The St. Louis Rams: Better or Worse?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The St. Louis Rams: Better or Worse?
by David Barber

<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/07/06/the-st-louis-rams-better-or-worse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/07/06/the-st ... -or-worse/</a>

No longer am I locked in my room, eating instant pre-packaged food, sipping countless amounts of coffee in order to prepare for my finals. Finally the brain can solely focus on whats most important… Football. This time of year on the football calendar is definitely the most quiet, as teams prepare themselves for the much anticipated and dreaded training camp.

At this quiet time on the NFL calendar, the only football news out is of each teams “star” rookies and their so to be said amazing potential that have been displayed at rookie mini camps and OTA’s. The game however, isn’t played in shorts. For some reason this type of hype gets to the fans’ head, resulting in completely over rating most rookies. This article is going to bring the Ram Nation back to the surface, by analyzing every position (other than Kicker and Punter), and stating whether the positions were better or worse than last year going into the 2013 season.

OFFENSE

Quarterback - Okay, no players have changed in this position. The one thing that has changed is that Sam Bradford can finally go into a new season with the same playbook as the previous year, something that has never happened to Bradford as a Ram. This will allow Bradford to work on his weaknesses from the previous year and be able to conduct the offense with more authority. With Bradford’s second year with wide receiver Chris Givens, expect the two to build on their chemistry and do wonders for the offense.
Overall – Better

Wide Receiver - Chris Givens was somewhat a one trick pony early on the 2012 season, but as 2012 drew to an end, Chris Givens was looking more like a complete receiver. Austin Pettis has been receiving praises from Brian Schottenheimer stating that he was the “MVP” of the OTA’s. Again, the game isn’t played in shorts, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to hear that he’s playing good ball. Losing Danny Amendola to the New England Patriots was obviously a little bit of a downer for the offensive side, as he was Bradfords safety blanket. With the addition of Tavon Austin, (arguably the most explosive player to come out of the 2013 NFL draft) you can’t help but get excited with what he will bring to the offense. Not only will he make the wide receiving core better, he will also help fix the 26th ranked special teams.
Overall – Better

Running Back – No one can stand here and make a valuable point that the running back position is stronger going into this season than the last. The Rams have lost a 13,000 all purpose yard and a 64 touchdown running back in Steven Jackson. It’s safe to say there’s no replacing that this year. Despite the loss of the Rams all time rushing leader (no big deal), the Rams do have an interesting young group of running backs. Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead and Zac Stacy are all hungry for that starting job. There’s no doubt the Rams will squeeze out every little bit of talent that these running backs have to offer.
Overall – Worse

Full Back - It’s hard to know what exactly what the Rams are doing at the full back position as of yet, because there isn’t a player penciled in the roster as a fullback. Tight end Lance Kendricks did see a fair few snaps at the full back position last year, maybe his reps at full back will increase considering the Rams now have an established receiving tight end in Jared Cook.
Overall – Balanced

Tight Ends - The addition of Jared Cook, will allow Rams to have one of the most potent tight end duo’s in the NFL. Lance Kendricks had some what of a little break out year, as he was able to collect 519 yards receiving for four touchdowns. While Cook had a very up and down year with only starting five of the 13 games, he was still able to gather 523 yards for four touchdowns. It’s easy to say that the Titans didn’t use Cook to their full advantage. Now with Cook re-united with Jeff Fisher, the coach who drafted him five years ago, expect Cook to rejuvenate his young career.
Overall – Better

Offensive Line - On paper, the Rams have one of the best offensive lines in the league. Again, only on paper. The biggest knock on the Rams offensive line isn’t their blocking skills, rather it’s whether or not they can maintain the same big guys blocking from round one till round 17, or heck, even playoffs. Jake Long protecting the blindside is a comforting thought, though again, no point in having him on the roster if he only plays 10 games a season. Jake Long’s investment is very much a boom or bust type of deal. Roger Saffold is usually over looked when it comes to discussing quality tackles. Moving over to the right side to make room for Long really shows where Saffold’s heart lies. Undoubtably, the offensive line has improved, but if injuries can be minimized this line could be a top 10 line in the NFL.
Overall – Better

DEFENSE

Safeties - The loss of Quintin Mikell is a huge blow for the Rams. It will be very hard to replace his 101 tackles, four forced fumbles and three sacks. Craig Dahl on the other hand was somewhat of a frustrating player for the Ram supporters and not too many were sad to see him shipped to San Francisco. However, he did at least bring experience to the table, something the current safeties do not have. T.J. McDonald is a rookie with obviously no NFL experience and Darian Stewart didn’t start a single game last year. Although the safety position was addressed in the draft, this remains the Rams weakest position on the roster.
Overall – Worse

Cornerbacks - Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan had a very up and down season last year. Jenkins was more the case of rookie growing pains, as he struggled early on in the season to then become one of the most dangerous corners towards the end of the season. He had four defensive touchdowns, which is an all time rookie NFL record. Finnegan was on the opposite end. He started dangerously, having gotten an interception in his first three games, including taking one to the house. He then dropped a little in form, allowing more and more quarterbacks to target him. Trumaine Johnson is a long, rangy, athletic nickel corner who is looking like he has the goods.
Overall – Balanced

