Tim Barnes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think you are simply looking at the surface when you say that that neither were able to supplant a "poor starter" in Wells. What you are over looking is the injury factor to ALL of the above. Jones' injuries are well documented. Barnes on the other hand, is an after thought amongst most fans. they just don't pay close enough attention to what is going on with a backup offensive linemen. Barnes injured his shoulder in training camp. He got over that, and if you go back and watch the early games, he participated in limited snaps, in the Jumbo package. Then he got hurt again, (no one noticed he wasn't active).

So, IMO, to simply say he hasn't been able to "beat out" Wells, isnt' taking into account all of the mitigating circumstance this team has had to deal with.
For the last two seasons I've rather loudly called for Jones to be placed on IR, at least opening a spot for a free agent or to potentially steal an offensive lineman from another teams practice squad. There is no excuse for carrying him on the roster if he doesn't have a chance in hell of getting into a game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Looks to me that if the Rams can go into Training Camp with HEALTHY Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney things as far as the center post will look much better.

Three younger stronger centers ready to worked together to strengthen this OC post. While all three have some versatility in them like Barnes & Rhaney who worked @ OG and Jones who has OT both sides starting experience in College would help the overall beefing of reserves in other areas. All three of these guys were together last season and should continue to get better IMO.

Now lets hope that Tim Barnes signs real soon!

I think we can get a read on what their plans are, regarding the position, as well as their draft plans, with any FA signings they may ultimately land.

What I mean by that,,,,,,, IF they are able to bring in Wisnewski, it could mean they are favoring drafting someone like Scherff and plugging him in at Guard. If they got Blaylock for example, it could mean they are prepared to let Barnes, Jones and Rhaney fight it out for the Center position.

What I do not see them doing, is going with what would amount to TWO rookie starters side by side and saying "let's go" especially if that is on the left side with a still very raw starting LT in Robinson.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
For the last two seasons I've rather loudly called for Jones to be placed on IR, at least opening a spot for a free agent or to potentially steal an offensive lineman from another teams practice squad. There is no excuse for carrying him on the roster if he doesn't have a chance in hell of getting into a game.
The problem with that, is its not about him "getting in the game", its about being able to play 50+ snaps in any game. He was able to step in and did "all right" in the KC game when Wells went down. A player like Jones AND/OR Barnes, when ACTIVE provides Special Teams snaps, and versatile depth (can play multiple positions) if someone goes down in a particular game.

But to simply say, that unless they can step in and play an entire game, they are "worthless" is over stating the situation IMO.

Also, its easy to say go get a FA linemen (like there is an huge list of quality guys left over) or raid from another PS, but to do this you have to add that player to the active roster. so you are back to where you were,, having a player tying up a roster spot that will not be ready to play.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What I do not see them doing, is going with what would amount to TWO rookie starters side by side and saying "let's go" especially if that is on the left side with a still very raw starting LT in Robinson.

Garrett Reynolds should be capable of starting a few games while a rookie is getting up to speed.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The problem with that, is its not about him "getting in the game", its about being able to play 50+ snaps in any game. He was able to step in and did "all right" in the KC game when Wells went down. A player like Jones AND/OR Barnes, when ACTIVE provides Special Teams snaps, and versatile depth (can play multiple positions) if someone goes down in a particular game.

But to simply say, that unless they can step in and play an entire game, they are "worthless" is over stating the situation IMO.

Also, its easy to say go get a FA linemen (like there is an huge list of quality guys left over) or raid from another PS, but to do this you have to add that player to the active roster. so you are back to where you were,, having a player tying up a roster spot that will not be ready to play.
Basically what you are saying to me is that we were incapable of finding another center or swing C/OG in a two year time frame that could have been serviceable while Jones rehabbed on IR.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Basically what you are saying to me is that we were incapable of finding another center or swing C/OG in a two year time frame that could have been serviceable while Jones rehabbed on IR.
What I am saying , that in the months leading up to the draft, and during the FA signing period, there was NO REASON to know that Scott Wells would be stricken with a life threatening illness that would cause him to drop almost 30 lbs, and cause him to play catch up for the first 6 weeks of the season. OR that he would injure his elbow.

