The depth of this draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Eagles only had like 5 picks next yr and are looking at losing a pick or more due to the tampering investigation.

They also won't have a lot of cap room next year.

so they needed 25' picks.

I don't buy the Covid thing that much. Having more guys stay in school and coming out as older prospects, in my view adds mature talent to the draft.

Not saying this was a great class, but I am not getting how Covid affects it that much. I can see back in 2021 it might have been an issue because that year, many guys who could have went into the draft stayed back to get back a lost senior year. My kid did that at his D3 school for baseball...got his masters before hitting the workforce.

However, by now, 3 yrs later, that has all worked it's way through the system.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Eagles only had like 5 picks next yr and are looking at losing a pick or more due to the tampering investigation.

They also won't have a lot of cap room next year.

so they needed 25' picks.

I don't buy the Covid thing that much. Having more guys stay in school and coming out as older prospects, in my view adds mature talent to the draft.

Not saying this was a great class, but I am not getting how Covid affects it that much. I can see back in 2021 it might have been an issue because that year, many guys who could have went into the draft stayed back to get back a lost senior year. My kid did that at his D3 school for baseball...got his masters before hitting the workforce.

However, by now, 3 yrs later, that has all worked it's way through the system.
It hasn't all worked itself out. Next year it will have worked its way out. A few years ago it was an issue also.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hey look I found some guys talking about the opposite in the internet

View: https://m.facebook.com/reel/367810076086466/

I didn't go looking for it. Its just the latest of many podcasts where they have said this. Since some people hete seem to think Im making that up, I provided proof.

I'll lean towards believing the opinions of guys at The Athletic, along with Kiper', Charles Robinson, and PFF over made fan pages and podcasts. Many of them have team sources or work at places with NFL team sources, so I trust that they are not making it all up either. They also talk to scouts throughout the year..

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It hasn't all worked itself out. Next year it will have worked its way out. A few years ago it was an issue also.
Top tier kids are not sticking around due to the Covid year.

Now, I will say NIL is a bigger factor. If a mid round marginal prospect is getting $50K-$100K to stay in school at a big program, he likley stays instead of risking being a PS guy who may not be ready to make a roster. Stay in school, collect money while further developing.

That issue is NOT going away.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Look at it this way, in normal times Fiske only stays in school fir 4 yrs. Now would he be as good had he come out as a 4 yr player or now a 5 yr player?

We got a better, more mature prospect because of the Covid rules. That ends next yr or so. No more 5 or even 6 yr guys, who were already redshirted, coming into the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Look at it this way, in normal times Fiske only stays in school fir 4 yrs. Now would he be as good had he come out as a 4 yr player or now a 5 yr player?

We got a better, more mature prospect because of the Covid rules. That ends next yr or so. No more 5 or even 6 yr guys, who were already redshirted, coming into the draft.
In general, being older is not considered a good trait. It’s actually a negative.

If you have a 21 year old dominating 19-24 year olds it is much more impressive than a 24 year old dominating 19-23 year olds. What percentage of the players that the 24 year old was dominating were only 20? A lot of the best players play two to three years and go to the NFL. Most of what stays on a college team past 21 isn’t going to be a top talent unless they were late bloomers

That’s one of the problems with evaluating older more mature players. Playing five years as a QB is a huge advantage to playing two or three. Being 24 playing against 21 year olds is a big advantage especially if a player has bed. Starting since he was 20.

So most teams look at it as a negative. The Rams turn it into a strength for two reasons. One, reason is that older players are more mature and a team is more likely to know what it is getting, when it comes to maturity and character.

The second reason is that the older player will be 28-29 when they reach their second contracts, which is often their peak. So if the Rams can’t fit their new contract under the cap, by letting them go in free agency, they will likely get bigger contracts which means higher comp picks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In general, being older is not considered a good trait. It’s actually a negative.

