Throwback Thursday: Irv Pankey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Irv shocked me when he announced who he would take off the current roster to win the Rams their game the NFC title against the 49ers. Absolutely shocked me! Hope you guys enjoy!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Irv shocked me when he announced who he would take off the current roster to win the Rams their game the NFC title against the 49ers. Absolutely shocked me! Hope you guys enjoy!
You might be shocked by the answer, Jake. Not me. I was at the game. The kid born 6 years later, and 20 miles North of Candlestick would not have taken a ghost-sack.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Irv Pankey is one of my favorites and most underrated Los Angeles Rams of all time. I still remember when he was drafted and I was watcing the draft on ESPN at the time, when the Rams drafted him, Pankey was listed as a TE, he had played TE at Penn State.

After the pick Paul Zimmerman was working on load from Sports Illustrated for ESPN and he said that he would play Offensive Tackle in the NFL and Zimmerman was oh so right. Again all of us were spoiled back then going from Charley Cowan, to Doug France to Irv Pankey and later on to Orlando Pace, some great LT in the history of the Rams and another great podcast @jakebogen95 Pankey was very special player.
tackle-irv-pankey-of-the-st-louis-rams-gets-ready-to-go-on-the-field-picture-id106447657

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's Rich Saul was the best center of all time and in fact, Saul played on speical teams before he started and was a far better athlete then Smith and I will never forgive Smith for the fumble against the 49ers on a Monday Night game with the Rams about to score and put the game away, but Smith did not wipe his hands off and the ball slipped out when snapping the football, which led to a 49er comeback on December 11th in 1989.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jake, I am thoroughly enjoying these. I remember watching Irv Pankey for all of the years he played for us, and yes, that Oline was amazing. That loss to the 49ers in the NFC Champ Game still haunts me, and it's remarkable about his pick from this current roster over Jim Everett. Jim comes to many Ram's events and his next meeting with Pankey might be a little tense....lol. I guess the Phantom Sack was taken harder by him than even by all of us who were crushed that day.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course I made the mistake of re-opening the wound by watching some 1989 Rams clips. We played the Niners three times that year, of course. We beat them at Candlestick in the first match, and then battled in Anaheim for the NFC West lead in the game 2 rematch, we lost by 3 points. Our team played so well that year, only to lose 30-3 in the Phantom sack game. I don't remember the score being that lopsided, but then I was embarrassed watching my QB fall to the ground without being touched. Everett was never the same after that.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Irv Pankey is one of my favorites and most underrated Los Angeles Rams of all time. I still remember when he was drafted and I was watcing the draft on ESPN at the time, when the Rams drafted him, Pankey was listed as a TE, he had played TE at Penn State.

After the pick Paul Zimmerman was working on load from Sports Illustrated for ESPN and he said that he would play Offensive Tackle in the NFL and Zimmerman was oh so right. Again all of us were spoiled back then going from Charley Cowan, to Doug France to Irv Pankey and later on to Orlando Pace, some great LT in the history of the Rams and another great podcast @jakebogen95 Pankey was very special player.
tackle-irv-pankey-of-the-st-louis-rams-gets-ready-to-go-on-the-field-picture-id106447657
Man, I appreciate and look forward to every comment you put out after listening. You are so knowledgeable I feel like I learn something every post!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, I appreciate and look forward to every comment you put out after listening. You are so knowledgeable I feel like I learn something every post!
"ahem!" ~LoyalRam