Things I miss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I miss my parents.
I miss the feeling that I could leave the keys in the car or the house unlocked and noone would mess with them.
I miss people treating people like they would want to be treated.
i miss the amazement I had as a kid when I would sit in a movie theatre right when the movie came on.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Complete 9 inning games by pitchers. Complete game shutouts. Pitchers batting/bunting. Stirrups, stolen bases. Batting averages less than .240 resulting in benching, being sent to minors.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miss Ten Commandments on Easter.
Miss long summer days hearing impact sprinkler heads.
Miss great music without auto tune.
Miss the excitement of Christmas morning.
Miss playing family football in Thanksgiving.
Miss having two good knees.
Miss my son cuddling up to watch a movie or a tv show.
Miss when MTV had great Music Videos on all day.
I miss my MOM.
There is more just tired of typing.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was going to post this in the "close calls" thread of a few years ago but it brought back so many childhood memories I decided to post it here and leave the close call to the end of the post.
We moved to Norcal from Glendale ( I went to R.D. White Elementary for a year and a half) on New Years Eve 1960 and arrived New Years Day 1961 (no Hwy. 5 then) we either did 99 or 101. My parents were schoolteachers and we visited their folks in Socal on all the school vacations we got.
My grandmother (moms side) was "well to do" and built a home on 9th Ave. in South Laguna in the early 60's. So this was the first beach I spent a lot of time at. I remember every once and while we go in to Laguna Beach proper and visit the main beach (passing an Alpa Beta super market on the way). For a treat we would go to the Jolly Roger Restaurant and I would get a burger with a plastic sword holding it together, sword fight with little brother! Then most years we go to the Arts Festival on the Laguna Canyon Highway.
Which reminds me of all the orange groves on the freeway before getting to the Laguna Canyon Exit.
IMG_4552.PNG

I was a tiny place and in about '65 she moved out of L.A. all together and bought a place on Bluff Drive here.
IMG_4551.PNG

It was here that I spent my summers body surfing between the two rock formations and learned to swim in the ocean. Once I got got in a rip past the breakers and was dog paddling, biding my time, when the life guard decided to come get me. I was embarrassed, being 14 or 15 at the time, but he insisted I grab his buoy thingy and I relented and he towed me in (not the close call). In the early seventies some body jumped my grandmothers fence, her garage was right on the Coast Highway, looking for something to steal and she no longer felt secure. (I don't even want to think about what she got for it then and what its worth now). So she moved down the road to a gated community.
IMG_4550.PNG

It was here in 1972 that she made me park backwards in her driveway because I had a McGovern bumper sticker (I'd just turned 18 and could vote) and she didn't want her neighbors to know she had a stupid grandson. It was also here that I had my close call body surfing. It had to be off season because there were no life guards on duty. It was normal 3 to 4 foot breakers when all of a sudden I noticed a rogue 3 wave set of 18 to 20 footers. These were at least 3 times my height and having body surfed most of my life I don't believe I'm exaggerating at all. So I had a decision to make, try to swim out past all of them or take the 1st one in and hope to avoid the other two. I took the 1st one in and got slammed into the sand. Waves that big suck all the water out from the beach to keep their size and after a 18 to 20 slam dunk I had maybe 2 feet of water, tops, to cushion my fall. I was lucky to land on my shoulder and not my neck. Guess what happened next. I tried to get out of range but all that water was being sucked out for the next wave and I couldn't make any headway and got slammed again, without the 20 foot drop this time. Rinse, Repeat for wave number 3.
So long story short, I miss summers at the Beach.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any body remember this statue on Sunset Boulevard? Passed it a lot on the way to Grandmas house. Myra Breckinridge.
IMG_4553.jpeg

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
A real Seahawks beat-down.....
Seattle beat down!
1686859595635.png

In 1979, the Rams beat Seattle 24-0 – a trouncing by every measure. A deeper dive into the box score shows just how one-sided this game was. The Rams outgained the Seahawks 475 to minus-7, allowing minus-30 net passing yards.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@norcalramfan I grew up in so cal and bodyboarded at the Pier or T Street in San Clemente. Three of us went out for big swells on a Saturday.

It was riptide on top of that so the water was being sucked into the waves same as your description. One of my buddies was 6'7" and dropped in on a 7 foot face. He was too far forward on the board. He slammed down into the shallow water and came back to shore dizzy.

We went to urgent care and turned out he was concussed with whiplash. Could have been much worse, lucky he was young at the time.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@norcalramfan I grew up in so cal and bodyboarded at the Pier or T Street in San Clemente. Three of us went out for big swells on a Saturday.

It was riptide on top of that so the water was being sucked into the waves same as your description. One of my buddies was 6'7" and dropped in on a 7 foot face. He was too far forward on the board. He slammed down into the shallow water and came back to shore dizzy.