If you have a 21 year old dominating 19-24 year olds it is much more impressive than a 24 year old dominating 19-23 year olds. What percentage of the players that the 24 year old was dominating were only 20? A lot of the best players play two to three years and go to the NFL. Most of what stays on a college team past 21 isn’t going to be a top talent unless they were late bloomers

That’s one of the problems with evaluating older more mature players. Playing five years as a QB is a huge advantage to playing two or three. Being 24 playing against 21 year olds is a big advantage especially if a player has bed. Starting since he was 20.

So most teams look at it as a negative. The Rams turn it into a strength for two reasons. One, reason is that older players are more mature and a team is more likely to know what it is getting, when it comes to maturity and character.

The second reason is that the older player will be 28-29 when they reach their second contracts, which is often their peak. So if the Rams can’t fit their new contract under the cap, by letting them go in free agency, they will likely get bigger contracts which means higher comp picks.
If that stud 21 yr old is stayng in just because of Covid, as you believe, then he will be better when he comes out a yr later.

If he isn't staying because of Covid, then the whole premise is wrong then because your saying those kids are coming out anyway.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yes it ends next year. I said that.

But there were also lots of older players that benefitted from being more dominant as an older player. I don’t think this is the case with Fiske because he moved up to the highest level of competition and still was dominant. Plus he’s a DT. He is a safer bet to succeeed than at other positions

But it still remains that players being older is seen as a negative overall.

I do agree with the NIL money part but that’s not what we were talking about.

Keep in mind that this is just about depth. We are talking about maybe rounds 4-7 plus ufas, which Roseman said was not good this year. It stands to reason that if the UFA class is weak then the rounds before it would also be weak.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes it ends next year. I said that.

But there were also lots of older players that benefitted from being more dominant as an older player. I don’t think this is the case with Fiske because he moved up to the highest level of competition and still was dominant. Plus he’s a DT. He is a safer bet to succeeed than at other positions

But it still remains that players being older is seen as a negative overall.

I do agree with the NIL money part but that’s not what we were talking about.

Keep in mind that this is just about depth. We are talking about maybe rounds 4-7 plus ufas, which Roseman said was not good this year. It stands to reason that if the UFA class is weak then the rounds before it would also be weak.
Roseman was trying to explain why he bailed out of so many picks for picks next yr. He didnt want to look dumb next yr when he has only 3 or 4 total picks in next yrs draft.

Look it up. They traded away a lot of next yrs picks, they are not getting any comp picks, and they are likley to get docked a pick or two for tampering. He had to get picks next yr since they had 10 going into this draft.

His story served a purpose.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Roseman was trying to explain why he bailed out of so many picks for picks next yr. He didnt want to look dumb next yr when he has only 3 or 4 total picks in next yrs draft.

Look it up. They traded away a lot of next yrs picks, they are not getting any comp picks, and they are likley to get docked a pick or two for tampering. He had to get picks next yr since they had 10 going into this draft.

His story served a purpose.
Except this is not the only instance of people saying that this was not a deep draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Except this is not the only instance of people saying that this was not a deep draft.
Not saying that it was, just saying the Covid excuse is just that...an excuse.

Bigger issue will remain and that's NIL.

dang

Legend
It appears to have been deep for certain positions but it’s certainly the most experienced group in forever. A fair amount of guys being 23-25 years old.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Shallow for edges, and we grabbed 2 of them, which means we got value out of our picks, while also addressing need. Love this draft.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Shallow for edges, and we grabbed 2 of them, which means we got value out of our picks, while also addressing need. Love this draft.
Extremely shallow for edges after Verse. So if Bennet hits, that will be pretty amazing cause the perceived value is guys after the top 3 were gonna be jags.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not saying that it was, just saying the Covid excuse is just that...an excuse.

Bigger issue will remain and that's NIL.
Maybe but that has to eventually even out. Then it will get back to the norm of some drafts being deep and others being very shallow. In some years even round 1 ends up not having many stars come out of it.