These playoffs continue to be real eye openers for me...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Call it a dose of reality. Or a splash of cold water in the face.

But WOW! We is a looooong way from being a top playoff team. I have seen the light. Lol.

Good news is that our D might be of SB quality. IF Quinn, Ogletree, and McDonald come back 100% healthy. And if we can keep Jenkins and TruJo (a big "if"
smilie3.gif

Our ST regressed in '15, but a new kicker and a tweak or two on FG attempt blocking assignments and penalty reduction could return it to top 5 status. Very doable this offseason, IMO.

But here's the bad news. And it's pretty bad news...

These playoffs have convinced me that we are light years behind the top teams at QB. And does anybody think that that's gonna be fully corrected this offseason? Me neither.

We are miles behind at WR and TE, as well. But at least it's not light years. WR and TE can be found in this draft, at least of sufficient quality to make us competitive.

I really think that our OL will be improved.

And I wouldn't trade Gurley for any other RB in the league.

But I keep coming back to the QB position. We will likely be at a tremendous disadvantage at QB all year against other playoff caliber teams. Against the likes of Rodgers, Wilson, Palmer, Newton, etc, that's a big edge to give up on Sundays.

We need another Warner type miracle, I'm afraid.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
November 30, 2015
Cam Newton has awful day and Carolina gets drilled by Minnesota 31-13, their record falls to 3-8-1
At this point in the season, they are in contention for the #1 overall pick in the draft
Yeah the schedule was soft
Yeah the division was terrible
But there they were escaping 1st round in the draft talk, to winning division with 4 straight (5 straight including playoff)
And like Seattle, they go out and win 1st playoff game
So since that point, they've won an incredible 22 games out of 24 including 3-1 in post season

No reason we cant desire/expect a winning team, a playoff contender. We may not get/have a Cam Newton but they sure don't have a Todd Gurley

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You think Peyton is THAT far ahead of our current QBs? He hasn't really done anything that an average QB could have done this year. He played ok yesterday. But I think our defense can be just as good as Denvers.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We don't need another Warner type miracle. There is more than one way to win football games. It can be done without a QB playing at Hall of Fame (or near Hall of Fame) calibre. Right now Carolina is getting absolutely spectacular QB play so people will think that is necessary. But it really isn't.

Seattle and San Fran both saw great success in recent years - widely regarded as the teams to beat - with good but not great QBs.

Denver has been a powerhouse lately - in large part thanks to their defence - and will be appearing in the Super Bowl yet again this year. Manning is a generational talent, to be sure. But in his current form he is nothing special. And the Broncos might yet take it. I think Carolina has to be the favourites at this point but it is odd to see people acting like they have the Super Bowl wrapped up. Rams should know that better than anyone after that awful Super Bowl vs the Pats.

Baltimore and the New York Giants (twice!) won with very good QBs.... but not amazing ones.

Of course you have the Bradys, Rodgers, and Brees wins too. QB play is essential. You can't win without a QB. But we don't need another Warner type situation of catching a possible HOFer by chance. You can win it all with your bread and butter being defence, special teams, and a strong running game as opposed to the passing game. Right now I am just praying we can snag one of Goff, Lynch, or Wentz this draft and that he develops as planned. Any of those QBs should hopefully be enough to win with.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
We don't need another Warner type miracle. There is more than one way to win football games. It can be done without a QB playing at Hall of Fame (or near Hall of Fame) calibre. Right now Carolina is getting absolutely spectacular QB play so people will think that is necessary. But it really isn't.

Seattle and San Fran both saw great success in recent years - widely regarded as the teams to beat - with good but not great QBs.

Denver has been a powerhouse lately - in large part thanks to their defence - and will be appearing in the Super Bowl yet again this year. Manning is a generational talent, to be sure. But in his current form he is nothing special. And the Broncos might yet take it. I think Carolina has to be the favourites at this point but it is odd to see people acting like they have the Super Bowl wrapped up. Rams should know that better than anyone after that awful Super Bowl vs the Pats.

Baltimore and the New York Giants (twice!) won with very good QBs.... but not amazing ones.

