They keep on coming, two more options ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Demetrius Rhaney, Travis Bond, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, and Steven Baker already on the roster, 4 -5 more OLinemen will actually get them up to 12 - 13 OLinemen in camp.

And sure, the talent level at most positions diminishes rapidly after round two in most drafts. But, solid non-LT (especially interior) Olinemen can typically be had later than most other positions. And I expect that to be the case this year especially since, this draft class (while weak with blue chippers), it's actually somewhat deep potentially solid Olinemen (Especially interior Olineman).

I have no interest in the team signing injury riddled veteran free agents to a long term contracts at ridiculous cap costs either. But, rather than exaggerate as if that's all that's currently available, I see that there are still some solid vet free agents available that shouldn't break the bank. And I don't let guys like Long, Joseph, and/or Wells (whose injuries didn't really start until he joined the team) make me forget success stories like Harvey Dahl, Todd Steussie, Andy McCollum, & Dave Wohlabaugh.

And again, one can't guarantee that the Olineman the team MIGHT be able to trade down and obtain is going to pan out any more than whom the team might select if they stand pat at #10. And I say might, as a reminder that it takes two to tango (make a deal) and oftentimes teams want to trade down but can't find any takers willing to provide them the compensation they require.

Does the Oline need serious attention?

Of course.

Will the other offensive players perform better with a better Oline?

Sure.

Do the Rams need an Oline of blue chippers to have success on offense?

No. All teams really need are 5 solid to above average starters on the same page and a 2-3 service backups. Gazooks, the so-called best Oline in the NFL in Dallas only has 3 of these so-called blue chippers. LG Ronald Leary & RT Doug Free are average AT BEST and most here would be searching for their replacements if they were Rams.

Will all be lost if Rams don't select an OLineman in round one?

I doubt it as he'd still be just one player and a rookie at that. Plus, I suspect that the team will sign 2-3 free agents and add a couple more Olinemen in the draft to the 7 guys already on the roster.

Of course, ... I should have known all along we would be fine going into the season with your Magnificent 7. Perhaps we truly are good to go.
Then again, our team wouldn't suffer much more with 12 or 13 Offensive Linemen in camp, maybe even 23 if we're talking mostly scrubs like your 7.
You are obviously more comfortable than I with waiting around until round 2 and later to start re-stocking our diminished capacity, but since you didn't really leave me with a number for potential new acquisitions, c'mon, who exactly are these 2'nd, 3'rd & 4'th round OL that you are satisfied with taking over for Wells, JLong & the illustrious Davin Joseph. I mean, with talent like that taking us so far, why should we even consider a 1'st round talent ? Certainly a top ten WR will more than make up for any deficiencies on the OL, ... kinda like Tavon Austin did for us. And we know that by waiting until the later rounds, there is absolutely no gamble that a targeted player won't remain for us to just grab up, ... I mean, there are so many of them after all.
22 free agent offensive linemen have already been signed & re-signed, most of whom are ranked in the higher end of this free agency class, but somehow the great Joe Barksdale has managed to maintain his freedom. While Wisniewski has eluded Rams park up to now, I realize many are seeing him as the savior of free agency, maybe he is the answer for our struggling line. Then again, would the secret of our off-season actually be Barrett Jones, the guy who couldn't beat out Wells ? So many possibilities ...
So, we are going to be happy starting the 23'rd signed free agent OL, maybe the 24'th also. We will be equally pleased starting a 2'nd rounder, that might not be too bad, or maybe that 3'rd starter will be a trade, FA, draftee or one of our own. That's some gift for our new QB, hope it works out, ... no doubt the new WR will carry us to the promised land.
Sure seems chancy to me, but what do I know, ... especially when we might have used 2 first rounders, a trade and a FA to better ensure success. I guess our O-Line will remain the poor stepchild in comparison to our D-Line. I wonder if the new 5'th member of our defensive line is more costly as a rotational player than the 3'rd starter on our offensive line ?

While few believe a team with no blue chippers are destined for failure, you can certainly improve your odds significantly by upping the ante. There seems to be two popular theories on how to improve the team, reminds me a bit of the Suh/Bradford debate era.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Ok....and last year Watkins in stead of Robinson? See I dabble a bit in preparation of draft evaluation myself.....and we will have to agree to disagree. I feel that Cooper is behind both Watkins and Evans in draft grade and White is even behind Beckham. Sure there is no Robinson Mathews in this draft but I rate Schreff higher than number 16 pick Martin. And I rate Peat and Flowers ahead of Lewan. Sure they are just my projections .... my opinions. ...and I'm sorry that they differ from yours.

