The Different Age Groups have even less in Common

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Be thankful for the differences

I made the mistake of showing my son the first Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk episode from 1978 — and he totally loved it. Dude is 15. I enjoyed it too, but just wanted to wax nostalgic for an episode — but now every freakin’ evening for the last two weeks we have to watch at least 1 episode sometimes 2. Not like Bill Bixby doesn’t rock and the scripts aren’t well written but there is only so much blatant plot rip offs from stuff like Duel and The China Syndrome you can take before you start rolling your eyes. I realize that when I was a kid back in 1978 I loved that shit too, but now that I am older it’s not as cool. Believe me the nostalgia wears off.

Luckily there is only one season of it left!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Believe me the nostalgia wears off.
For sure. I remember a few years back reminiscing about my early early teens and I all of a sudden wanted to download a shitload of KISS songs. They were the SHIT when I was around 12-13 years old. Had all their albums, waited desperately in anticipation for their movie to come out, bought T-shirts, dressed like Ace Frehley for Halloween, etc. So I got on some random websites and downloaded about 30 songs. Then I listened to them.

"Holy Hell this is some garbage music."

I have no earthly idea why I ever liked that band. lol. All pomp and no real artistry.

Ace Frehley though? That dude could shred.

oldnotdead

Legend
Yeah I'm old chronologically, but not my mind. I don't have a problem with relating to or communicating with younger people. My son is a millennial and when I had my home in San Diego, he and all his friends would gather in his room, our patio, deck and even in the garage. I asked him about it and he said it's because I was the only parent who welcomed them. I set very hardline rules about certain things and they knew there were borders not to be crossed and for the most part they weren't.

One of his friends talked to me at length about things bothering him. He was simply seeking advice and guidance he couldn't get at home from his parents. He said it was because he knew I wouldn't sit in judgement but would rather help him find his own way. He told me that all of his friends felt the same way and why they enjoyed visiting. They felt safe there. I set very clear boundaries and they knew as long as lines weren't crossed there was no problem. More importantly I gave them the respect I insisted from them.

My son is 22 and I'm proud of the fact that he still comes to me with his problems. We still talk and he listens to what I tell him. I impress upon him that some day he will have his own kids and he should remember how I raised him. I know he will raise his own children as he was raised.

The problem with many older people in dealing with younger people is a tendency to be judgmental, and intolerant of change. I suppose the reason I don't have a problem with younger people is that I always remember what it was like when I was their age. People always berated me because of my looks, the length of my hair, as well as my race. Because of it I was a rebel my entire life. But my father tempered it when he kept impressing upon me one simple rule. You need to give respect if you are going to demand it, i.e. you need to treat people how you wish to be treated.

My son and his friends enjoy things I have difficulty in understanding at times. But I accept it as theirs and understand it really doesn't matter if I like it or not. I'm not afraid of change, it's part of life. I've changed during my life, as has the world. I understand that either you change with the world or you get left behind. That's our choice. So I change as much as I need to and don't worry about the rest. My son told me on my birthday that I was the youngest old man he's ever known.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
C’ mon
For sure. I remember a few years back reminiscing about my early early teens and I all of a sudden wanted to download a shitload of KISS songs. They were the SHIT when I was around 12-13 years old. Had all their albums, waited desperately in anticipation for their movie to come out, bought T-shirts, dressed like Ace Frehley for Halloween, etc. So I got on some random websites and downloaded about 30 songs. Then I listened to them.

"Holy Hell this is some garbage music."

I have no earthly idea why I ever liked that band. lol. All pomp and no real artistry.

Ace Frehley though? That dude could shred.
C’mon -X-, KISS blew in the 70’s. NOT a good example of outgrowing something questionable from back then. Now if you had said groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, RUSH, The Eagles, or even Pat Travers Band....we’d have to throw down...*flexes guns..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I'm old chronologically, but not my mind. I don't have a problem with relating to or communicating with younger people. My son is a millennial and when I had my home in San Diego, he and all his friends would gather in his room, our patio, deck and even in the garage. I asked him about it and he said it's because I was the only parent who welcomed them. I set very hardline rules about certain things and they knew there were borders not to be crossed and for the most part they weren't.

One of his friends talked to me at length about things bothering him. He was simply seeking advice and guidance he couldn't get at home from his parents. He said it was because he knew I wouldn't sit in judgement but would rather help him find his own way. He told me that all of his friends felt the same way and why they enjoyed visiting. They felt safe there. I set very clear boundaries and they knew as long as lines weren't crossed there was no problem. More importantly I gave them the respect I insisted from them.

My son is 22 and I'm proud of the fact that he still comes to me with his problems. We still talk and he listens to what I tell him. I impress upon him that some day he will have his own kids and he should remember how I raised him. I know he will raise his own children as he was raised.

The problem with many older people in dealing with younger people is a tendency to be judgmental, and intolerant of change. I suppose the reason I don't have a problem with younger people is that I always remember what it was like when I was their age. People always berated me because of my looks, the length of my hair, as well as my race. Because of it I was a rebel my entire life. But my father tempered it when he kept impressing upon me one simple rule. You need to give respect if you are going to demand it, i.e. you need to treat people how you wish to be treated.

My son and his friends enjoy things I have difficulty in understanding at times. But I accept it as theirs and understand it really doesn't matter if I like it or not. I'm not afraid of change, it's part of life. I've changed during my life, as has the world. I understand that either you change with the world or you get left behind. That's our choice. So I change as much as I need to and don't worry about the rest. My son told me on my birthday that I was the youngest old man he's ever known.
Yeah, but the point wasn’t younger generation’s not knowing what’s good, it was that our society is so splintered by options, that good quality shows are difficult to communally see anymore. The big Networks have veered toward reality TV and the rest of it is mostly unwatchable, with a few exceptions.
My 25 year old friend recognized something good, when he saw it. Movies, music, and tv shows.

In one of the recent remakes of Godzilla, I played Blue Oyster Cult’s “Godzilla” on You Tube for him before he saw the movie and he really liked it. They used in the new Godzilla movie....lol

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Gene editing with CRSPR? It's going to be a game changer. I don't think we'll like the new game, but it will change for sure.
Yes the promise of CRSPR is exciting and the potential for abuse is frightening.