The Rams have the best OL in the NFC West (and it's not close)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
"The offensive line is pretty important." - Captain Obvious

Looking back to 2022, the Rams OL returned only three starters from their Super Bowl squad, following the retirement of Andrew Whitworth and the departure of Austin Corbett. Add a bunch of injuries, and the unit became so decimated that it turned the post-Championship campaign into the worst sequel since Caddyshack 2.

Fast forward to now, though, and the OL has been refurbished and now, in my opinion, is the best unit in the NFC West... by far!

Going position by position, the top LT in the division is clearly still Trent Williams of the 49ers. Though he's getting up there in age, if he stays healthy, he's in a class by his own. The Rams return A.J. Jackson at LT, who had a solid season last year, and is playing on a "prove it" deal after being tendered as a RFA.

From there, though... its all Rams. I feel comfortable saying that the top 2 OGs in the division are Kevin Dotson and Jonah Jackson.

The next best interior OL in the division, in my opinion, is Steve Avila. The only thing stopping me from declaring him the best at his position is the fact that he's switching to center. He's played the position before, though, so I have high confidence in his ability to be the best center in the division.

Finally, we get to RT. Tell me who in the division has a better RT than Rob Havenstein. Paris Johnson in Arizona has potential, but he's not there yet.

This is a key part of McVay's plan. I think he looks back longingly at the Rams' divisional playoff win against the Cowboys in 2018-19, when the offense generated 273 rushing yards. Matthew Stafford also must be licking his chops at the prospect of strong pass protection and a highly-credible run threat.

I think this offense is on the verge (no pun intended, Jared, you play defense!) of great things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Quite possible. Depends on Jackson sustaining what he did last season. If he falters, then LT by virtue of its importance has the potential to sink this line's efficiency quite a bit in the pass game.

Good thing is Stafford should have a consistent pocket to step up in. That's a nice advantage for a LT.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Quite possible. Depends on Jackson sustaining what he did last season. If he falters, then LT by virtue of its importance has the potential to sink this line's efficiency quite a bit in the pass game.

Good thing is Stafford should have a consistent pocket to step up in. That's a nice advantage for a LT.
If Jackson needs help, can't an RB chip on non-blitzing plays?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

This team is a stud LT and a younger high level RT away from being a top 3 team.

The 2 OT spots are concerning when playing against a high caliber defensive front.

In a perfect world, maybe in 25' AJ moves the RT, and they get a top LT in the draft who is plug & play.... Assuming Havenstein is ready to hang them up.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This team is a stud LT and a younger high level RT away from being a top 3 team.

The 2 OT spots are concerning when playing against a high caliber defensive front.

In a perfect world, maybe in 25' AJ moves the RT, and they get a top LT in the draft who is plug & play.... Assuming Havenstein is ready to hang them up.
I would agree, like the stupid 9er's.. They get constant pressure without even blitzing.
And their OL is pretty darn good as well.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The most important unit on a football team.
I expect big things this year.
I always like seeing multiple O line Rams helmets at the Pro Bowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would agree, like the stupid 9er's.. They get constant pressure without even blitzing.
And their OL is pretty darn good as well.
Don’t know about that ? What they did do was get Trent Williams on the cheap,but his cap number now is really expensive.

Then there’s Bosa who I think is going to KILL there franchise with his cap (salary).
IMO Noteboom & Alaric Jackson are only going to be better in 2024.
Alaric & Johna being The William Bro’s highlighting Kyren !!

Then Big Rob & Dotson next to each other with a full training camp .Havenstien has ALWAYS had trouble against the speed rush,but having Dotson next to him while continuing to improve on his drop step will only make him better. Plus Mcvay(Lafluer) covering him up with a TE (wr) RB will help as well.
The last of the problems have been at Tackle.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The most important unit on a football team.
I expect big things this year.
I always like seeing multiple O line Rams helmets at the Pro Bowl.
I haven’t talked about Avila,but he was close to being a Pro Bowl player.All all player Brian Allen was an alternative 2 years ago.
Are you going back to Pace & Timmerman.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a great topic. We really DO have the best line in the NFC West.

I hope Havenstein keeps going. He’s only 32 (technically 31 - birthday is in 10 days). He’s one of the best… He’s started 130 games for us! Keep going Big Rob!

Jackson is solid. The interior is loaded and we appear set G / C / G. Boom is ready to play with other solid depth and competition behind him.

Well done, Rams! :thumbsup1:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Don’t know about that ? What they did do was get Trent Williams on the cheap,but his cap number now is really expensive.

Then there’s Bosa who I think is going to KILL there franchise with his cap (salary).
IMO Noteboom & Alaric Jackson are only going to be better in 2024.
Alaric & Johna being The William Bro’s highlighting Kyren !!

