Thomas Brown adds assistant head coach title - Rams finalize staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
8m946qz4u9j61.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I had mentioned that I thought that Chris Shula would get the whole package of LB unit from Barry's departure. I believe Shula is also a rising coach to the future too.

Seeing more of a workload thrown onto DL coach Henderson is a good decision too. I feel the Rams will see much more DL'ers on the field more often with Morris/Henderson.

I also mentioned in a post that Jonathan Cooley would end up coaching the secondary too. The promotion of Ejiro Evero just feels right both Morris & Evero worked together coaching the defensive secondary in Tampa. During that two-year span, Tampa Bay allowed the second-fewest passing yards per game in the NFL (170.5) and also ranked among the league leaders with 22 interceptions.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there any chance that they wanted and spoke to DeCamillis this time last year and couldn’t get him for whatever reason, but said he’d come this year? They then hire Bonamego to keep the seat warm for a year with the promise of the job he now has at the end of it? Apologies if someone has already said this.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there any chance that they wanted and spoke to DeCamillis this time last year and couldn’t get him for whatever reason, but said he’d come this year? They then hire Bonamego to keep the seat warm for a year with the promise of the job he now has at the end of it? Apologies if someone has already said this.
Haven’t heard that but it’s not out of the realm of possibilities. Btw go Hammers!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Who ended up as the Offensive Run Game coordinator? Kevin Carberry ?

Ex-Georgia RB Thomas Brown elevated within Los Angeles Rams organization (247sports.com)
Ex-Georgia RB Thomas Brown elevated within Los Angeles Rams organization
ByJAKE ROWE
10271818.jpg

Former Georgia running back Thomas Brown is getting a promotion with the Los Angeles Rams. After spending a season as the running backs coach, Brown has been elevated to assistant head coach.

The title is used similarly at the NFL level as it is in college. It's almost always a title to justify a raise, but it also comes with added responsibility unique to each organization. It's an impressive move up the ladder for Brown, who is only 34 years old. It should also be mentioned that the man who promoted him, Sean McVay, is only 35 years old and became the Rams' head coach at the age of 30.

Brown will be working with a guy he shared the field with at Georgia. Los Angeles traded a first-round picks in 2022 and 2023 along with a third-round pick in 2021 to Detroit for Matthew Stafford. The two were together at UGA in 2006 and 2007, helping lead the Bulldogs to an 11-2 record and a No. 2 final ranking in the latter of those two years.

A Tucker High School product, Brown got his coaching career started at UGA in 2011 as an assistant with the strength program. He went on to coach running backs at Chattanooga in 2012, Marshall in 2013, and Wisconsin in 2014 before making it back to the Classic City as an assistant coach. He was the running backs coach for Mark Richt's final year at UGA and joined his former head coach at Miami as the offensive coordinator and running backs coach in 2016. He spent three years in Coral Gables and left to coach running backs at South Carolina in 2019 after Richt retired.

Brown was hired as the Rams running backs coach before the 2020 season and is entering his second season with the organization. McVay made it clear when he hired Brown that he saw a great deal of potential.

“I think that there’s no limit for this guy,” McVay said in October. “I’d be so happy for him if he continues to ascend but sad for the Rams. I think he can do whatever he wants. I think he’s definitely a coordinator. I think he’s got head coach potential, in terms of his leadership and the way he relates to guys. This guy’s a great coach. I don’t think there’s any sort of ceiling or limitations on what he’s not able to accomplish at this level.”

In his first season with the Rams, Brown helped the rushing attack finish 10th in the NFL despite struggles at quarterback. He also helped develop Cam Akers into one of the league's most exciting young backs. He rushed 143 times for 625 yards and two scores in the regular season. He toted it 46 times for 221 yards and a pair of scores in two postseason games

LA Rams finalize coaching staff with new hires, promotions
BY GREG BEACHAM AP SPORTS WRITER
FEBRUARY 23, 2021

LA Rams finalize coaching staff with new hires, promotions | San Luis Obispo Tribune

The Los Angeles Rams have finalized their coaching staff for next season, hiring five additional new assistant coaches and making several promotions.

