Tiger Woods injured in roll over crash.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Word is he hasn't been sleeping well since his back surgery and is still in considerable pain. Guessing his meds made him drowsy when he got behind the wheel.

Have to hope he recovers so he can continue his golfing career. Get well Tiger!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Seems the word from EMTs on the scene said he was lucid and calm.

Alcohol doesn't seem to be indicated.

I've been on that road a bit as @Tano has.

It's slick like goose shit with the dew which once evaporated, you'd never know. That's because like lots of SoCal roads, the little bit of moisture brings out the oils enough to make things slick, but not enough to wash anything away. That's why the first good rain of the wet season is just nonsense on the roads.

Rancho Palos Verdes is a very wealthy enclave, so they keep the roads nice...and newer roads can actually get slicker with the morning dew. This was a big issue when I would ride my morning rides all along the Santa Monica bay area while training for triathlon. My big crash on Sunset, that's what happened. Went from grooved asphalt to blacktop and the morning dew turned the blacktop super slick and I slid into oncoming traffic...at 30mph. So I can personally attest that the dew can be a real issue. The lack of skid marks lends credence to this being a possibility.

Couple that with animals (you do get trash pandas and other wildlife in that area), running late, pain meds and distraction and yeah... any number of things could have led to that crash.

It's even worse heading north on PCH out of RPV because it comes down in elevation a fair bit and then bends to the left, pretty sharply. I've seen the guard rails as PCH enters Redondo Beach from Rancho Palos Verdes down there and oof... some big wrecks.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm impressed with this Genesis GV80. That was one hell of a long trip he took while doing a tumbling routine in his car and it is in great condition all things considered. It withstanding crumpling into a ball and the airbags probably saved his life I'd assume.

1614177792261.png

Tano

Legend
Seems the word from EMTs on the scene said he was lucid and calm.

Alcohol doesn't seem to be indicated.

I've been on that road a bit as @Tano has.

It's slick like goose shit with the dew which once evaporated, you'd never know. That's because like lots of SoCal roads, the little bit of moisture brings out the oils enough to make things slick, but not enough to wash anything away. That's why the first good rain of the wet season is just nonsense on the roads.

Rancho Palos Verdes is a very wealthy enclave, so they keep the roads nice...and newer roads can actually get slicker with the morning dew. This was a big issue when I would ride my morning rides all along the Santa Monica bay area while training for triathlon. My big crash on Sunset, that's what happened. Went from grooved asphalt to blacktop and the morning dew turned the blacktop super slick and I slid into oncoming traffic...at 30mph. So I can personally attest that the dew can be a real issue. The lack of skid marks lends credence to this being a possibility.

Couple that with animals (you do get trash pandas and other wildlife in that area), running late, pain meds and distraction and yeah... any number of things could have led to that crash.

It's even worse heading north on PCH out of RPV because it comes down in elevation a fair bit and then bends to the left, pretty sharply. I've seen the guard rails as PCH enters Redondo Beach from Rancho Palos Verdes down there and oof... some big wrecks.
I was just informed by my brother that he was on his way to the Rolling Hills Golf Course which is where my brother worked for over 5 years about 30 to 40 years ago

Tano

Legend
Well the Sheriff report is out and what happened is pretty much what I figured.

He was going too fast - about 75 to 85 miles per hour on a 45 MPH road.

He probably hit some slickness on the road and completely lost control at that speed.

I will admit I have gone 55 to 65 on that road. It is real easy to do going downhill.

But when it is wet - I slow down a lot.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well the Sheriff report is out and what happened is pretty much what I figured.

He was going too fast - about 75 to 85 miles per hour on a 45 MPH road.

He probably hit some slickness on the road and completely lost control at that speed.

I will admit I have gone 55 to 65 on that road. It is real easy to do going downhill.

But when it is wet - I slow down a lot.

I read that he didn't hit the break and the pedal was at 99% pressed. They think he confused gas for the break but to me it sounds like someone falling asleep. He was extremely lucky.