Three things about the Rams’ offense that irk me...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don't claim to be a football guru but, as a fan, there are three things I've observed about the Rams' offense that irk me:

1. "TURBO SET! TURBO SET! TURBO SET... time out."
Is it me, or does it seem like, at least once per game, the Rams come to the line, Goff barks out signals, the clock runs down, and we take an untimely time out? I get the whole "changing the play at the line of scrimmage" and "trying to draw the defense offsides" things, but time outs (particularly in the second half) are too valuable to squander this way.

2. Relying on YAC on third and manageable.
Sometimes, when its 3rd and 10 or more, and the defense has its ears pinned back, ready to go after the QB, a quick screen can be a safe way to avoid the rush and, in some cases, pick up a first down. When its 3rd and 5-9, though, I think the ball should pretty much always be thrown far enough to move the chains. A 2 yard pass play on third and 6 really annoys me.

3. Hurry Up Offense... its not just for the final 2 minutes!
Against the 49ers and Dolphins, when the Rams needed to come back, I felt like there was a lack of urgency on drives in the 3rd and early 4th quarters. Given that we are often effective in no huddle and quick-snap situations, why wait?

Maybe its me, or maybe you've seen the same things...

Anyway... nothing that a nice 30 point blowout win couldn't fix!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Also, when it's 3rd and yards to go, defenses know Goff is throwing the ball to Cooper Kupp.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Also, on third and 2 get out of the fucking shotgun and run the ball more. Runs out of the shotgun are too often big fails. RB can not get any momentum. Let the O linement do what they do, blast guys and demoralize the defense. Then take big shots downfield.
Myself, I would like to see a wide formation, make them defend the whole field and get rid of packed defenders up the middle. And line up in the I, yes the I formation with a lead blocker and let the ball carrier get a full head of steam.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here’s a couple of target improvement areas;

We need to be better at converting short yardage, following timeouts. I don’t know our exact rate here, but we’ve missed a few off my memory. Got to convert those.

I‘d also like to sit on those 2nd half timeouts, until late. We have a team capable of comebacks... good idea to make the game as long as possible in the 2nd half, if we need it.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is my last post about this topic. I wish the offense could make the second half adjustments that the defense does.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I want to see more Tight End action (specifically Higbee) and more Jefferson and less of Reynolds. Dont get me wrong I like both Everett and Reynolds but Higbee gives me more confidence plus I've been waiting for Mcvay to continue to use the TEs like he did late last year.

As for Reynolds he's a good WR3 but I feel like Jefferson in his place could help the offense take the next step and get out of this funk. I could be wrong but my eyes tell me Jefferson is better and has a higher ceiling.

Lastly id like to see the RBs a little more involved in the passing game. Dump offs to Gurley use to go for 10+ yards all the time and I think Henderson is capable of doing the same thing.

TomMack

Rookie
The only thing that irks me about the Rams offense is the thought that they might have a knucklehead for a quarterback.
I hope I’m wrong because they might have an all great coach that’s putting all his eggs in the wrong basket.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are among the league leaders in max protection snaps in their passing game for a reason: they are two deep at wideout in terms of threats. McVay has been adjusting to his players but he's sitting on a guy who can help them get out of that funk in Jefferson.

More 11 personnel is the answer IMO. Get Jefferson ready. And give at least half of Brown's snaps to Akers it's time to feature the young RBs who fit what McVay wants to do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here’s a couple of target improvement areas;

We need to be better at converting short yardage, following timeouts. I don’t know our exact rate here, but we’ve missed a few off my memory. Got to convert those.

I‘d also like to sit on those 2nd half timeouts, until late. We have a team capable of comebacks... good idea to make the game as long as possible in the 2nd half, if we need it.
vhf3bBL.gif

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
RB and TE screens while using Kupp and Woods as decoys. They already draw attention, use it against the D.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Lastly id like to see the RBs a little more involved in the passing game. Dump offs to Gurley use to go for 10+ yards all the time and I think Henderson is capable of doing the same thing.

I find it frustrating that the 2017 Goff used to easily dump it over blitzers' heads to Gurley for long gains. It seemed easy for him to make them pay back then.
images.jpg

dang

Legend
1. Losing to the Bills when we had them by the nut sack.
2. Losing to the frickin 69ers with a horrible defensive half. making Jimmy G-string look all pro.
3. Giving the game to the Dolphins via a horrible series of gut wrenching turnovers. Knowing just an average offensive day would have netted them a 21 point victory.

They must execute and adjust if they want to play with the big boys. Starting this Sunday with the Seahawks. Lay another egg and momentum and confidence will dip to an unbearable low.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
As I said in another post,

Don't blame Goff.

Don't blame McVay.

Don't blame the refs.

Don't blame the defense or special teams.

Win at least 6 of these last 8 games and make a run at the Lombardi.

No excuses in the NFL. You are what your record says you are.

quote-you-are-what-your-record-says-you-are-bill-parcells-71-19-15.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No excuses in the NFL. You are what your record says you are.

Are you? Tell that to the woe is me crowd.

The Rams are 5 and 3. I could have sworn they were 0 and 8 and had Mitch Trubisky as their qb with the amount of angst permeating through this site the last couple of weeks.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Are you? Tell that to the woe is me crowd.

The Rams are 5 and 3. I could have sworn they were 0 and 8 and had Mitch Trubisky as their qb with the amount of angst permeating through this site the last couple of weeks.

5 and 3 looks good but doesn't tell the whole story. Goffs bad play, special teams maybe a d+ rating and a coach who calls shitty games is why all the angst. The defense is awsome and their coach could be gone next year. They need to win 6 of 8. Tall order

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 and 3 looks good but doesn't tell the whole story. Goffs bad play, special teams maybe a d+ rating and a coach who calls shitty games is why all the angst. The defense is awsome and their coach could be gone next year. They need to win 6 of 8. Tall order

Nobody wants to see or is happy when the Rams lose and their qb plays horribly. But the vent thread is there to blow some steam for the next day.

But it's not like it's happening every week. No team plays lights out every week. That's why i can't understand the gloom and doom posts.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are among the league leaders in max protection snaps in their passing game for a reason: they are two deep at wideout in terms of threats. McVay has been adjusting to his players but he's sitting on a guy who can help them get out of that funk in Jefferson.

More 11 personnel is the answer IMO. Get Jefferson ready. And give at least half of Brown's snaps to Akers it's time to feature the young RBs who fit what McVay wants to do.

I think I read weve been in 11 something like 73%? I agree about more VJ though - it's time and Reynolds won't be here next year, and the offense needs a boost.

Akers thing is tricky - I def want more of him than Brown, but with pass pro, it's got to be whoever Goff is comfortable with