The Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/12/19/5200764/st-louis-rams-off-season-primer-the-offensive-line
St. Louis Rams' Off Season Primer: The Offensive Line
The 2014 NFL Draft is still many months away. With the Rams out of playoff contention, thoughts begin to turn towards the off season, particularly the NFL Draft. The Rams will have many difficult decisions to make between now and May. Many of those decisions are in regards to the offensive line. What will the Rams attempt to accomplish between now and May? How will the moves made before the draft influence their selections come draft time? Part two - of an eight-part off season primer series - examines the many questions surrounding the offensive line.

As the 2013 NFL regular season winds down, thoughts begin to focus on the off season, particularly the 2014 NFL Draft. Seven round St. Louis Rams mocks are appearing with greater frequency. The majority of these mocks are well thought-out, and reflect the Rams' perceived needs. Therein lies the rub. What will the Rams' needs be come May?

In part one of the off season primer series, I examined the Rams' 2014 salary cap situation and potential cap casualties. Another important area to analyze - in determining the Rams' needs going into the 2014 NFL Draft - is the offensive line. It may be the most important - and difficult - area for the Rams to deal with this off season.

The accompanying chart presents the Rams' offensive line depth chart heading into the 2013-14 off season:

Center
Scott WellsTim BarnesBarrett Jones
GuardHarvey DahlBrandon Washington
GuardChris WilliamsShelley Smith
TackleJoe BarksdaleRodger SaffoldSean Hooey
TackleJake LongMike Person

The depth chart includes players currently on the 53 man roster, injured reserve, and the practice squad.

Off Season Uncertainty
Many uncertainties surround the Rams' offensive line heading into the off season. Difficult decisions will need to be made. Decisions that will have an impact on the Rams' 2014 draft. The end result is likely to be a 2014 offensive line that's dramatically different in composition than the 2013 version.

Rodger Saffold, Chris Williams, Shelley Smith, and Tim Barnes all become free agents this year. Rodger Saffold may hold the key to how the Rams' entire off season unfolds. Saffold will command 6-7 million per year as a free agent. Will the Rams be able to re-sign him, given their tight cap space situation? Will other teams be willing to overpay for his services, despite his injury history? Can Saffold thrive as a guard, and be worth the price due to his versatility? The other three pending free agents have shown no better than average abilities. All three are better suited as back ups. Losing all three could create a serious depth problem for the interior line. An upgrade at left guard should be a priority for the Rams in the off season.

Joe Barksdale has proven to be an adequate replacement for Rodger Saffold at right tackle. He has consistently been one of the better offensive linemen for the Rams throughout the 2013 season. Barksdale has one year remaining on his initial rookie contract. He becomes a free agent after the 2014 season. If he continues to improve next season, the Rams could end up in the same contractual situation they currently have with Rodger Saffold. The Rams will likely consider an extension for Barksdale in the coming months.

Sean Hooey, Brandon Washington, and Mike Person have done little to distinguish themselves this season. They appear to be nothing more than back ups/practice squad material. None of the three are likely to factor into the Rams' long-term plans.

Jake Long has played very well and is entrenched at left tackle. Barrett Jones? Next season's starting center, or a valuable back up across the line? Irrespective, he will be an integral part of the unit for many years.

As noted in part one of the off season primer series (link), both Harvey Dahl and Scott Wells may become salary cap casualties this off season. Age, declining skills, injury issues and big cap hits could spell the end of their tenures with the Rams.

Given all the uncertainty - and potential for a 75% turnover in offensive line personnel - it's imperative the Rams place great importance on resolving the many issues, through free agency and the 2014 NFL Draft. It could take many months to develop an accurate assessment of the Rams' needs heading into the draft.

Off Season Case Study
Given all the moving parts and uncertainties surrounding the offensive line this off season, predicting what will occur is extremely difficult. The following is a possible scenario/example that potentially resolves all of the uncertainties, and forms the basis for further discussion:

• The Rams release Harvey Dahl, Scott Wells, Brandon Washington, Mike Person and Sean Hooey.
  • St. Louis re-signs Rodger Saffold to a 5 year contract for 30-32.5 million. Saffold would be worth paying a premium for (if necessary) because of his versatility across the line. His signing precludes the Rams having to sign multiple players in his place.
  • Chris Williams, Shelley Smith, and Tim Barnes are not re-signed as free agents.
  • The Rams sign free agent center Alex Mack [Cleveland Browns] to a 5 year contract for 30 million.
  • In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Rams acquire multiple picks by trading down the Washington pick twice in the first round [while still retaining 2 first round picks in the process]. The Rams select Guard Gabe Jackson of Mississippi State in the second round, Tackle/Guard La'el Collins of LSU in the second round, and Guard Spencer Long of Nebraska in the fifth round. In my trade-down scenarios the Rams will have 3 premium picks remaining - both first round selections plus another second round pick - to address other areas [WR, DT, CB, S].
  • To accommodate the signings financially, the Rams create additional cap space by restructuring James Laurinaitis' contract, and releasing Cortland Finnegan. The combined effect of releasing Finnegan, Dahl, and Wells - and restructuring Laurinaitis - would be the creation of approximately 20 million in salary cap space, with 13 million of that amount available to sign Saffold and Mack.
  • The Rams are essentially trading the 2013 cap hits of Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, and Rodger Saffold for the 2014 cap hits of Alex Mack and Rodger Saffold, while devoting draft capital in the second round (twice) and fifth round to further address the offensive line. This scenario involves the Rams remaining in a tight cap space situation throughout 2014.
The accompanying chart presents the Rams' offensive line depth chart after the off season transactions and draft choices:

CenterAlex MackBarrett Jones
GuardGabe JacksonSpencer Long
GuardRodger Saffold
TackleJoe BarksdaleLa'el Collins
TackleJake Long

As part of an alternate solution, the Rams could forgo signing Alex Mack, and instead trust the center position to Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes, at a fraction of the cost. There are a myriad of possibilities that exist, each with its own opportunity cost. This case study is but one of the many possibilities. What could a dominant offensive line mean to the Rams offense in 2014...and beyond?

Drafting An Offensive Lineman In The First Round?
It's a well-known fact that Jeff Fisher - in 18 full seasons as a head coach - has never selected an offensive lineman in the first round of the NFL draft. His draft history indicates a pattern of selecting offensive linemen in later rounds and developing them. Is that enough evidence to suggest a set-in-stone draft philosophy, or was it merely happenstance? The answer is likely a bit of both.

When asked - in February of 2012 - about drafting offensive linemen in the first round, Fisher commented on his draft history:

"I think it's the way it happened. Brad Hopkins was selected a couple of years beforehand, and Coach (Mike) Munchak does an outstanding job of evaluating the offensive line, as did the staff."

Fisher had the luxury of an All-Pro left tackle [Hopkins, a 1st round pick] for the first 11 years of his coaching tenure. In addition, Hall of Fame inductee Bruce Matthews [another 1st round pick] anchored the interior line for 8 years during the Fisher regime:

"We just felt like over the years that we could get those guys in Round 2, 3 or 4 and develop 'em. And we did so. We've got an outstanding offensive line coach with us as well (in St. Louis), and we share some of the same philosophies. That doesn't mean to say we won't take an offensive lineman that high, though."

Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports reported from inside the Rams' war room during the 2012 NFL Draft (link). The Rams ended up taking DT Michael Brockers with the 14th pick in the first round. The Rams did have a contingency plan in case he was taken before their selection:

"Had Brockers come off the board next, the Rams would have tried to trade down further in the first round or, failing that, chosen between Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff or Stanford guard David DeCastro."

Peter King of Sports Illustrated was inside the Rams' war room for the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. In his article "The Panic Room" (link), King alluded to a contingency plan the Rams had in place, if Alec Ogletree was selected before their 2nd pick in the first round:

"The Rams sat at 22. They wanted Ogletree and were reasonably confident he'd be there. But they'd been talking with Houston at 27 and Atlanta at 30 about moving down to recoup some of what they'd given up to acquire Austin. Their fallback guy was UCLA defensive end Datone Jones, but if he and Ogletree were gone, they'd take Kentucky guard Larry Warford."

Jeff Fisher's draft philosophy - with respect to offensive linemen - could play an important role in the Rams' off season and 2014 NFL Draft.
So much for not drafting an O-lineman in the first round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you're right, Alan. I'd love to have Jake Matthews in Horns!

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 adding:
I hope you're right, Alan. I'd love to have Jake Matthews in Horns!
Well it's straight from the horse's mouth so that's very encouraging to me.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Barksdale is good enough at RT. He's not good enough anywhere else on the OL. And he is the only OT we've got that isn't injury prone.

Not drafting an OT in the first round is a huge risk.

Last year they signed Jake after putting him through an excruciatingly long physical. Well, he won't pass it now.

And they moved Saffold to RT and he promptly got injured again. Do you trust him to play LT if Long isn't ready or gets hurt again? Not me.

Anyway, that article prescribes drafting OGs in the 2nd round, but no OT in the first round. :slap:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barksdale is good enough at RT. He's not good enough anywhere else on the OL. And he is the only OT we've got that isn't injury prone.