Of course you have the Bradys, Rodgers, and Brees wins too. QB play is essential. You can't win without a QB. But we don't need another Warner type situation of catching a possible HOFer by chance. You can win it all with your bread and butter being defence, special teams, and a strong running game as opposed to the passing game. Right now I am just praying we can snag one of Goff, Lynch, or Wentz this draft and that he develops as planned. Any of those QBs should hopefully be enough to win with.

Ok Ontario, I get what you're saying about QB's and all but take a look at the final 4 teams QB's. You have Brady, Cam, Palmer and Manning, all of these QB's are top 10 if you ask me. Quality QB is a definite need.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You think Peyton is THAT far ahead of our current QBs? He hasn't really done anything that an average QB could have done this year. He played ok yesterday. But I think our defense can be just as good as Denvers.
Yeah but...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Cleveland Browns are light years from a Super Bowl. The Rams are a legit QB and a few pieces here and there away from taking a step like that.
What i have taken away from the teams that are contending and winning the big games is that defense still wins championships if you've got a good QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ok Ontario, I get what you're saying about QB's and all but take a look at the final 4 teams QB's. You have Brady, Cam, Palmer and Manning, all of these QB's are top 10 if you ask me. Quality QB is a definite need.
Quality - yes. But having to have one of those guys does not translate to Superbowls. Defense ruled the day against Brady and Palmer. Meanwhile, the other two had plenty of time on most plays. Give constant pressure to any of those guys and we have seen what happens.

Manning has an incredible processor up top so even though his skills are diminished, he gets those ducks to fly to the right place at the right time for the most part. Cam has great physical tools but lets face it - he is anything but an overnight success. Palmer is the prototype and still hasn't sniffed a SB. Brady was a 6th round supplemental pick - sometimes you just get lucky.

Seattle got there in spite of below average play out of Wilson. Baltimore won a SB with Trent freaking Dilfer. Warner couldn't crack an opening line-up. Rex Grossman - nuff said. Jake Delhomme - ahem... Brad Johnson.....

BTW - did anyone catch Marshall Faulk's comments on Brady before the game? Essentially called him a career game manager.:fighting:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have high hopes that we can snag our future quality starting QB in this draft as well, Champ.

But even if we're that fortunate to have one fall, I still have 2 important questions...

1) What evidence is there that Fisher's staff has the first clue about developing an O skill player, much less a QB?

2) Do you really expect any drafted QB to make significant contributions in his 1st year? Remember, it took Newton 3 years to do it and he had excellent coaching to speed his development from the get go.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I disagree that we are a long way form competing.

Defense wins championship always has and always will. Carolina's offense isn't that much different than the Rams, substitute Gurley for Newton running the ball and resign our defensive stars and they are very close.
Newton doesn't throw the ball all that well and their WRs are worse than the Rams.

Selling out the future to draft one Goff is a bad idea, Fisher at this point doesn't have a contract passed next season I don't see him putting his future in the hands of a rookie with potential who has never played a down in the NFL. They may draft one to compete for the job but everyone saw how much time Mannion got this year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I disagree that we are a long way form competing.

Defense wins championship always has and always will. Carolina's offense isn't that much different than the Rams, substitute Gurley for Newton running the ball and resign our defensive stars and they are very close.
Newton doesn't throw the ball all that well and their WRs are worse than the Rams.

Selling out the future to draft one Goff is a bad idea, Fisher at this point doesn't have a contract passed next season I don't see him putting his future in the hands of a rookie with potential who has never played a down in the NFL. They may draft one to compete for the job but everyone saw how much time Mannion got this year.

Your post confuses me, blackbart.

First, I never said that we're a long way from competing. As in maybe a 9-7 regular season is "competing".

I said that we are currently light years behind at least 7 of the 8 QB's finishing in the playoffs. BIG difference.

And to say that Carolina's O isn't that much different than the Rams (your words) just blows my mind. Actually, they are night and day apart from us in their respective results. Our O was last in the league, while Carolina's seems unstoppable.

And to say that "Newton doesn't throw the ball all that well and their WR's are worse than the Rams"? I'm speechless.

Finally, I never suggested selling out our future to draft Goff. Ever... You might have me confused with jrry32 on that point.

It's almost like we're watching two different teams and/or speaking two different languages.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have high hopes that we can snag our future quality starting QB in this draft as well, Champ.

But even if we're that fortunate to have one fall, I still have 2 important questions...

