The X-Factor: Isaiah Pead to start? Tyson vs Ali.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got back from the future, and all debates are now official over.

4RmDvuS.jpg

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
A lot of people on the Pead bandwagon. Hope he proves me wrong. To me if winning the division is our goal then at minimum we need to split the series with Seattle. With it being so tough to win up there with their fake crowd noise, we absolutely need to win this first game. In order to do that we need Cunningham and Pead to come up big for us. Pead needs to avoid the mental mistakes that have plagued him so far.

I don't know that fake noise can register on the Richter scale, but it's obviously a very, very tough place to play...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That may be true. You might have a point.
But that's secondary to each other's punching power.
Ali was great at picking his shots, and he had some power, but Tyson bullied people and threw devastating shots.

It really would be great to see those two fight in some sort of parallel universe.
Well, Tyson was devastating with his punches..but again, who was he fighting? Ali was fighting the best of the best: Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, Ernie Shavers, Jimmy Young, George Foreman, and others...I brought up Jimmy Young and Ernie Shavers, because many (including myself) thought Ali lost to both of those guys..But they didn't knock out the Champ, so it is what it is.... Ali was most devastating by using his intelligence...Ali would have nailed Tyson with superior jabs, and would have worn Tyson down for 10-15 rounds..like he was prone to doing with other heavy hitters. I actually didn't like Ali back then..I thought he was a draft dodging loud mouth...But I give the guy his due...he was the greatest I ever saw.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
c'mon bro...I don't buy that for a minute...He WOULDN'T have knocked out Ali or Frazier> Hell, he wouldn't have knocked out Jimmy Young or Ernie Shavers! Foreman was young dumb and full of..well, you know..So he might have been stupid with Tyson. But still, Tyson was a good fighter when the Heavyweight Division was turning to crap. I agree that he probably beats Norton and Holmes, but then maybe not.
Come on - think about the heavy weight division over the years. There have been very few times when it wasn't a shambles. Ali fought some outright jokes for fighters. Frazer was a hard punching, slow footed Neanderthal. Ali might have been able to peck at Tyson as he came in and keep him off balance. But that he let Frazer catch him so many times tells me that Tyson would have walked him down and made him hear bluebirds chirping. I used to club fight a bit and was really into boxing. The heavyweight division was always what got the headlines but the fighters really were some of the worst in boxing. And that definitely include the days of Ali.

Go back and watch Foreman fight. The guy was big and had about the slowest punch I've seen to this day. He just had such a thick skull and was so tall that he could launch one of those curling stones he called fists and if you hit him twice on its way in, that was ok for him. Until of course he suddenly looked like someone roofied him.

I couldn't stand Tyson once King got hold of him. But before that, I had never seen anyone with that combination of ability and aggressiveness.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on - think about the heavy weight division over the years. There have been very few times when it wasn't a shambles. Ali fought some outright jokes for fighters. Frazer was a hard punching, slow footed Neanderthal. Ali might have been able to peck at Tyson as he came in and keep him off balance. But that he let Frazer catch him so many times tells me that Tyson would have walked him down and made him hear bluebirds chirping. I used to club fight a bit and was really into boxing. The heavyweight division was always what got the headlines but the fighters really were some of the worst in boxing. And that definitely include the days of Ali.

Go back and watch Foreman fight. The guy was big and had about the slowest punch I've seen to this day. He just had such a thick skull and was so tall that he could launch one of those curling stones he called fists and if you hit him twice on its way in, that was ok for him. Until of course he suddenly looked like someone roofied him.

I couldn't stand Tyson once King got hold of him. But before that, I had never seen anyone with that combination of ability and aggressiveness.
We are going to disagree..Tyson fought warmed over losers. He was a tiger amoung sheep, no doubt...Forman was slow...lol..yeah..even when he was 40ish, he was kicking heavyweight division Azz in the 90's. As for the FASTEST punch..who was faster Ali or Tyson? You know its Ali....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, Tyson was devastating with his punches..but again, who was he fighting? Ali was fighting the best of the best: Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, Ernie Shavers, Jimmy Young, George Foreman, and others...I brought up Jimmy Young and Ernie Shavers, because many (including myself) thought Ali lost to both of those guys..But they didn't knock out the Champ, so it is what it is.... Ali was most devastating by using his intelligence...Ali would have nailed Tyson with superior jabs, and would have worn Tyson down for 10-15 rounds..like he was prone to doing with other heavy hitters. I actually didn't like Ali back then..I thought he was a draft dodging loud mouth...But I give the guy his due...he was the greatest I ever saw.
Oh I saw Ali too. Granted, I was kinda young, but I remember his style very well.
To me, it comes down to punching power and speed. And I don't think anyone has the chin to take a Tyson hook and stay upright.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
UI'm talking Ali in his prime vs Tyson in his.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Explain anyway. I already like it.
OK, sure. I was a RB, and WR on offense, so when I say that. I'm looking at the yards that he can get. For instance, sometimes, a LB blows through the hole and meets you at the hand off, or the designed play, where you are supposed to go, is walled off, or plugged.

