Think I'm the only one who didn't like the Donald pick...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
So let's forget about offense for a second then. Why use a high pick on a guy at a position of ABSOLUTE strength when you have immediate needs that can be filled??? Deone Bucannon, Darquez Dennard, Jason Verrett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix were all there and we could have traded back and got one...

I just don't really like it over other positions. Even if Donald is some Gerald McCoy type penetrator.
You should not draft that early for need. BPA or your asking for trouble.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Not gonna say I love it but it's not minded either.
Today we need to address the.backfield with some CB.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
screenshot_322.png

Kansas City seems to be a bunch of badasses. Recover more fumbles than they force.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
We're going to win 10 regular season games this year with the average score 6-3. That's all it takes baby!

Really? Just ask TB how that worked out for them in 99....this team is 7 points shy of a bakers dozen week after week. As was pointed out the other day, the average playoff team averages something like 380+ points points a season. A stifling defense is fine, but at playoff time, it's usually "balance" and a sudden scoring ability that makes the difference.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Really? Just ask TB how that worked out for them in 99....this team is 7 points shy of a bakers dozen week after week. As was pointed out the other day, the average playoff team averages something like 380+ points points a season. A stifling defense is fine, but at playoff time, it's usually "balance" and a sudden scoring ability that makes the difference.

I was kidding. The numbers show that 35 points equals a W. That's not going to happen much for us this year UNLESS our running game is consistent and Bradford plays really well off the play action, which I damn well hope it does happen..

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
LOL the QB would be crushed if we are playing against Arizona and Carson Palmer. The DL advantage is negated when going against guys like Wilson and Kaep imo. And that's the point right? To beat the Seahawks and Niners?
Craperdick and Wilson get their share of being crushed also! They have been and will continue to do so!

WelfareRam

UDFA
Name
Doug
I think the donald pick was more about Line depth, than anything. Who knows, they may make him a backer with his 285 frame. Or even another D-End. It's a give me the Rams will have line injuries as they do very year so I lik the pick, that is if he makes the roster.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Not sure why we are worried about Donald at #13 and the lack of an offensive selection when we selected Robinson at #2. Getting Robinson causes an immediate upgrade to the QB, RB, WRs and TEs all in one pick. Add in more time clock to the offense because our front 7 force 3 and outs = More scoring!

BeerOClock

Rookie
So let's forget about offense for a second then. Why use a high pick on a guy at a position of ABSOLUTE strength when you have immediate needs that can be filled??? Deone Bucannon, Darquez Dennard, Jason Verrett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix were all there and we could have traded back and got one...

I just don't really like it over other positions. Even if Donald is some Gerald McCoy type penetrator.

Yet billions of Rams fans had no problem supporting the Rams picking Clowney, which was at a much higher pick and at a position of much higher strength.

Donald is as disruptive as Clowney, playing a position where the Rams needed more of this. He was the best defensive player in the NCAA last year and a terrific value at #13.

To specifically answer your question:
Deone Bucannon--very poor value at #13
Darquez Dennard--poor value at #13
Jason Verrett--poor value at #13, though I really like the way he plays. Small, though he plays much bigger.
Ha Ha Clinton Dix--poor value at #13, too slow for a safety to be a #13 pick.
The only available DB worth a #13 pick was Kyle Fuller and he comes with injury concerns.

Had a value pick at DB been available, the Rams would have picked him over Donald. There wasn't and they didn't.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
You should not draft that early for need. BPA or your asking for trouble.
I have the idea that they couldn't get a trade down at that time. At least, not one that was acceptable! Talent was too good to give up for less than worth!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Donald was not an upgrade for Langford...... Donald was an upgrade over Cudjo....or ...Conrath. The better your depth, the stronger everyone can be. But I do see him in the middle between Long, Quinn, and Hayes.........
"Gentlemen....... start your engines.....!"

jjab360

Legend
Gotta say, didn't realize this many people believed in need based drafting. How'd that work out for past regimes, exactly?

BeerOClock

Rookie
My only wish is that Donald somehow came from the RG3 trade.

I can see Donald and Ogletree smacking RG3 for a 10 yard loss, both lying on top of him saying: "Les Snead gives you his regards."

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
My understanding is that Donald is best suited in a 4-3 not a 3-4 and his pass rush makes him a huge upgrade over Langford. There seems to be two distinctively different views of who and what Aaron Donald is.

jjab360

Legend
My understanding is that Donald is best suited in a 4-3 not a 3-4 and his pass rush makes him a huge upgrade over Langford. There seems to be two distinctively different views of who and what Aaron Donald is.
Donald is the prototypical shoot the gap 3 tech in a 4-3, just a few inches shorter

Would probably dominate in a 3-4, too, athleticism like that is universal just like Clowney

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I have problems getting over stinkers when they were obvious stinkers when they were picked. Hated the Pead and Quick picks when they were made.
So did I. Quick was always a reach. Stank of desperation at the time. And I looked at the Pead pick and thought - what?? I mean I liked what the guy did in college but still - when S. Jax was still doing well for us. Anyway - looks like the guy's have learned from those mistakes.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think the donald pick was more about Line depth, than anything. Who knows, they may make him a backer with his 285 frame. Or even another D-End. It's a give me the Rams will have line injuries as they do very year so I lik the pick, that is if he makes the roster.

I think it was more about putting 3 D linemen in the opponents back yard and runs for a loss.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yeah it really is. I mean people are complaining about picks but the reality is Snisher have done a fantastic job building this monster. So much talent, so much youth and we just keep adding more. Good time to be a Rams fan.
I still think we should get Craig Dahl and Justin King back onto the roster ;)