1) What evidence is there that Fisher's staff has the first clue about developing an O skill player, much less a QB?

2) Do you really expect any drafted QB to make significant contributions in his 1st year? Remember, it took Newton 3 years to do it and he had excellent coaching to speed his development from the get go.

43 clearly you are done with Fisher and it's not a surprise since it's common enough among Rams fans nowadays particularly on other boards where the dude can do nothing right. So not sure you're going to be convinced by anyone here with your question and I'm not going to make that attempt. But it doesn't really matter, does it?

If Fisher wins next year and gets this team into the playoffs thus saving his job it will be on the backs of a great defense and outstanding run game with a game manager type QB. He's not going to develop the next Payton Manning in one year but he doesn't have to in order to win. He is who he is. Not all of us are done with him brother. I'm not. So long as he is my coach I'm going to root for the guy and hope he succeeds, if I'm a fool so be it but I expect a winning team on the backs of defense and the run game.

And no, a drafted QB isn't going to make significant contributions his first year. But that does not mean the Rams cannot get enough production out of the position to run this offense well enough to win. Let's say they take Lynch, who is a big QB with everything you want except for the pro system experience. He sits, up until he can push whoever the starter is. Until that time he'd do a great Kaepernick impersonation on the scout team, and more importantly we as fans could look ahead with more hope to the day when he takes the position. Rams need a QB with a high ceiling and there are 3 of them in this draft. Maybe 4 if you like Cook that much.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Your post confuses me, blackbart.

First, I never said that we're a long way from competing. As in maybe a 9-7 regular season is "competing".

I said that we are currently light years behind at least 7 of the 8 QB's finishing in the playoffs. BIG difference.

And to say that Carolina's O isn't that much different than the Rams (your words) just blows my mind. Actually, they are night and day apart from us in their respective results. Our O was last in the league, while Carolina's seems unstoppable.

And to say that "Newton doesn't throw the ball all that well and their WR's are worse than the Rams"? I'm speechless.

Finally, I never suggested selling out our future to draft Goff. Ever... You might have me confused with jrry32 on that point.

It's almost like we're watching two different teams and/or speaking two different languages.
QB is only one player on a team and it takes all of them to win. Cams legs are by far his best asset. He throws ok not great. Olsen is the best target and yes the rest of their receivers are worse than Britt and Austin.

And FWIW it wasn't all directed at you just more of my ramblings

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'd be shocked if the Rams don't offer to bring GZ back

SMH, I really don't understand, let's see who's right opening day

Be my last comment on this subject

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Draft or FA we need a better Qb than we currently have.He doesn't have to be a superstar he just needs to be above average with our D.So whomever they bring in, Fisher has to give him and the OC some slack.This year he truly will be fighting for his job so right this minute I don't feel confident he will.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
43 clearly you are done with Fisher and it's not a surprise since it's common enough among Rams fans nowadays particularly on other boards where the dude can do nothing right. So not sure you're going to be convinced by anyone here with your question and I'm not going to make that attempt. But it doesn't really matter, does it?

If Fisher wins next year and gets this team into the playoffs thus saving his job it will be on the backs of a great defense and outstanding run game with a game manager type QB. He's not going to develop the next Payton Manning in one year but he doesn't have to in order to win. He is who he is. Not all of us are done with him brother. I'm not. So long as he is my coach I'm going to root for the guy and hope he succeeds, if I'm a fool so be it but I expect a winning team on the backs of defense and the run game.

And no, a drafted QB isn't going to make significant contributions his first year. But that does not mean the Rams cannot get enough production out of the position to run this offense well enough to win. Let's say they take Lynch, who is a big QB with everything you want except for the pro system experience. He sits, up until he can push whoever the starter is. Until that time he'd do a great Kaepernick impersonation on the scout team, and more importantly we as fans could look ahead with more hope to the day when he takes the position. Rams need a QB with a high ceiling and there are 3 of them in this draft. Maybe 4 if you like Cook that much.

You bring up an excellent point, Merlin.

Yeah, I'm conflicted regarding Fisher. BIG time.

On the one hand I think he's a limited HC that appears unlikely to get us much beyond the 8-8 level.

On the other hand, as a passionate Ram fan I will pull for him each and every week to get that win.

Kinda like my feelings for Jared Cook, actually.