Linebackers - James Laurinitus has been the rock of this defence for the last four years. The only problem is that the Rams weren’t able to find Laurinitus any other linebackers to help support him. This was until the Rams signed Jo-Lonn Dunbar. He has been nothing short of a good linebacker for the Rams, as he was able to collect 115 tackles, 4.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and two interceptions. The one knock on Dunbar is that he is a liability in pass coverage. Now, in comes Alec Ogletree. He’s a hard hitting, rangy, fast linebacker from Georgia, who was actually a former safety. All of a sudden the Rams linebackers are almost the best position on the roster.
Overall – Better

Defensive Line - The reason behind the statement that ‘the Rams linebackers are almost the best position on the roster’ is simply because of these big guys. This front four played the starring role of the Rams being the number one sack team in the NFL last year, able to collect 52 sacks. You’ve got Robert Quinn who is itching to break out to be a 15+ sack player, Chris Long who is just a non stop beast on the other end, William Hayes who is the defensive linemen equivalent of a swiss army knife and finally the 21 year old who arguably had the best defensive linemen rookie season last year, Michael Brockers. Will the defensive line help the Rams reach 52 sacks this year? Maybe, maybe not. But will they be worse? Absolutely not.
Overall – Better

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pretty fair report.

I'd argue there is potential for us to be better at RB and Safety. But, understand that's a projection.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, sure, we can't replace 10,000 yards and 64 TDs this year. That would be impossible. The real question is, can we replace 1126 yards and 6 rushing TDs per season by committee? Despite his claims that a valuable point can't be made, I'm gonna go ahead suggest that those numbers aren't going to be all that difficult to replicate. In fact, it might be easier than he thinks.

In years prior (recent years), we were using the run to set up the pass, and oftentimes there really was no pass to set up. That's why Jackson was so valuable as a short-yardage back. He was able to get those tough yards. Now, however, we appear to be going to more of a spread-out (not spread) offense and our backs are much speedier/quicker/more elusive. Getting them to the edge is one way of doing it with guys like Pead, but Richardson is also a one-cut back who would benefit greatly from a spread-out offense (As is/would Stacy). And once Richardson gets past that first man, he's gone. In fact, both (Pead and Richardson) have the potential to get tons of yards that way - as well as after that first turn on the perimeter.

1126 yards and 6 TDs by committee? I think that's doable.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

Correct, however, in the over scheme of things there are more things to consider?

Putting the ball on the ground...Jackson did not fumble the others Richardson & Pead have had issues so far. Now I am hoping they improve, but considering Jackson did not makes this area of a concern going forward.

Pass protection...I know I am beating a dead horse, but until I see someone with this ability, it will be a concern.

Moving the chains...3rd & 1 who? Can they get one yard not in a spread formation? That is the question.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
X said:

Correct, however, in the over scheme of things there are more things to consider?

Putting the ball on the ground...Jackson did not fumble the others Richardson & Pead have had issues so far. Now I am hoping they improve, but considering Jackson did not makes this area of a concern going forward.

Pass protection...I know I am beating a dead horse, but until I see someone with this ability, it will be a concern.

Moving the chains...3rd & 1 who? Can they get one yard not in a spread formation? That is the question.
Good points, den - and legit concerns.

I don't know if fumbling is a real concern right now, because the sample size is too small. Could have just been rookie jitters and inexperience. Kendricks couldn't catch a pass to save his life in 2011 and rebounded nicely to become one of the more consistent targets for Bradford. So, jury's still out I suppose.

Pass protection can be taught. Jackson wasn't very good at that early on his career - despite his size. In fact, he was bad.

3rd & 1 is the least of my concerns. It really is. I can count on one hand the times Jackson moved a pile. It was amazing to watch, and it gave me goosebumps, but those times were few and far between. I've seen him get stuffed too, so it's all about the blocking up front. Technique and power combined can get any RB 1 yard (Richardson got that a couple of times, btw).

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A big step forward this year. The second year players will take a step up.
I don't think SJax and his style fit into what they want to do. Tho his pass pro will be missed.
Safeties, We might lose a little in run D but those guys last year couldn't cover a one legged fat man in pass pro last year. So what we have now will be a overall upgrade.

Overall much better depth on all the units. Only thing that bothers me is if we lose a couple CB's, then were in trouble.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:

These would be my only concern with the young running backs.

SJ on short yardage was just average, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yamahopper said:
Only thing that bothers me is if we lose a couple CB's, then were in trouble.

I'm right there with you on this one.

Let's hope some of the young/unknowns at this position shine in camp... McGee, Steeples, Pointer, or other!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CGI_Ram said:

Let's hope some of the young/unknowns at this position shine in camp... McGee, Steeples, Pointer, or other!