We went to urgent care and turned out he was concussed with whiplash. Could have been much worse, lucky he was young at the time.
I didn’t get as far south as San Clemente much, but I did see a lot of board surfing at Dana Point between the breakwater and the pier.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I didn’t get as far south as San Clemente much, but I did see a lot of board surfing at Dana Point between the breakwater and the pier.
I heard Dana Point was a prime spot before they installed the jetty. Guessing they put it in the late 70s or early 80s as I never got a chance to surf there, but always heard stories from folks a decade older.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard Dana Point was a prime spot before they installed the jetty. Guessing they put it in the late 70s or early 80s as I never got a chance to surf there, but always heard stories from folks a decade older.
Yeah, I just pulled up a picture on my iPhone maps and it doesn’t look like it did 50 years ago. ( go figure ). There was a jetty made of rock and maybe 30 yards away a pier with I don’t know maybe a snack or bait shack on it. Any way guys would surf in between an even under to the other side dodging the poles supporting the pier. I thought there’s not a lot of room for error, these guys know what they’re doing.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Norcalramfan I used to live in Laguna Hills right above what was then Lion Country Safari and fish the Aliso Beach pier. There was a bigass rock by the pier next to the highway. I watched them build a home inside the rock that was on the north side of the bridge that went over the creek.

My GF, step-sister and I used to sell our art at the Saw Dust Festival in the canyon. We always stopped at the Denny's Jr. on PCH for breakfast before going to Saw Dust. I loved that stretch of PCH and for years afterwards simply drove it for fun. I remember seeing a 15 foot great white shark cruise the beach by the pier just 20 feet off the shore.

Born in E LA, raised in Pacoima / San Fernando, then worked my way south starting in Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Newport Beach (back bay), Laguna Hills, finally ending up in Carlsbad. I miss the old California I grewup in not what it has become. It's why I moved to Popotla, MX to get some of that laid-back vibe back. Before I got the job at S&P I worked at McGaw Labs as a regional account manager right by OC Airport so I spent years in south OC.

I miss my dad waking me up as a kid at O'dark thirty to go fishing. Just him and me and we would drive down to Redondo pier from Pacoima stopping for breakfast at the Norm Restaurant on Hawthorne in Torrance. I used to catch mackerel for the Korean woman across the street who would pickle them and eat them with kimchee and rice. LOL If you ever had pickled herring that's what it tasted like.

I was blessed to be born and grow up and live my life in LA and So California before it changed starting in the early 80s.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Norcalramfan I used to live in Laguna Hills right above what was then Lion Country Safari and fish the Aliso Beach pier. There was a bigass rock by the pier next to the highway. I watched them build a home inside the rock that was on the north side of the bridge that went over the creek.

My GF, step-sister and I used to sell our art at the Saw Dust Festival in the canyon. We always stopped at the Denny's Jr. on PCH for breakfast before going to Saw Dust. I loved that stretch of PCH and for years afterwards simply drove it for fun. I remember seeing a 15 foot great white shark cruise the beach by the pier just 20 feet off the shore.

Born in E LA, raised in Pacoima / San Fernando, then worked my way south starting in Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Newport Beach (back bay), Laguna Hills, finally ending up in Carlsbad. I miss the old California I grewup in not what it has become. It's why I moved to Popotla, MX to get some of that laid-back vibe back. Before I got the job at S&P I worked at McGaw Labs as a regional account manager right by OC Airport so I spent years in south OC.

I miss my dad waking me up as a kid at O'dark thirty to go fishing. Just him and me and we would drive down to Redondo pier from Pacoima stopping for breakfast at the Norm Restaurant on Hawthorne in Torrance. I used to catch mackerel for the Korean woman across the street who would pickle them and eat them with kimchee and rice. LOL If you ever had pickled herring that's what it tasted like.

I was blessed to be born and grow up and live my life in LA and So California before it changed starting in the early 80s.
I remember Lion Country Safari. When my grandmother left the gated community and moved up the hill to Laguna Niguel, I quit taking the Laguna Canyon exit and motored on down to the Crown Valley exit. There was a Bob's Big Boy restaurant right off the freeway that we would go to when I came to visit. One of my earliest memories in Glendale before moving north was going to Bob's Big Boy with her and my mom and ordering a Big Boy Burger. I've been remiss for not mentioning how much I miss my Grandmother in this thread. My mom worked as a schoolteacher all her adult life straight out of college and it was with her mom that I spent my days until I was old enough to go to school myself.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL Laguna Niguel is where I bought my first home. My step sister still lives in Lake Forest

Tano

Legend
I remember driving the 5 freeway to San Diego and passing orange groves left and right. They are all gone now.