Or that they could have known that Barnes would suffer a shoulder injury in training camp, and then a rib injury 4 weeks into the season. What I am saying, that the ONE position on the O-Line that seemed to be deep and taken care of was Center? At least at the time they would have had to make those decisions. I know that Scott Wells is everyone's whipping boy, but when the guy was healthy, he was a good player. The problem was, once he put on a Rams uniform, he was rarely healthy. But you tell me how they would have known he would get sick a couple of weeks BEFORE training camp.

All you seem to see, is what happens on Sundays, and think that it should be obvious to anyone in the organization to "get it fixed". Sh%t Happens, and its not always something they can plan for. This team endured 4 injuries to ONE position last year. They were forced to play the "less injured" Wells because he was the best option at the time.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I can see a ton of UDFA O-Lineman this season for competition and possibly just to lesson reps that enevitably lead to the Virus of injuries the Rams have had for almost a decade on the O-Line going back to GSOT days when players stayed on the field mostly even if banged up as all offensive lineman get beat up with ankle injuries from being rolled up and its just so common.

The Center position seems to be an area we all should be looking at with 3 players if we get Barnes back that CAN at least trot out and play the Pivot. I think it is more of a key position than the NFL does with the OLT spot getting the big money against speed rushers while the NFL sends so many blitzes up the centers gaps these days if you don't have a MAJOR stud there with awesome arm strength and UNINJURED then your QB won't have any shelf life at all and all you'll do is the infamous Bradford checkdown.....

I'd really like to see Wis signed and at least know his injury history and then try to coach some fire into him as he does lack the aggressive nature a player like Scherff would bring. For those thinking Scherff is'nt a top 10 pick, I predict his playing OG like Martin did last year for the cowboys at a very high level (think Martin is better than Scherff) but someone will move up or reach for the Iowa guard with the very impressive playing history and try to control his OVER aggressive nature that would allow for him to get beat in todays blitzes he has never seen in college ball.

If he's gone at 10 I'm sue Snead will have his list of who we want next Collins,Flowers, or someone we have'nt thought would go that high and hope we have a trading partner to trade back a few spots with. I don't think Erving is our answer at Center as I've personally watched every snap here at FSU of his one year at center his Senior year just like our own Barrett Jones did his Senior year at Bama. Don't think it will work from body type first of all. Jones at least had that working for him. Dismukes isn't even 300lbs and is not the stud we need. He'd have to have a long time to add the weight muscle wise first. WE CAN'T WAIT.

I truly believe the holdup with Barksdale is length of contract. I'll bet we're offering 2 years and he wants 4. I'd put $$$ on it. We can draft his replacement in many ORT's this year and his lack of versatility just does'nt cut it with Fisher who wants his guys to know more than one spot.JB can't play guard. That hurts. We do need someone who can stay on the field though. That works for him. We'll see what happens before the draft as this thing is dragging out and some of this should have been addressed earlier IMO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What I am saying , that in the months leading up to the draft, and during the FA signing period, there was NO REASON to know that Scott Wells would be stricken with a life threatening illness that would cause him to drop almost 30 lbs, and cause him to play catch up for the first 6 weeks of the season. OR that he would injure his elbow.

Or that they could have known that Barnes would suffer a shoulder injury in training camp, and then a rib injury 4 weeks into the season. What I am saying, that the ONE position on the O-Line that seemed to be deep and taken care of was Center? At least at the time they would have had to make those decisions. I know that Scott Wells is everyone's whipping boy, but when the guy was healthy, he was a good player. The problem was, once he put on a Rams uniform, he was rarely healthy. But you tell me how they would have known he would get sick a couple of weeks BEFORE training camp.