Not drafting an OT in the first round is a huge risk.

Last year they signed Jake after putting him through an excruciatingly long physical. Well, he won't pass it now.

And they moved Saffold to RT and he promptly got injured again. Do you trust him to play LT if Long isn't ready or gets hurt again? Not me.

Anyway, that article prescribes drafting OGs in the 2nd round, but no OT in the first round. :slap:

Yea, that's the weird thing. Saffold stayed remarkably healthy at OG after getting hurt at OT then moves back out to OT and promptly gets injured. Hopefully that means he'll stay healthy at OG if we re-sign him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yea, that's the weird thing. Saffold stayed remarkably healthy at OG after getting hurt at OT then moves back out to OT and promptly gets injured. Hopefully that means he'll stay healthy at OG if we re-sign him.

I believe there's hope for that.

But relying on the combination of Long and Saffold to play LOT and stay healthy is pure folly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe there's hope for that.

But relying on the combination of Long and Saffold to play LOT and stay healthy is pure folly.

Which is why jrry32 is firmly seated on the Jake Matthews bandwagon. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We may have to stay at #2 to get him and Snead ain't doing that.

Maybe but I just don't see Jacksonville, Oakland or Cleveland taking him. Which would mean it would have to be Atlanta at #6 or a trade up. That's assuming Oakland retains Veldheer.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Maybe but I just don't see Jacksonville, Oakland or Cleveland taking him. Which would mean it would have to be Atlanta at #6 or a trade up. That's assuming Oakland retains Veldheer.

Jax is most likely going for a QB or Watkins. Splash player.
Cleve wants a QB. And they have Joe Thomas.
I don't see either of them trading down.
The team I fear at this point is Oak. They could trade the pick like they did last year. We probably have a decent chance at Matthews if we trade with Oak.

Alan

Legend
max having trouble with the font:

You need to read that article again max but this time read all the words. :wink:

"Had Brockers come off the board next, the Rams would have tried to trade down further in the first round or, failing that, chosen between Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff or Stanford guard David DeCastro."

When asked - in February of 2012 - about drafting offensive linemen in the first round, Fisher commented on his draft history:
"I think it's the way it happened. Brad Hopkins was selected a couple of years beforehand, and Coach (Mike) Munchak does an outstanding job of evaluating the offensive line, as did the staff."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Hopkins
Hopkins was selected in the first round of the 1993 NFL Draft by the Houston Oilers.

So the Oilers had already drafted their LT IN THE FIRST ROUND and they were all set for 13 years afterwards. An OT was definitely in the mix in the first round when Brockers was chosen. That means he doesn't really have a problem drafting an OT in the first round, he just hasn't had the need until now.

bskrilla

Starter
" Their fallback guy was UCLA defensive end Datone Jones"

I think this is the most interesting part. Makes me wonder if they would actually consider taking Clowney in the first this year, considering they were going to take a lesser DE in the late 1st last year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like Matthews a lot in the first round. He fills a need and has the talent to be that first round OT regardless of what his name is. I have serious doubts about Long being ready to go in the preseason or even the first game of 2014. Once Long is back and with Jones and Matthews there is a lot of flexibility in this group to be a very strong group that is at least 6 deep.

RT Barksdale/Matthews/Saffold
RG Saffold/Jones
C Barnes/Jones
RG Jones/Matthews
LT Long/Matthews

Alan

Legend
blackbart vocalizing almost everyone's view:
I have serious doubts about Long being ready to go in the preseason or even the first game of 2014.
If I was in charge I'd put him on that short 6 week IR to start the season and insure he's totally recovered before he re-enters the fray.

iced

So fisher isn't opposed to drafting an o-lineman in the first round....it just appears they've never been first choice.

"We just felt like over the years that we could get those guys in Round 2, 3 or 4 and develop 'em. And we did so. We've got an outstanding offensive line coach with us as well (in St. Louis), and we share some of the same philosophies. That doesn't mean to say we won't take an offensive lineman that high, though."

Looks like what I said about Fish was right jrry - he prefers to get his lineman in the later rounds.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If I was in charge I'd put him on that short 6 week IR to start the season and insure he's totally recovered before he re-enters the fray.
Really glad that is an option for them now. Guess we'll have to wait for camp to get here and see where he is and who we have picked up, they have to have a contingency plan.

Cory

UDFA
What about Cedric Ogbuehi? That is if he declares. The way a&m is producing these tackles does anyone feel it could be possible we take Clowney at 2 and target Cedric at 13? The thinking is that if Cedric went back to a&m for another year he could potentially be a top 5 pick in next years class. So in essence we are getting two top picks.