Rams coach Sean McVay announced the moves Tuesday.

The Rams hired offensive line coach Kevin Carberry, assistant defensive line coach Marcus Dixon, assistant special teams coach Dwayne Stukes, and offensive assistants Nick Jones and Chris O’Hara.

McVay lost seven assistant coaches in several key positions in the month after the Rams' fourth consecutive winning season during his tenure ended with a playoff loss at Green Bay. Notably, defensive coordinator Brandon Staley took over the Los Angeles Chargers; pass game coordinator Shane Waldron became the Seahawks' offensive coordinator; and run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer left the team.

Los Angeles already hired Raheem Morris as the new defensive coordinator and Joe DiCamillis as its special teams coordinator after moving John Bonamego to senior coaching assistant.

Along with the new hires, McVay added the job of assistant head coach to running backs coach Thomas Brown, who was praised repeatedly last season by McVay as a rising coaching star.

McVay also added pass game coordinator to tight ends coach Wes Phillips' duties, and added run game coordinator to defensive line coach Eric Henderson's job.

Chris Shula, McVay's college teammate at Miami of Ohio and the grandson of Don Shula, the NFL's winningest head coach, was promoted to linebackers coach after four seasons with the Rams. Thad Bogardus moved from assistant defensive line coach to assistant linebackers coach.

Ejiro Evero was promoted to secondary coach and pass game coordinator, while Zak Kromer was promoted to offensive assistant coach. Jonathan Cooley also moved up to assistant secondary coach.

Carberry spent one season with McVay as Washington's assistant offensive line coach while McVay was the offensive coordinator on Jay Gruden's staff in 2016. He spent the past three seasons at Stanford as the offensive line coach and running game coordinator.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We were all awaiting on what the would do and I'm pleased with the results, as there was quite a bit of movement, but IMO, the likes of Brown, Henderson & Evero received well deserved promotions and @BonifayRam was right on point on Chris Shula and maybe Shula's promotion was for the fact that he recommended Brandon Staley to McVay for DC.

Thomas Brown....What's not to like? After one year, the revolving door at RB, they all shined & it's possible the Rams might draft another. Brown balances McVay well, now again with success comes poaching, but Thomas Brown is on the rise and it won't be long to he's a Head Coach in the NFL or running a major program at the collegiate level.

Wes Phillips....Love this promotion to pass game coordinator as the TE's have been much improved under his watch and I expect it to improve with 2nd year man Brycen Hopkins. Phillips has coached QB's in the past too, so if O'Connell moves on Phillips would be the next Offensive Coordinator.

Ejiro Evero....Many of us were concerned with the loss of Aubrey Pleasant, however, thankfully the Packers did not hire Evero too. Combining Evero with Jonathan Cooley, should ensure the secondary does not miss a step as I'm hoping Cooley can coach up David Long a bit.

Eric Henderson...Coach Henny has been a hit, since the hired him away from the Chargers and his promotion to Run Game Coordinator is well deserved. Huge upgrade over Bill Johnson and I believe that game McVay confidence in his ability to judge coaching talent as Johnson was a good ole boy and friend of Wade Phillips. Henderson another assistant trending upward and I'm glad he's on our sideline.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They certainly value Brown and he did a great job executing the plan to move on from Gurley. So congrats to him on the promotion.

Also Shula did a great job and has now for two years running. So IMO there's a good chance Barry was told it was time to move on. 4 years is a good window, thanks Coach Barry but I am eager to see Shula's stamp on those two position groups.

I think all these defensive guys are coaching for a chance at DC when Morris gets hired away next offseason. Fans hate it but the coaches love it and we have a few good ones who need to show they can handle more responsibility if they want McVay to give them the nod. I love how he can separate friendship and promotions. Not all coaches can do that, it's a tough thing to pull off IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams finalize 2021 coaching staff

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay's coaching staff for the 2021 season is set. Announced by McVay on Tuesday, his group consists of the 19 members listed below.

