Time to make a splash

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Time to grab a center at all costs, if we overspend and look desperate that's because we are.
We can't rely on the draft to fill all the o line holes. Get barks resigned and get weisnowski. I'm not to worried about guard because the draft has some good options for us but theres like one starting caliber center, time to splash some cash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't we overpay for Scott Wells at one point?
True but I think most free agents get overpaid. Not sure how many options we have at this point. Not saying we should panic but IMO now is the time to gamble some cash. Think weisnowski is pretty solid at this stage in his career.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Would it be the end of the world if Barks re-signed and we went into the draft aiming to get two starters on the o line instead of three?

I don't think so. Teams that make a splash in March tend to barely make ripples come December/January.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I do worry about the lack of quality offensive linemen remaining in FA. Sure, there are some guys still available, but the list of proven starters is dwindling.

I do not like the idea of heading into the draft with such a glaring need.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Would it be the end of the world if Barks re-signed and we went into the draft aiming to get two starters on the o line instead of three?

I don't think so. Teams that make a splash in March tend to barely make ripples come December/January.

I totally agree, I'd focus on getting Britt and Barks back (at a sensible cost) we at least know where we are with him... I think Wiz is going to be expensive and TBH I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he truly is, Oakland's O-line was worse than our own last year...

paceram

Pro Bowler
Time to grab a center at all costs, if we overspend and look desperate that's because we are.
We can't rely on the draft to fill all the o line holes. Get barks resigned and get weisnowski. I'm not to worried about guard because the draft has some good options for us but theres like one starting caliber center, time to splash some cash.

I am not sure I want to see the Rams sign Wisniewski at all costs but I do agree that the Rams need to strongly pursue him and offer him as much as is reasonably possible (And, I do think they will have to overpay him to get him). Not only do I think signing Wisniewski would greatly improve the Rams offensive line but it would be nice to keep him off the Seahawks roster as well!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I agree. I have been saying this is a good draft if you are looking to get a center. The position is 7 deep this year and with half the league already set at center it puts us in a good spot.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Isn't anyone else concerned about the possibility of going into the season with three rookies and a second year player on the Oline?:confused::eek::eek::eek:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Stick to your guns, don't overpay. We'll end up losing guys like Bailey,Gaines, Try, Jenkins, etc if we fudge it up now. Wussy isn't worth those any of guys.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I agree we need to get at least 1 OL from free agency and preferably a center. Wiz has never lived up to his expectations however I think he could play at a top 15 ish at the center position with some good coaching, discipline and desire. If he stays on the market long we may be able to sign him for a shorter term. My concern is more in the length of FA contracts when they are unproven more than the yearly. 2y would be OK

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Isn't anyone else concerned about the possibility of going into the season with three rookies and a second year player on the Oline?:confused::eek::eek::eek:

Some rookie Centers play great in their first year. If you sandwhich rookies between vets the the learning curve is lessened. So the worst would be Center and LG together possibly but a guy like Scherf probably transitions without much trouble Iowa Olinemen are usualy NFL ready because they are well coached in college. Ditto for Wisconsin Linemen.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Some rookie QBs play great in their first year but I'm not willing to bet the season on that happening either!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, but it worked out pretty well with that Jason Brown guy, oh wait...
There is no denying that pattern and we have been burnt in the past, not sure that equates to every o line free agent gonna bust for us tho.

Irish

Starter
There are no splashes to be made, at least, not for what we need.

For better or worse, the Rams, and really Fisher's legacy in St. Louis, is going to come down to this draft and whether or not they can plug the gaps they have.

With Rhaney and Jones the only viable options on the O-Line drafted by this regime, if the Rams once again have a below average O-line that leads to a disappointing season, it is time for Snead and Fisher to go. They were given a cornucopia of legitimate draft considerations, and they came away from it with only a 7th round pick who was picked after a guy who got beat out by an undrafted rookie free agent and a guy who can't find the field. The Rams maligned offensive line has been a sore spot for more than a decade, yet it has been approached with nonchalance.

The thing is, you can easily fix the interior line in the draft if you just draft wisely. All can be forgiven if they find serviceable parts in the early-middle rounds. Guards and centers are not exactly high profile players, and you don't need 5 first rounders across the board to have success (although it doesn't seem to hurt in Dallas), but you need a concentrated effort to tackle the issue early.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
One of the quickest ways to "Cap Hell" is overspending on Free Agents, especially ones who are not upper echelon. With several important Rams contracts coming due next year, much wiser to invest the $$ and protect your own.

Athos

Legend
I do worry about the lack of quality offensive linemen remaining in FA. Sure, there are some guys still available, but the list of proven starters is dwindling.

I do not like the idea of heading into the draft with such a glaring need.

True. If it isn't Blalock, Wis, or a trade for Mathis, not sure I care about FA lineman anymore. I still want to get two lineman before heading into the draft. I don't wan to screw ourselves out of a BPA because of a line need.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
With Rhaney and Jones the only viable options on the O-Line drafted by this regime, if the Rams once again have a below average O-line that leads to a disappointing season, it is time for Snead and Fisher to go. They were given a cornucopia of legitimate draft considerations, and they came away from it with only a 7th round pick who was picked after a guy who got beat out by an undrafted rookie free agent and a guy who can't find the field. The Rams maligned offensive line has been a sore spot for more than a decade, yet it has been approached with nonchalance.

The thing is, you can easily fix the interior line in the draft if you just draft wisely. All can be forgiven if they find serviceable parts in the early-middle rounds. Guards and centers are not exactly high profile players, and you don't need 5 first rounders across the board to have success (although it doesn't seem to hurt in Dallas), but you need a concentrated effort to tackle the issue early.

What about Greg Robinson the anchor at left tackle for the next decade?