Seems Pointer is now a safety, however, McGee takes over for Fletcher and he offers more on special teams than Fletch, but might struggle in pass coverage until he gets more experience under his belt...As I posted before I am a big fan of Steeples and expect him to make the team, but I concur I hoping to see him inactive on game day with the likes of Finnegan, Jenkins & Johnson staying healthy.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X seeing what I saw:
3rd & 1 is the least of my concerns. It really is. I can count on one hand the times Jackson moved a pile. It was amazing to watch, and it gave me goosebumps, but those times were few and far between. I've seen him get stuffed too, so it's all about the blocking up front. Technique and power combined can get any RB 1 yard (Richardson got that a couple of times, btw).

The blocking was especially bad in the rd zone but even in the middle of the field I closed my eyes whenever we ran the ball on 3rd and 1.

Pointer is not a safety as per JT.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
X said:
I don't know if fumbling is a real concern right now, because the sample size is too small. Could have just been rookie jitters and inexperience. Kendricks couldn't catch a pass to save his life in 2011 and rebounded nicely to become one of the more consistent targets for Bradford. So, jury's still out I suppose.

Pass protection can be taught. Jackson wasn't very good at that early on his career - despite his size. In fact, he was bad.

Good points and I guess the jury is still out on holding onto the ball, but I hope Pead shows improvement in this area. You're correct about Jackson being taught, however, he had Faulk to teach him and now Jackson is gone so let's hope RB coach Ben Sirmans can get it done.

Jackson could have been better in short yardage, but I concur, it starts up front and if they have to go with a power package I am expecting quite a bit from blocking TE's Cory Harkey & Zach Potter!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I agree with pretty much everyone in terms of RB concerns. Ball security (SJ rarely ever fumbled) and blocking are the big question marks for me. But just from a stats view, SJ's numbers were pretty average. I don't think it'll be that hard to get 1,000+ yards and 6 TD's even my committee. I think Pead will do pretty well catching the ball also, as will Richardson.

A55VA6

Legend
The good thing is, we are "better" in alot of categories - on paper.

I think we'll be better at safety than we all think though.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
A55VA6 said:
The good thing is, we are "better" in alot of categories - on paper.

I think we'll be better at safety than we all think though.

I hope that holds true, I envision this team fairing quite well against the run and forcing teams to open it up through the air. I think they only allowed 4 100 yard rushers all year: Lynch twice ( :roll: ), Ridley in the Pats blowout and AP who scampered all over everyone. Morris/RG3 combined to go over 100, as did Kaepernick and Gore (Gore was held to a mere 58). That's a stout defense that yes 'on paper' appears to be better with more help at OLB. The ass end just needs to hold up!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think that our safeties, whoever they end up being, will be better than Mikell and Dahl, and I don't even think this one is debatable. Neither guy could cover anybody; neither guy intimidated anybody; neither guy could pick the ball off; one of the guys had no concept of angles when tackling; and one guy got burned every time you flashed a deep cross from one side of the field, and a deep seam from the other.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
I think that our safeties, whoever they end up being, will be better than Mikell and Dahl, and I don't even think this one is debatable. Neither guy could cover anybody; neither guy intimidated anybody; neither guy could pick the ball off; one of the guys had no concept of angles when tackling; and one guy got burned every time you flashed a deep cross from one side of the field, and a deep seam from the other.

That... is... hard... to... argue!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
den-the-coach said:
CGI_Ram said:
Seems Pointer is now a safety, however, McGee takes over for Fletcher and he offers more on special teams than Fletch, but might struggle in pass coverage until he gets more experience under his belt...As I posted before I am a big fan of Steeples and expect him to make the team, but I concur I hoping to see him inactive on game day with the likes of Finnegan, Jenkins & Johnson staying healthy.
I would look for very good improvement from the three new 2012 Ram Corners in 2013. This yr unlike last yr when they had to introduce themselves to each other & the Rams this season they have a full Ram season under their belts. When you think back that Bradley Fletcher was the best starting CB the Rams had then the three new guys show up and soon Fletcher is riding the bench and then let walk. Says something about the new guys. TJ has already shown he is ready to start if something was to happen to JJ or CF.

So the Fisher & DC Walton are once again going for youth & long term building here in the secondary. Some settle changes already learned is the rise of Rod McLeod. last yrs ST ace. We see early thus far where Rod is getting action in @ reserve CB behind Finnegan in the Nickle position. Then Brandon McGee is drafted in the 5th rd to replace Fletcher. Then a local player known in Robert Steeples, who has looked very good in OTA's show'd some ball hawking talent. Then UDFA's Drew Thomas, Darren Woodard & Andre Martin. Thats NINE DB's in some action @ CB & the Nickle!

Early odds are that both rookies Brandon McGee & Robert Steeples make the 53 player roster in 2013 as the 4th & 5th corners. Leaving one or two of the UDFA to fight over the PS CB spot.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Pretty fair report.

I'd argue there is potential for us to be better at RB and Safety. But, understand that's a projection.
with you CGI, not hard to replace 4 td's, the same with DA and Tavon
train

wv

Rookie
X said:

Dunno. Not sure I agree with that algebra. I think the comparison should be total rushing yards
last year compared to total-projection-yardage.
Will this years committee be better than last years combo of SJax-Richardson-Pead.
I dunno what the total rushing yards were last year.

w
v

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Richardson= 475
Pead= 54

So, 1655 and 6 TDs? I'm still thinking that's well within the realm of possibility.