec left with a TO and a fresh set of downs.