The Houston Texans Are Willing To Trade The Draft's Top Pick, Should The Browns Try To Move Up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

[www.cleveland.com]

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Houston Texans finished the season with 14 straight losses. Their 2-14 record earned them the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft. But with more than four months until draft day, Texans owner Bob McNair says his team is willing to move out of the top spot despite their glaring need for a new quarterback.

"Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said last week. "It's an exciting time. Everything's a moving target. Lot of different pieces."

The draft class hasn't been finalized. New underclassmen are making their declarations every day. UCF quarterback Blake Bortles is the latest to announce his intentions, with still more to come.

Quarterbacks will likely dominate the early selections. The Texans (first pick), Jaguars (third pick), Raiders (fifth pick) and Vikings (eighth pick) are all drafting in the Top 10 and need a quarterback. After yesterday's playoff debacle, the Cincinnati Bengals could also go searching for a new signal caller.

Then of course there are the Browns - the team that has had so many different QBs since 1999 that an ever-changing jersey has been created.

The Browns front office has racked up the frequent flyer miles traveling across the country, doing their homework on this group of QBs. With Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer and Brandon Weeden currently listed on the quarterback depth chart, finding a new quarterback is near the top of the Browns' priority list.

With the fourth pick, they seem to be positioned well if that's the direction they chose to go in. However, the QB class was reduced after UCLA's potential star - Brett Hundley - decided against entering early.

It could mean the Browns are once again left without a seat when the final note plays in another game of off-season quarterback musical chairs.

Whether the Texans stance changes by the draft is anyone's guess. For now they are willing to do business if some team comes calling with an offer. Could the Browns be one of the teams to pick up the phone? Could they make a bold move to ensure leaving the draft with the top QB?

Teams may not completely abide by the NFL Draft trade value chart. The Washington Redskins blew it to pieces when they dealt numerous picks for the right to move up four slots in 2012 and draft Robert Griffin III, last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year. But as you can see below it would take the Browns and Texans swapping the first-overall and fourth-overall picks as a start. Along with that, Cleveland would have to give Houston its second first-rounder that the Browns received in the early-season Trent Richardson deal as well as a second-rounder.

Is that price worth it for the Browns to move up and select the top quarterback - Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel or Bortles?

NFL Draft Value Chart

screenshot_190.png

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I would hope that we agree a deal for the number two pick before Houston sells its number one. If they trade for, say a second a first next year, other teams will see that and we won't get anywhere near that for our prime spot.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would hope that we agree a deal for the number two pick before Houston sells its number one. If they trade for, say a second a first next year, other teams will see that and we won't get anywhere near that for our prime spot.

Houston could very well feel comfortable to slide into Clevelands spot and draft a QB there.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Indeed they could, PhxRam, but our bargaining position will depend on how much compensation Houston receives for its number one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Houston could very well feel comfortable to slide into Clevelands spot and draft a QB there.

The Texans then take a chance that the top three QB's are off the board too after the Rams trade out with a Qb needy team....not so sure they do that. That looks far from comfortable for the QBless Texans. idiots. This Brown spot is not good for the Texans its better to be @ #3 not #4. I consider this unlikely.

Alan

Legend
The key is how Cleveland feels about Bridgewater. If they think he's a step above the rest of the QBs they might just bite. I'm holding my breath even as we speak.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think HOU mentioning a willingness to trade out effectively kills our chances of making a trade before draft day like we did last year.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If im a QB needy team with a pick in the top 10-12 I'm not going to trade up.

The only player in the draft worth trading up to 1 for is Jadveon Clowney. And there's no point trading up to 1 for him because Houston aren't going to take him! Neither are we at 2!

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I think HOU mentioning a willingness to trade out effectively kills our chances of making a trade before draft day like we did last year.
Probably so. But Snead will be ready to trade during the draft, with all realistic contingencies already scoped out, and he'll be ready to maximize the value he can with that 2nd pick.

Alan

Legend
RaminExile with this thought:
Neither are we at 2!
That doesn't matter. What matters is there are many who would like to draft him and they all must go through us to get there. And Houston but Houston also needs a QB so if they really want Bridgewater then they can trade down with someone who wants Clowney and then trade up with us and only us to get Bridgewater.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm calling BS on Houston. They want a kings ransom and Bridgwater isn't going to bring that. So they'll draft him. They need a freaking QB!

Trade down and settle for what's left? No way.