The hunting thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Today is opening day and I know we have some hunters on here. Let’s see those antlers!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
855BB53D-86CA-4F5B-BD6C-CC8734A9712D.jpeg

My dad got this one today

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Today is opening day and I know we have some hunters on here. Let’s see those antlers!
It's always something I've wanted to do, but haven't invested the time or money into buying equipment and licenses. The hunting isn't that great in California, but I had a brother in law living in Missouri and he regularly nabbed some bucks. The taste of a nice gamey backstrap is excellent.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Very nice! I always look forward to that first deer and cooking up that back straps that day! Mmm mmm mmm. This year, health issues have stopped me from getting up in the woods. But I will put one down!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was an avid hunter for about twenty years. But, I never was much for sitting in the cold. I liked small game hunting along with duck, goose, and pheasant hunting. Eventually I got into archery. I loved it. It wasn't cold, I could sit comfortably for most of the day, and there weren't people in the woods with guns to worry about. I did that for about ten years, and then I gave it up when I first had trouble with my neck, around 2001.

I got back to rifle hunting about four years ago, but not archery. My kids were young and it was tough to find the time. Plus drawing a bow is still out of the question with the way my neck is. I just bought a crossbow yesterday. My kids are more maintenance free now that they are older and I am able to shout a crossbow. I am just going to hunt from the ground, in a blind instead of a tree stand. But that won't happen until next fall. Rifle season opens on Monday. It's been damp and suddenly very cold. It's supposed to rain all day Monday. I am not so excited about it this year, but Ill likely go out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I haven't been able to hunt for a few years and it's killing me.

Here's a couple from a few years ago. My wife's first Mulie buck and a nice little 4x4 I got in another area. My wife has taken 4 shots out hunting and taken 4 deer. Don't mess with the huntress. We take our hunting serious and load our own shells, target practice religiously, and make sure we do everything to make a quick, humane kill.

I've taken many game animals including wild pig, 3 types of deer, two types of elk, bear, several types of birds, etc. They all have their unique qualities to the meat and used to fill our freezer.

And to those who are against hunting, these animals had a real life for years before they were taken more humanely than virtually any farm animals. Game meat is the only true free range meat you will ever have the honor of putting on your table. It's better for you, the animals have had a real life, completely hormone free, truly organic (at least where I hunt), Mad cow disease free, extremely low in cholesterol, and you get tons of exercise while earning your food.
Beckys buck 4.JPG
IMAG0079.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But, I never was much for sitting in the cold. I liked small game hunting along with duck, goose,
Coldest hunting I've ever done. I have never been much for sitting in a blind either. Cold, windy, and wet as hell is some of the best duck hunting weather. Pretty much says it all. Not that it stops me. ;)

Eventually I got into archery.
I love archery hunting. Very few hunters and you really get in close. It's hard to beat as a hunting experience being 10 yards from a huge bull elk and not being able to get off a shot because everything wasn't just right. I've had so many great experiences bow hunting. My wife's dad used to make my bows before he passed. My 72# long bow is so light, it's a dream to carry around the woods. I hunt more with the compound these days as I no longer have a bow lane in my back yard and I don't get to shoot year 'round.

I just bought a crossbow yesterday.
We can't use them out west. My wife has one as she's a huge Darryl (sp?) fan.:LOL: My boys and I bought it for her birthday one year.