* = new addition to coaching staff, ^ = new title

Senior Coaching Assistant: John Bonamego^

Offense:

Offensive Coordinator: Kevin O'Connell
Running Backs Coach/Assistant Head Coach: Thomas Brown^
Offensive Line Coach: Kevin Carberry^
Tight Ends Coach/Pass Game Coordinator: Wes Phillips^
Assistant Quarterbacks: Zac Robinson
Wide Receivers Coach: Eric Yarber
Offensive Assistant: Nick Jones*
Offensive Assistant: Zak Kromer^
Offensive Assistant: Chris O'Hara*
Defense:

Defensive Coordinator: Raheem Morris*
Assistant Linebackers Coach: Thad Bogardus^
Assistant Secondary Coach: Jonathan Cooley^
Assistant Defensive Line Coach: Marcus Dixon*
Secondary Coach/Pass Game Coordinator: Ejiro Evero^
Defensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator: Eric Henderson^
Linebackers Coach: Chris Shula^
Special Teams:

Special Teams Coordinator: Joe DeCamillis*
Assistant Special Teams Coach: Dwayne Stukes*

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay's coaching staff for the 2021 season is set. Announced by McVay on Tuesday, his group consists of the 19 members listed below.

Senior Doughnut Consultant: John Bonamego^

Offense:

Doughnut Pickup: Chris O'Hara*
Defense:

Special Teams:

There I fixed it.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Senior Coaching Assistant: John Bonamego^

Offense:

Offensive Assistant: Chris O'Hara*
Defense:

Special Teams:

It's been a lot of turnover, but there's a lot of talent going forward.

I like the internal promotions and the additions of Morris, Carberry and DeCamillis. McVay is continuing to hire and empower talented young coaches.

oldnotdead

Legend
A lot of the promotions, such as with Brown come with an elevated title. What that does is make it harder for teams to keep poaching the staff. It gives the Rams a reason to deny requests from other teams. This is another indication that Snead and McVay have said enough is enough. There is no question that this will change the team. In someways a question mark as with Morris though I feel he is going to be a very good addition. In other areas, it's a clear upgrade, i.e. Carberry over Kromer.

If the o-line does improve with the addition of Stafford this offense could be extremely dangerous. You have to love the combination of Akers the basher, and Henderson the slasher at RB. They will dink and dunk them to death then put them out of their misery with a deep strike.

This combination of McVay as HC and Snead's FO continues to impress me. I love that our team is all in to win but still appears to be building for the long term.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like we were bleeding coaches left and right for the last week and now BAM - we have our 2021 coaching staff in place.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Really like our staff. Lots of young talent here.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
pardon me if i've missed it, but was there ever any more reason given for kromer's departure other that mutual decision? seemed odd for him to be out but his son to still be here

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams’ coaching staff features new faces, new roles

Opponents have raided Rams coach Sean McVay’s staff this year, hiring away a half-dozen star assistants.

It’s a headache McVay seems to have accepted as a price of success – and a chance to radically reshape his sideline roster.

The 2021 coaching staff the Rams announced Tuesday features seven new faces, five holdovers with expanded duties, and an array of freshly created job titles.

Among the promotions, running backs coach Thomas Brown got the additional title of assistant head coach, a role held by linebackers coach Joe Barry before he left to become the Packers’ defensive coordinator.

The Rams made official the hires of Kevin Carberry from Stanford to be offensive line coach; Marcus Dixon from Hampton University as assistant defensive line coach; Dwayne Stukes from the Jaguars as assistant special teams coach; and Nick Jones from the Falcons and Chris O’Hara from the Jaguars as offensive assistants.

Introduced earlier were new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris and special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis.

The first Rams staff made up entirely of coaches hired since McVay took over in 2017 reflects a growing diversity of backgrounds.

Dixon, 36, is known as a one-time NFL defensive end but perhaps more for a court case that began when he was in high school near Rome, Ga. He was convicted of misdemeanor statutory rap and aggravated child molestation, the cause célèbre attracting the attention of Oprah Winfrey and civil rights leaders. He was freed from prison after the Georgia Supreme Court overturned the conviction on the latter charge, but he lost a football scholarship to Vanderbilt, and played instead at Hampton.

McVay didn’t speak with reporters in unveiling the new staff but is expected to do so in the coming days.

