Tom Brady frees up $24M for Pats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
In a deal turned into the NFL office Monday, quarterback Tom Brady restructured his contract to give the New England Patriots $24 million more in cash to spend this offseason, according to league sources.
Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in "skill" guarantee to only "injury" guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured.
Brady also now can be released by the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender.
The move frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents, including cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Devin McCourty, tackle Nate Solder and running back Shane Vereen, among others.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...ive-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash

Irish

Starter
Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn.

I envy the Patriots and New England so much. Beautiful stadium, engaged ownership, winning tradition of excellence, and now this shit. It is literally everything we are not, and it makes me want to punch things.

RamsFan14

Starter
Well I feel like the spotlight just got bigger for Bradford... What will he do with his current contract this offseason? Oh snap... This could get ugly fast

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
A lot of people hate Brady, but he's done a lot to help keep that team in contention from taking a way under market value contract and now this, and all he does is go out and perform every single season.

I'm jealous.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If this Organization needs money to sign their own key players, they'll find a way. Whether that involves Bradford's contract, or someone else's, it'll get done.

RamsFan14

Starter
A lot of people hate Brady, but he's done a lot to help keep that team in contention from taking a way under market value contract and now this, and all he does is go out and perform every single season.

I'm jealous.

Summed it up perfectly, he doesn't seem like such a bad guy. By no means is he perfect, but dang he'll do w/e it takes to win games. Props to him and the Pats nation (Blah!!!)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oh, look. Rational and objective posts about the Patriots and their QB!

You should all get venereal diseases.
(haven't decided on the font color yet)

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
A lousy $24mil? Bah, his wife has more than that sitting outside in her car ashtray, Brady can afford to piss that away... Of course if it was the 49ers or Steve Young then I'd think he was getting paid under the table. But the Pats wouldn't cheat like that...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Well I feel like the spotlight just got bigger for Bradford... What will he do with his current contract this offseason? Oh snap... This could get ugly fast
Apples and oranges, except to the P-D troll crew of course.

Brady's not in the last year of his contract (unless he wants to be released, which may have been his intention here... don't see him giving up something for nothing). Sam is. And Sam has leverage thanks to the QB shortage this coming year.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Of course he takes less money to stay on the cheatriots. Other teams wont give him the defenses play calls in his head set.

Speeps

Starter
I like Tom Brady and consider him the greatest QB to play the game. I wonder if Sam will help us out?

RamsFan14

Starter
Apples and oranges, except to the P-D troll crew of course.

Brady's not in the last year of his contract (unless he wants to be released, which may have been his intention here... don't see him giving up something for nothing). Sam is. And Sam has leverage thanks to the QB shortage this coming year.

I'm not hating on Bradford, I love him to death but you have to admit, some fans are going to bring up Brady with respect to Bradford's contract situation. I agree they are in totally different situations, I'm just saying there are going to be ppl who bring this up. He does have leverage, however he could "technically" reduce his contract to serve for the missed time over the last two years (that's what some ppl will argue). I'm just saying what other ppl could say, not trying to be a butt! Whatever Bradford does, I think I can understand the reasoning behind it... Or I'll come up with my own reason lol.

Frickin Brady... They haven't won since the Spygate investigation, so nothing will make me happier than to see them continue to come up short every year! I think it'll ruin some of there credibility with those 3 Superbowls, if it hasn't already.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so what has he done? He was never going to play for $8m per year. All those stories about him sacrificing his salary for the pats were all bull. They were just salary cap moves and it ended now. A new deal will be worked out after the season or he is probably gone.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I like Tom Brady and consider him the greatest QB to play the game. I wonder if Sam will help us out?
What's scary is Brady was probably a David Tyree catch away from being the consensus greatest QB had they closed out a perfect season... As for "helping out", the way I read this is just salary cap help. Brady will eventually get paid that money, they are just delaying the cap hit. What people seem to want from Bradford is a pay cut, two pretty drastically different things.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh, look. Rational and objective posts about the Patriots and their QB!

You should all get venereal diseases.
(haven't decided on the font color yet)

Something along the lines of this to represent pus.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm not hating on Bradford, I love him to death but you have to admit, some fans are going to bring up Brady with respect to Bradford's contract situation. I agree they are in totally different situations, I'm just saying there are going to be ppl who bring this up. He does have leverage, however he could "technically" reduce his contract to serve for the missed time over the last two years (that's what some ppl will argue). I'm just saying what other ppl could say, not trying to be a butt! Whatever Bradford does, I think I can understand the reasoning behind it... Or I'll come up with my own reason lol.

Frickin Brady... They haven't won since the Spygate investigation, so nothing will make me happier than to see them continue to come up short every year! I think it'll ruin some of there credibility with those 3 Superbowls, if it hasn't already.
Sure, people will try to bring it up, but those people were just looking for a reason to hate anyway.