Todd Gurley forgets what it's like to practice against Aaron Donald in camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_10900606.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva

Aaron Donald is an all-world pass rusher and run defender, proving to be the absolute best defensive lineman in the NFL – and maybe even the best player regardless of position. Opposing offensive linemen have nightmares about facing Donald on Sundays, but it’s not just opponents who are tasked with slowing him down.

The Rams’ own linemen have to do the same. They’re just not used to doing it as much.

Inhabit;ord=6854786443298.02;dc_seg=756255014

In each of the past two years, Donald has skipped mandatory minicamp, training camp and the preseason as he held out for a new contract. That gave the Rams’ offensive linemen some time off from blocking him (aside from light practices during the season).

Todd Gurley, for one, doesn’t really remember what it’s like to have No. 99 on the other side of the line, pursuing him on every carry.

“That’s the crazy thing: I don’t know,” Gurley told Rams Wire when asked what it’s like to face Donald. “This is his first time coming to training camp. It’ll make me so much better.”

Gurley knows Donald will raise the level of competition in practice by being on the field, given his knack for getting into the backfield and wreaking havoc. However, Donald won’t bother Gurley too much on the practice field.

“I’ll still have to finish my runs, but I won’t have any excuse of getting stopped,” Gurley said. “This guy right here, I’ll just kind of run past him. He does a good job of just leaving me alone.”

It should be fun to see Donald back in training camp for the first time since 2016 this year, sharpening the skills of the Rams’ offensive line and his fellow D-linemen, alike.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...m_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2headline

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would also think that there is going to be a real shock to a new Ram starting OL'er..... LG Joseph Noteboom too.

Last season Noteboom did not practice with AD either. During the 2018 regular season weekly practices Noteboom lined up @ LT not LG. It was primarily Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Aaron Neary & Jamil Demby types that had to deal with AD. While Noteboom either practices with the 2nd teamer's or whomever lines up @ the right side ER/ OLB'er post Samson Ebukam or any other of the rookies like Young or Lawler.

It would be interesting to have a front row seat during practices this 2019 TC between the all pro Aaron & new first year starter Joseph Noteboom. I need to remind myself that Noteboom has played OT not OG.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I would also think that there is going to be a real shock to a new Ram starting OL'er..... LG Joseph Noteboom too.

Last season Noteboom did not practice with AD either. During the 2018 regular season weekly practices Noteboom lined up @ LT not LG. It was primarily Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Aaron Neary & Jamil Demby types that had to deal with AD. While Noteboom either practices with the 2nd teamer's or whomever lines up @ the right side ER/ OLB'er post Samson Ebukam or any other of the rookies like Young or Lawler.

It would be interesting to have a front row seat during practices this 2019 TC between the all pro Aaron & new first year starter Joseph Noteboom. I need to remind myself that Noteboom has played OT not OG.
:shocked::death::hellno::seizure:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lol, I remember when Fisher's guys complained about Donald wrecking the offense's rhythm because no one could block him. Looks like the offense will have to pick it up now that he's back.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, I remember when Fisher's guys complained about Donald wrecking the offense's rhythm because no one could block him. Looks like the offense will have to pick it up now that he's back.

remember when gurley was asked about ad's hold out last preseason and he said it was a blessing in a way because the offense could actually run their plays during camp.

jap

Legend
The Gurley Express! versus The Kraken!---honestly, does it get any better than this? Noteboom and his interior linemates should be well prepared for this season after being abused by Aaron this training camp/pre-season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can just see Whit coaching up players after the play. "See what he did there? Well you have to... Awe screw it. No one else can do that. Concentrate more on stopping what the other guys are doing.". :ROFLMAO:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
remember when gurley was asked about ad's hold out last preseason and he said it was a blessing in a way because the offense could actually run their plays during camp.

Lol, they're gonna have to have Donald watch when they run offensive plays against the defense. Then again, I guess after trying to block him, blocking anyone else seems like a piece of cake.