With the Rams revealing Tuesday that special-teams assistant coach Tory Woodbury is no longer on the staff, eight assistants have left the team since its second-round exit from the playoffs. The most prominent is defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, hired by the Chargers as head coach. The NFL’s top-ranked defense also lost Barry and cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant.

On the 19-man coaching staff, only McVay, offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell and wide receivers coach Eric Yarber have exactly the same job titles as last season.

In addition to Brown becoming assistant head coach, tight ends coach Wes Phillips is adding the title of pass game coordinator, replacing Shane Waldron, now the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator; former outside linebackers coach Chris Shula’s job is now called linebackers coach, covering his and Barry’s roles; former safeties coach Ejiro Evero now coach of the entire secondary as well as defensive pass game coordinator; and defensive line coach Eric Henderson is taking on the additional tag of defensive run game coordinator.

The defensive pass- and run-game coordinator titles are new. So are the titles of linebackers and secondary coach and assistant coach, which replace the old roles of inside and outside linebackers coaches and cornerbacks and safeties coaches.

RAMS 2021 COACHING STAFF
Sean McVay, head coach

COORDINATORS

Kevin O’Connell, offense

Raheem Morris, defense

Joe DeCamillis, special teams

OFFENSE

Thomas Brown, running backs and assistant head coach

Wes Phillips, tight ends and pass game coordinator

Eric Yarber, wide receivers

Zac Robinson, assistant quarterbacks

Kevin Carberry, offensive line

Zak Kromer, Nick Jones, Chris O’Hara, offensive assistants

DEFENSE

Eric Henderson, defensive line and run game coordinator

Ejiro Evero, secondary and defensive pass game coordinator

Chris Shula, linebackers

Marcus Dixon, assistant defensive line

Thad Bogardus, assistant linebackers

Jonathan Cooley, assistant secondary

SPECIAL TEAMS

Dwayne Stukes, assistant special teams

John Bonamego, senior coaching assistant

STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING

Justin Lovett, director

Jamel Cooper, John Griffin, Zach Witherspoon, assistants

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
pardon me if i've missed it, but was there ever any more reason given for kromer's departure other that mutual decision? seemed odd for him to be out but his son to still be here

Philosophical differences is all you're going to get (might of had to do with personnel) and I too at first thought it was odd to keep his son Zak on the staff, but not really, why have both out of work? I'm sure there might have been a gentleman's agreement to keep Zak on and once Aaron Kromer gets his new gig, which I believe will be next year, I'm betting Zak ends up joining him or maybe, Zak feels good about being in Los Angeles and believes it's time to make a name for himself.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Philosophical differences is all you're going to get (might of had to do with personnel) and I too at first thought it was odd to keep his son Zak on the staff, but not really, why have both out of work? I'm sure there might have been a gentleman's agreement to keep Zak on and once Aaron Kromer gets his new gig, which I believe will be next year, I'm betting Zak ends up joining him or maybe, Zak feels good about being in Los Angeles and believes it's time to make a name for himself.
Wtf coach!! How can you have it both ways with Zak?? It either or ?

-blue font-
Well maybe Mcvay wasn’t going to make more drama out of it all & flat out Fire Zak!!

to me it is a good move & good timing for all.Yes Zak I’m sure shakes his head at his dads coaching sometimes.In fact I’ve seen it & he is a step ahead of His Dad Aaron Kromer a lot of the times getting the next drill set up.
Mcvay is excellent & upfront. He is showing he is The Leader of The Rams!! There is NO FREAKING doubt about that.Just look at Wes Phillips as well.To say that isn’t working between them after not resigning Wade would be an understatement. Bringing it up to me about Zak being a follower at this point in his coaching career would be silly IMO. Look at Fisher & Williams when they coached The Rams.
As long as The Rams coaching staff doesn’t embarrass & act a FOOL it’s okay in my book.Indy in the bushes.raft,. Ask Andy Reed about his son & The Focus that team had in the SuperBowl.Thise are distractions a Organization doesn’t need. He

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams’ coaching staff features new faces, new roles

Opponents have raided Rams coach Sean McVay’s staff this year, hiring away a half-dozen star assistants.

