This guy rules, wish he was in horns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Wasn't having a go at you and I'm sorry if that's how you read my post. I was talking about the NFL GMS & scouts, he was touted as the next 'big thing' and you can't deny that. My point was that you can not guarantee 100% how a player is going to turn out otherwise players like Brady, Romo, Moon, Nighttrain Lane and Warner would have been drafted #1 in their prospective years.

There are always going to be fans that love/hate certain players.
I didn't take it as a shot at all my Rams brother.
I do think there are certain ways you can increase your chance of success in drafting though.
If the word "project" is attached to a player I wouldn't mess with him before the late third round at the earliest.

Bigger programs have a better chance of putting out guys that are coachable.

Forget a one-year wonder on a team that has a lot of good players surrounding him.

Injuries in college tend to make injuries in the pros and vice versa.

A player should have two to three solid years of starting.

If a player is surrounded by talent and still shines through, that's a good sign.

Forget those combine numbers over the numbers he put in during games.

Just my opinion from watching Fisher fail for years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I loved Lewan after his combine....I think he tested better than Robinson....IMO
if the Titans drafted before the Rams they would have taken Robinson too.
No way to be sure Den....Lewan is also an incredible athlete....check his 40 time....his bench...and he was nasty....I was in here defending him as my top pick for OL'ers....

But...I wasn't mad at the G-Rob choice either...Just didn't want Matthews.
From the neck down GROB was off the charts,
So was Lewan.
And that “from the neck down” thing, is and always has been incredibly flawed thinking
From the neck down....Lewan was "still" the best selection....

I think I remember several guys bashing this dude...in here....and it's kinda why I write so much on guys.....dude said some crazy shit....who hasn't at 21? I'm not even sure he said that....it was reported....but clearly...after hearing him speak....he's a good dude....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No way to be sure Den....Lewan is also an incredible athlete....check his 40 time....his bench...and he was nasty....I was in here defending him as my top pick for OL'ers....

NDIANAPOLIS — Before quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers took their turn with on-field workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine, offensive linemen put on an athletic display on Saturday.

Here are the notable results, led by one dominant performance:

Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn (6-5, 332 pounds): Ran the 40-yard dash at a sizzling 4.84 seconds (1.68 10-yard split) in his second attempt. Also did 32 reps in the 225-pound bench press. Has 35-inch arms.

Robinson's stock continues to soar, as it has since college football's national championship game.

Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (6-7, 309): Was right behind Robinson with a 4.85 40 in his second attempt (1.70 split). Wasn't quite as strong with 29 reps, but he didn't disappoint at all.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ewan-jake-matthews/17amwc5cwbfct1lte4ssl24wf5

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree about not liking GRob's lack of pass protecting in college. Pass pro is the number one skill for a left tackle, and there wasn't any evidence that he could even do it well at the college level. I would have chosen Matthew's or K. Mack.

However, when it came to smarts, wasn't GRob an academic all American?

I didn't want anything to do with Lewan. His buddy the kicker rapes a girl and then he called her and was threatening her to keep quiet. Classy guy.

I'm with you on that. Character is always a tough call. I would have stayed far away from Lewan due to his issues in college. Any person who threatens to rape a woman if she goes to the police is not someone I want on any team of mine.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I didn't take it as a shot at all my Rams brother.
I do think there are certain ways you can increase your chance of success in drafting though.
If the word "project" is attached to a player I wouldn't mess with him before the late third round at the earliest.

Bigger programs have a better chance of putting out guys that are coachable.

Forget a one-year wonder on a team that has a lot of good players surrounding him.

Injuries in college tend to make injuries in the pros and vice versa.

A player should have two to three solid years of starting.

If a player is surrounded by talent and still shines through, that's a good sign.

Forget those combine numbers over the numbers he put in during games.

Just my opinion from watching Fisher fail for years.

All cool. Totally agree with you with regards to the rationale of selecting players. I look at the draft in a similar way, but throw in compatibility with existing players to a certain degree, especially if we're talking units on the field.

I don't have any problem in picking projects at a position where your team is rich, eg. If you have quality starting DE's I'd take a punt at an athletic raw prospect from Rd 4 on to sit on the depth chart and learn, I have a feeling this is what the Rams did this year in the draft too

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Honestly, if we're looking at what-could-have-been, then Khalil Mack is the obvious choice, not Taylor "I'll rape you if you go to the police with the fact that my buddy raped you" Lewan.

I personally don't care. What's done is done, and there's no point in living in the past when we have such a bright future.

Mack would have been a damn fine pick up ;)

Didn't know Lewan said that, that's just disgusting and I would have scrubbed him off my big board instantly - what sort of person uses rape as a threat

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Fisher passed on him.
In favor of GRob as I recall. :mad:
Sorry, but that was ALL Snead. Dude gets more love than I think he deserves on here, but he homered up that draft something fierce. GSlob AND Tre Mason from his alum. Terrible stuff. The AD pick was a no brainer, and I would almost bet that Fisher was behind that one. Not trying to hate on Snead, but I, for one, cannot forget some of the mind boggling picks he has made since being here.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We will never know what was "all Snead" and what was "all Fisher" or what was a bad decision on both of their parts or a good decision on both their parts.

Even now those guys are so estranged I wouldn't believe a word either one of them says as gospel in this regard.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Fisher fail not because of players...but coaches.
I'll go with both players AND coaches.
He had "final say" as he made sure to mention.

So he picked the coaches and he had final say on the players.

When you're in charge of a project and that project fails, that ultimately falls on you.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
.....the draft ....compatibility with existing players to a certain degree, especially if we're talking units on the field.
Good call.
I forgot to mention compatibility with systems that you're running on offense and defense.
You need good Scouts.
Scouts that understand the systems.
Scouts that communicate well with the coaches and coaches that communicate what they need to the scouts.

Too me, scouting remains the most underrated part of professional football.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn (6-5, 332 pounds): Ran the 40-yard dash at a sizzling 4.84 seconds (1.68 10-yard split) in his second attempt. Also did 32 reps in the 225-pound bench press. Has 35-inch arms.

Robinson's stock continues to soar, as it has since college football's national championship game.

Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (6-7, 309): Was right behind Robinson with a 4.85 40 in his second attempt (1.70 split). Wasn't quite as strong with 29 reps, but he didn't disappoint at all.
Ok Den...ya got me....

I'll give you one more....he(Lewan) came from a "pro-style" offense....but I wasn't mad at the G-Rob pick either....I could see why it was done...I just didn't want Matthews.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll give you one more....he(Lewan) came from a "pro-style" offense....but I wasn't mad at the G-Rob pick either....I could see why it was done...I just didn't want Matthews.

Matthews IMO, was the safest pick, plus he came from a family that understands what it takes to be a pro, IMHO, that's really important. When picking, you try to eliminate the risks, GROB, never was asked to pass block, Lewan off the field issues were too much of a red flag for me, whereas, Jake Matthews checked all the boxes and from the neck up, was superior to both Lewan & obviously GROB.

Again I believe strongly, if the Falcons picked before the Rams, they would have selected Robinson and the Titans too, if the Rams drafted after both teams, they would have Lewan most likely, but again that ship has sailed.