Sometimes, you just have to take the yards that are available, by lowering your pad level, and pushing forward. Sometimes, there is a hole, but it's not where it's supposed to be. It's 2 or 3 gaps farther. Some guys can see this...called vision, and some guys can't.

There are also times, like I saw in the video, where there were possible more yards, but the first down line is in sight. When that happens, you abandon the sight, and lower your pad level. Get the first down...extend the drive. Exception, on 1st or 2nd down, you may explore those, as long as you are still getting positive yards.

A lot of people call seeing the hole, to be an innate ability. I am one of those people. It frustrates me, when i see the whole backside sealed, but the RB just tries to go where the hole is supposed to be. I'll give you an example of the RB who I think is the best at this.... vision, and getting the most out of the play... Arian Foster. The dude wasn't even drafted, because he's not huge, or not super fast. He has great vision. Faulk, had great vision.

Point is, every play is different, and constantly changing in motion, but as a RB, even if it is a 2 yard loss, you take those yards. You don't reverse field, and lose 10. In the majority of those plays, Pead got the most of what the play yielded. You can't ask more. Gurley will give us more. He is a rare player. Size, speed, power, and vision.

Sometimes, when I watch a game, I see a big hole, or seal happening, and the RB just runs up into a clog of players. In that clip, on most of the plays, Pead got the most out of what each play yielded. I didn't see him missing holes, or leaving yards on the field.

Just like a QB, rhythm will help a RB get a feeling for what the defense is trying to do, and what his own OL has a tendency to do. Communication is a key also.

Same applies to a QB, if you can easily rush for a 1st down on a 3rd down, do it. Or if a guy is wide open, even if on a check down, make that throw, instead of a low percentage throw, into a tight window. Don't leave yards on the field.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I saw Ali too. Granted, I was kinda young, but I remember his style very well.
To me, it comes down to punching power and speed. And I don't think anyone has the chin to take a Tyson hook and stay upright.
I haven't looked it up in a while..but last time I looked, Ali and Floyd Patterson had the fastest jabs in the history the of Heavyweight Division....Ali was a master at so many things, including defense. Tyson relied on the quick knock out, and he was devestating at it...but then again, the best atheletes used boxing as their way out of bad circumstances from the early 1900's to the 1970's. Kids dreamed of being a boxing champ...But not so much in the 80's, 90's until today..the best didn't choose boxing.....This is why (IMHO) Tyson's performance seemed so devastating against lesser competition...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that Shavers won that fight. An argument could be made that Young won as well. And Leon Spinks? Really? Ali was a great pure boxer when he came to fight. I just don't think he could have fended off a Cus managed Tyson.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that Shavers won that fight. An argument could be made that Young won as well. And Leon Spinks? Really? Ali was a great pure boxer when he came to fight. I just don't think he could have fended off a Cus managed Tyson.
I din't bring up Spinks because Ali was old...He had balance and the best jab I ever saw..Tyson never experienced a jab like that. Ali wasn't a power puncher, yet he had power to knock a guy out. Tyson had a compact, tight punch that just knocked people the eff out. To me, Ali had more skills that should have given him the advantage...Too bad we'll never know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I din't bring up Spinks because Ali was old...He had balance and the best jab I ever saw..Tyson never experienced a jab like that. Ali wasn't a power puncher, yet he had power to knock a guy out. Tyson had a compact, tight punch that just knocked people the eff out. To me, Ali had more skills that should have given him the advantage...Too bad we'll never know.
Yep. Fun to talk boxing though with someone who was actually around and watched it back in the day.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Oh, we know. What you never played Mike Tyson's Punch-out?? SMH.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Remember Spinks brother?
You mean shortest title fight in history Michael?

Funny - a bunch of us rented a hotel room and bought pay per view. The pre-fights were all scrambled for some reason then while we were on the phone with the cable company, the main event came on. Barely had time to freshen my drink.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That man was scared, and ran all the way to the bank. As far as the jab. In shape, Mike, he got inside that, and just flurried on your ass, imposing his will, never waited to eat a jab.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I haven't looked it up in a while..but last time I looked, Ali and Floyd Patterson had the fastest jabs in the history the of Heavyweight Division....Ali was a master at so many things, including defense. Tyson relied on the quick knock out, and he was devestating at it...but then again, the best atheletes used boxing as their way out of bad circumstances from the early 1900's to the 1970's. Kids dreamed of being a boxing champ...But not so much in the 80's, 90's until today..the best didn't choose boxing.....This is why (IMHO) Tyson's performance seemed so devastating against lesser competition...
Man, I wish I had you on the RODcast with me. Woulda been a good conversation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Funny - a bunch of us rented a hotel room and bought pay per view. The pre-fights were all scrambled for some reason then while we were on the phone with the cable company, the main event came on. Barely had time to freshen my drink.
I paid so much money for that fight. Between the hotel, the food, and the keg. We rented a room at a Holiday Inn, I think, and there were about 20 people in there. We were all getting geared up for it. Drinking, havin some pizza, getting all excited for it.

And then click, click, BOOM.

Party over.