Then Big Rob & Dotson next to each other with a full training camp .Havenstien has ALWAYS had trouble against the speed rush,but having Dotson next to him while continuing to improve on his drop step will only make him better. Plus Mcvay(Lafluer) covering him up with a TE (wr) RB will help as well.
The last of the problems have been at Tackle.
Seemed like Stafford took a beating in that Lions game, and much of it was off the edge.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen Steve Avila move so quickly and effortlessly when he helps on double teams. Some times he would slide over and pancake AJ's man. Just thinking outside the box but does anyone think he could play LT next year and be very good at it? Just a thought because I really like this new kid they drafted at C.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, I'd agree we have the best offensive line. One thing 49er fans gripe about is their line. After Trent Williams the caliber of linemen drops quite a bit. The ones who weren't happy with their first round pick complained they needed line help more than receiver.

A. Jackson has been serviceable as a left tackle. Maybe even more than serviceable. J. Jackson is a solid vet. Avila is a talented player. Dotson was one of the leagues best guards last year. Havenstein is long time well established veteran.

The size and strength of the middle part of the line should really help in the run game. Especially in short yardage. There was a time when 3rd or 4th and one were passing situations. Not any more. Our running backs don't waste time hitting the line. You don't see them taking losses very often.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I haven’t talked about Avila,but he was close to being a Pro Bowl player.All all player Brian Allen was an alternative 2 years ago.
Are you going back to Pace & Timmerman.
I am going back to Slater, Saul, Hill, Harrah, Smith, Newberry.
I was not happy about giving up Kent Hill in the Evrett trade.
But I think it was Newberry who replaced him so it worked out.
Luv me some Rams O linemen.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If Jackson slightly ups his play, I'll say top 3 in the NFL. I wont get into injuries etc etc but these guys really have a chance to dominate.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Looking forward to seeing what this line is, I like it on paper. AJ struggled early and against really athletic edges or ends. Rob has had his trouble with bendy quick guys too but that is being a bit nitpicky.
If AJ builds on the last part of 2023, we could be very good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Jackson needs help, can't an RB chip on non-blitzing plays?
Indeed the RB can help but then the defense is +1. And DCs who have matchup advantages vs LT will begin gameplanning accordingly.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seemed like Stafford took a beating in that Lions game, and much of it was off the edge.
Well I’d say the game plan changed.You can think as you seemed.You tell me ? Which side did it come from,or up the middle ?

We can have our own perspective,just wondering what everyone seems ?

Old school was totally WRONG about The Rams thought process with there direction. Which was VERY Obvious & like that every season (year).

Jourdan is still wrong about Joesph Noteboom & wants to add on to the Matthew Stafford DRAMA.

If — well there’s a lot of IF’s . We all have them & there is so many.I’ll just say I’m glad Brian Allen(first NFL) player to get COVID 69(55) was CUT !! I’ll agree that it finally happened a season late(Rodriguez),but I will always say Big Whitworth took (mentored) Noteboom under his wings.

From my point of view & what The meaning of that Big Picture is the Picture I took of Rob,Note,& Whit knowing that was The HOF(oldest ever) Tackle last season. He did go out winning a Superbowl & Allen was the starting Center(undersized imo).

I also think Tutu Atwell is going to have a GREAT season for a backup WR. He is no Creed Humpries,but The Rams have Steve Avila as there center hopefully for 3 more seasons at least.

I mean this preseason is going to be FUN to watch those 3 games.The Rams always give rookies such GREAT GAME tape,unless they are going to start for The Rams ???

Yeah I was a Dickerson Fan & is he better than Johan Williams(Steve Avila) at LG ??? Still think he is better than Creed ?? All subjective & why he isn’t going to play Center ??? So The Rams drafting a Center(big strong) could help The Rams with depth at LG ?? Still what is Zach Thomas’s future??? I’ll always ask why Noteboom didn’t move from RG to LT ???Also what he did against The Giants was impressive playing through injury.
Yes he gets injured to often,but hope good of a LT will he be healthy ?
So from all that I’ll say imo it seems like The Rams will be better of the Edge with the talent inside. The depth has only gotten better after The Draft as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Indeed the RB can help but then the defense is +1. And DCs who have matchup advantages vs LT will begin gameplanning accordingly.
Yeah SURE MERLIN !! I’ve seen you complain & want some dud the chargers pick when they were still in San Diego.I don’t know who are what position your worried about ?

I’ll continue to say Zak Kromer know what is going on & The Rams can game plan against offenses as well. Plus a seasoned VET is not a bad proposition.Then again I’m not asking them for solicitation. To say I’m going to put 50 Dimes on The Rams to win 8 games is not what I can risk back in the fisher days,but that extra game(17) makes it easier like last season.

Who knew about Kyren(Akers)Williams being the 2nd best RB in The NFL.What some Ram Fans want to forget is his injuries & who was blocking for him.

Now add to the RB’s & Johan Williams & Dotson getting a full training camp in.Add a healthy Noteboom for where ever he fits ?
I’d say dollar for dollar The Rams have invested wisely a long with The Draft.

Still have to LMAO about Fury Burger or whoever(Peter) that was. Les Snead is still LOL about that story.

TexasRam

Legend
First off, we need Jonah to stay healthy. The dude can be a great run blocker but has a history of getting banged up. The run game should be top notch if the big 5 can avoid the injury bug. All 5 are road graders.

The big 5 are probably going to be average in pass pro, but hopefully the run game can set that pass game up. Hopefully Mcvay has the discipline to trust his guys and be patient.