The end of the gasoline powered car?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
While visiting Jacksonville this past weekend, I stopped in the Tesla store just killing time and satisfying curiosity. Price tag on the two they had there were $79k for a crossover type and $147k for a sports car. Salesman tells me battery life is 12 to 15 yrs and dodged replacement costs. Claims Tesla has 95% of the country covered with recharge stations that will fully charge battery in 30 minutes with a range between 230 to 300 miles. Still a ways to go for the average working American to dive into this market but they are getting closer. Oh, top speed for the sports car is 240mph with 2.2 second 60mph.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
While visiting Jacksonville this past weekend, I stopped in the Tesla store just killing time and satisfying curiosity. Price tag on the two they had there were $79k for a crossover type and $147k for a sports car. Salesman tells me battery life is 12 to 15 yrs and dodged replacement costs. Claims Tesla has 95% of the country covered with recharge stations that will fully charge battery in 30 minutes with a range between 230 to 300 miles. Still a ways to go for the average working American to dive into this market but they are getting closer. Oh, top speed for the sports car is 240mph with 2.2 second 60mph.
30 minutes to charge? That's going to cramp a lot of people's style.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
30 minutes to charge? That's going to cramp a lot of people's style.
Yes it will. I told the salesman for them to keep improving. Once they get it down to 10 minutes, have a charging station at just about every exit of the interstate, and cut the cost of their vehicles by 50% +, they'll start taking over the market because they have some pretty cool features already.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Mack, a thoughtful and well-written response as always. How are you? There is a house for sale in my neighborhood. You and the family could move in and be just a few doors down from George and Jamie Edwards, the Vikings Defensive Coordinator! Seriously, they are renting the house next door to us; I chatted with them at a garage sale last Saturday. Very nice people. he thinks very highly of Todd Gurley and what the Rams have done on defense this offseason.

I think fully autonomous electric vehicles will have no more than a niche in the transportation system for the foreseeable future, and I mean for decades to come. Too many costly obstacles that need to be addressed by governments at all levels. Check out this article from a few years ago. Personal rapid transit was thought to be the cutting edge of public transportation, but there were too many issues for it to be anything more than a novelty. https://www.citylab.com/life/2014/0...sit-is-probably-never-going-to-happen/380467/

Well, the move to Minny is off, but thanks for thinking of me.

I agree that pods on rails probably isn’t going to be the future, but fully autonomous electric vehicles are already here and in our environment.

People thought VCRs would be a niche market.

AT&T famously commissioned a study in 1980 by McKinsey and Co about cell phone adoption by the year 2000. They guessed 900k. The actual number was 109M.

The conventional wisdom was that HD streaming wouldn’t be a thing because there wasn’t enough broadband capacity. Now, we’re seeing the death of physical media like CDs, DVD and even Blu-Ray.

The list is long of the tech that people couldn’t envision changing everything only to look back and realize that once the tech is adopted, people can’t imagine being without it.

I mean once you could get kids movies on VCR, what parent wanted to take their young kids to the movies? Once cell phones became affordable, who wanted to keep a pocket of change and grab a public phone handle the that likely had urine and tetanus on it?

I don’t know exactly what it will look like, but nothing will look the same in 20 years just like nothing looks the same as it did in 1998. Some things remain similar and others look radically different even if one discounts hair styles and fashion.

Oh and it’s a fun conversation.