All you seem to see, is what happens on Sundays, and think that it should be obvious to anyone in the organization to "get it fixed". Sh%t Happens, and its not always something they can plan for. This team endured 4 injuries to ONE position last year. They were forced to play the "less injured" Wells because he was the best option at the time.

No. When teams find themselves with 3 injured/ill players on a 3 man unit, they seek help. You look to trade, you look for street F/A's, sometimes you raid a competitors practice squad. When starters go down, you look to your depth, when that goes down, you go outside. With Jones' health history, you must know better than to rely on his ability to be available. If Jones was healthy at the beginning of the season, why didn't he open instead of the ailing Wells ? If Rhaney couldn't be brought up, seems there were other options that weren't exercised. It's not like this team was so deep we couldn't have done more to secure the position. Wells was an obvious problem, you suggest we had nothing behind him to move up, and we just leave it at that ?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No. When teams find themselves with 3 injured/ill players on a 3 man unit, they seek help. You look to trade, you look for street F/A's, sometimes you raid a competitors practice squad. When starters go down, you look to your depth, when that goes down, you go outside. With Jones' health history, you must know better than to rely on his ability to be available. If Jones was healthy at the beginning of the season, why didn't he open instead of the ailing Wells ? If Rhaney couldn't be brought up, seems there were other options that weren't exercised. It's not like this team was so deep we couldn't have done more to secure the position. Wells was an obvious problem, you suggest we had nothing behind him to move up, and we just leave it at that ?

Jones had ONE injury prior to the back injury he suffered last year. So referring to him as having "a history of injuries" seems off the mark. Jones was NOT available at the beginning of the season, nor was Barnes. And Rhaney has already been placed on IR. All this took place within a matter of weeks, AFTER training camp had started.

You seem to be under the impression that anyone they would have brought in at that point would have been able to just step in and be productive in a system more than likely foreign to them. No offense, but you sound like you think this is fantasy football. Get rid of this guy and plug in the next.

And please explain to me, why you think that whoever they would have brought in, at that point in time. would be any kind of an upgrade.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone is trying to make Barnes a priority. And no one, including me, think he will be a top 20 Center. But so what? Why does it always begin and end with EVERY player having to be considered a "top 10 this, or Top 20" that?

What Tim Barnes is, is a very good depth player, who provided versatility, who knows the system, and will not break the bank. If its not him, they will certainly have to replace him with another of his kind. Or someone of a lesser player.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
He doesn't seem like the best value pick at #10.
Was Martin a good pick last year for the Cowboys?

Depth is good. I can't shake this feeling that Fisher wants Scherff.
Ya Scherff can plug and play at both guard spots and RT... Not a sexy pick but would be great if we don't trade down

We are not picking at #10. We trade down for a late (second half of round one) and a two. We take 2 OL with the first two picks then a QB with our other second. And do it again in the 3rd (OL)

I too hope we can trade down while adding another 2nd rd pick...Like where your heads up ;)

So Rams are negotiating with themselves for Barnes and Barksdale? (n)
lmao

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Barnes offer HAS to be vet Minimum deal with an incentive clause if he has major playing time he gets more just like Reynolds. We need every buck as we really NEED one of our 3 OL we all have mentioned too much. I think we must be offering JB a 2 year deal and he wants more. We will not move off of that as we can draft an ORT in Collins (who I'd want at guard first) Flowers and Peat might be a head case from his combine interviews I heard about. Peat is hot and very cold and would love to get another player if possible. Some team may love him and think his giant lower body can be coached up. He scares me and Clemmings did'nt dominate as expected at Senior bowl practices and its gonna take scouts that know their stuff to decide on him.

My biggest question before the season starts is Who is our CENTER going to be? A healthy person who can play all season? Please LORD . The rest we can work out . A real center? Thats gonna be tough. Barnes has too far to go from last years guy to start all season and into our first Post Season in Forever.