It’s a headache McVay seems to have accepted as a price of success – and a chance to radically reshape his sideline roster.

The 2021 coaching staff the Rams announced Tuesday features seven new faces, five holdovers with expanded duties, and an array of freshly created job titles.

Among the promotions, running backs coach Thomas Brown got the additional title of assistant head coach, a role held by linebackers coach Joe Barry before he left to become the Packers’ defensive coordinator.

The Rams made official the hires of Kevin Carberry from Stanford to be offensive line coach; Marcus Dixon from Hampton University as assistant defensive line coach; Dwayne Stukes from the Jaguars as assistant special teams coach; and Nick Jones from the Falcons and Chris O’Hara from the Jaguars as offensive assistants.

Introduced earlier were new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris and special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis.

The first Rams staff made up entirely of coaches hired since McVay took over in 2017 reflects a growing diversity of backgrounds.

Dixon, 36, is known as a one-time NFL defensive end but perhaps more for a court case that began when he was in high school near Rome, Ga. He was convicted of misdemeanor statutory rap and aggravated child molestation, the cause célèbre attracting the attention of Oprah Winfrey and civil rights leaders. He was freed from prison after the Georgia Supreme Court overturned the conviction on the latter charge, but he lost a football scholarship to Vanderbilt, and played instead at Hampton.

McVay didn’t speak with reporters in unveiling the new staff but is expected to do so in the coming days.

With the Rams revealing Tuesday that special-teams assistant coach Tory Woodbury is no longer on the staff, eight assistants have left the team since its second-round exit from the playoffs. The most prominent is defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, hired by the Chargers as head coach. The NFL’s top-ranked defense also lost Barry and cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant.

On the 19-man coaching staff, only McVay, offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell and wide receivers coach Eric Yarber have exactly the same job titles as last season.

In addition to Brown becoming assistant head coach, tight ends coach Wes Phillips is adding the title of pass game coordinator, replacing Shane Waldron, now the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator; former outside linebackers coach Chris Shula’s job is now called linebackers coach, covering his and Barry’s roles; former safeties coach Ejiro Evero now coach of the entire secondary as well as defensive pass game coordinator; and defensive line coach Eric Henderson is taking on the additional tag of defensive run game coordinator.

The defensive pass- and run-game coordinator titles are new. So are the titles of linebackers and secondary coach and assistant coach, which replace the old roles of inside and outside linebackers coaches and cornerbacks and safeties coaches.

RAMS 2021 COACHING STAFF
Sean McVay, head coach

COORDINATORS

Kevin O’Connell, offense

Raheem Morris, defense

Joe DeCamillis, special teams

OFFENSE

Thomas Brown, running backs and assistant head coach

Wes Phillips, tight ends and pass game coordinator

Eric Yarber, wide receivers

Zac Robinson, assistant quarterbacks

Kevin Carberry, offensive line

Zak Kromer, Nick Jones, Chris O’Hara, offensive assistants

DEFENSE

Eric Henderson, defensive line and run game coordinator

Ejiro Evero, secondary and defensive pass game coordinator

Chris Shula, linebackers

Marcus Dixon, assistant defensive line

Thad Bogardus, assistant linebackers

Jonathan Cooley, assistant secondary

SPECIAL TEAMS

Dwayne Stukes, assistant special teams

John Bonamego, senior coaching assistant

STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING

Justin Lovett, director

Jamel Cooper, John Griffin, Zach Witherspoon, assistants

I think some of these coaches fall into place. Not sure last season what Kromers job was exactly? I know Zac Robinson is no assistant QB coach. He is the QB coach at least on game day.
I also wonder what The Rams game day coaching booth will look like in 2021. NOT ONE POSTER could ANSWER what it looked like in 2020.
So anyone ?? Would be nice to know.
My observation as of NOW is Waldron & Kromer both moving on ONLY makes The Rams game day better imo.To many Cooks in the kitchen sort of speak.Kevin O”Connell gets to take on a BIGGER role & coaching experience with The Rams doesn’t mean as much.