Go Rams........... ;)

You lost me on the Watkins instead of Robinson question. I had liked both Robinson and Evans more than Watkins last year and agreed with the tiny minority that believed that Beckham could be just as good as both of them (Evans & Watkins). And I'm having a similar issue with Cooper, White, and Parker this year.

I have no problems with differing opinions. It's to be expected. But, I'm curious. Do you believe that this year's Schreff, Peat, and Flowers would have been drafted ahead of last year's Martin and Lewan (the way you have them listed) if that magical draft were possible?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Riverumbbq,

My first target would be what seems to be the all forgotten free agency in going after Blalock, Barksdale, & De La Puente. The first two would probably be inserted into the starting lineup immediately while the later would compete with Rhaney and whomever else they'd brought in via the draft trade or free agency.

The team then enters the draft not desperate to find starters like you appear to have them. Banking on rookies to come in and contribute immediately is a recipe for disaster.

I'd have to run now, but I'll give you a list of Olinemen I like that can be had later to compete with the likes of Jones and Bond and the other so called developing scrubs. But, I will say that guys like Nutten, Dahl, Gruttadauria, Barksdale, were in the same boat as those guys at one point in their careers, too.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
You lost me on the Watkins instead of Robinson question. I had liked both Robinson and Evans more than Watkins last year and agreed with the tiny minority that believed that Beckham could be just as good as both of them (Evans & Watkins). And I'm having a similar issue with Cooper, White, and Parker this year.

I have no problems with differing opinions. It's to be expected. But, I'm curious. Do you believe that this year's Schreff, Peat, and Flowers would have been drafted ahead of last year's Martin and Lewan (the way you have them listed) if that magical draft were possible?

Now remember these are just my projects from hours of film study along with what i read on pro day results. I lean on my 25 years of playing/coaching....to help me make my projections...... but ultimately they are just my opinions..... ;) To the point, I do I believe that at least Schreff and one of the tackles (Peat or Flowers) would be taken a head of Lewan and Martin. My overall draft grade is higher on all three..... Martin and Schreff are not just a guard but they both have the ability to be one of the best at they're position by year 2...... exceptional talent at gaurd. That's not to say I don't believe that Cooper and White won't be great...... but going into draft I believe that both Watkins and Evans were both much more of a match up nightmare..... one with quickness and the other with pure hight and leaping .....both with superior hands compared to this year's prospects. ....... but because of whites track speed he is exciting and fast......what is concerning is how he is fast yet every deep reception is contested. I believe Cooper would be slightly behind Watkins and Evans..... but he is a true top 10 talent.... He is fast smooth with good hands.... he can be muscled off his routes..... he doesn't break as sudden as Watkins hands not as strong as Evans and Watkins..... now I remind you these are just my projections......

Go Rams.............. ;)

Last edited:

rams56

Name
Steve
I do want to mention. .... That I have Danny Shelton as a better prospect at defensive Tackle then the wrs or olinemen this year...but I don't think we should draft him....... lol ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

rams56

Name
Steve
Riverumbbq,

My first target would be what seems to be the all forgotten free agency in going after Blalock, Barksdale, & De La Puente. The first two would probably be inserted into the starting lineup immediately while the later would compete with Rhaney and whomever else they'd brought in via the draft trade or free agency.

The team then enters the draft not desperate to find starters like you appear to have them. Banking on rookies to come in and contribute immediately is a recipe for disaster.

I'd have to run now, but I'll give you a list of Olinemen I like that can be had later to compete with the likes of Jones and Bond and the other so called developing scrubs. But, I will say that guys like Nutten, Dahl, Gruttadauria, Barksdale, were in the same boat as those guys at one point in their careers, too.
Although I think that is right most of the time..... I'll give you a couple of exceptions..... the 49ers were a much better unit starting rookies Iupati and Davis and even better the following year. The Bears starting two rookies on the same side Kyle Long and Jordan Mills and vastly improved they're line year 1. So it can be done if the right linemen are selected.

Go Rams........... ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I do want to mention. .... That I have Danny Shelton as a better prospect at defensive Tackle then the wrs or olinemen this year...but I don't think we should draft him....... lol ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

I don't.