The Big 5 !!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jamon has been getting better. Our offense will go as far as our big uglies will take us.

It would be nice to see Gurley get a 100 plus yard game. I think that will happen.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
For me it's the big one.

Gurley

He has to take pressure off Goff and the passing game .. he has to give the passing game some running room
And the biggest key to making this happen would be the offensive
line.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If the left side stays healthy I feel strongly everything will be okay
I don't see anywhere on the offensive line that doesn't need to stay "okay".

By all the changes they are making on the bottom of the roster and all the guys they released and the guys they are bringing in?

I fear we are paper-thin on the O line and one injury away from putting in a guy with third string abilities that doesn't really know the full offense.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am thrilled and scared inre Whitworth. He is so good and very old. As you say, a great LT is so important for Goff...WE HAVE to hit in the draft for Whits replacement. I want Whit to train his replacement....
People age differently.
This is just not wishful thinking that I think Whitworth is physically, in football years, about 30.

Most 35 year old tackles don't move as well as he does.
That said, we need to bring in a tackle anyway.

They have two options really;

Draft a more "sure thing" in the first round. (think a LewanTaylor or Jake Matthews rather than a Greg Robinson)

Draft someone you think you can coach up in the second round using him at right tackle or back up/swing and then try to insert him in as the left tackle in 2019.

An above-average left tackle is mandatory for a good offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
People age differently.
This is just not wishful thinking that I think Whitworth is physically, in football years, about 30.

Draft a more "sure thing" in the first round. (think a LewanTaylor or Jake Matthews rather than a Greg Robinson)

Draft someone you think you can coach up in the second round using him at right tackle or back up/swing and then try to insert him in as the left tackle in 2019.

I don't know how good
People age differently.

I think Darell Williams is still young & has some good upside. LT seems to be his best position.

The Rams have there Center of the center right now.

-- I have to lol at everyone that thinks The Big 5 are a weakness. -Yes Sullivan went down , but his leadership is hug. As you look at the post above on AGE .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought Brown would be a road grader, meh, and he can't pass block worth crap. DCs are moving their best guys all over the board more than ever. Why bother with their shutdown OLT when your best DE can beat Havenstein at will. HIS FEET ARE TOO SLOW. Nothing's changed since he was drafted other than he's now a marked man.

So far from the truth. Dallas will be another test though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As we go on this group will continue to get better. I've been a Ram fan for a long time , & I know I'm not the best poster. I have not ever recall starting a post so I'm taking a little pride in the fact before the season started I'd post about the offensive line. The reason for the post is only to say I bought into the trust of the Kromers !!!

What's his name 32 ? Posted way back about the Kromers even before McVay was hired. Then MCVay hired the Kromers after all the drama about the beach Incident.

All I have to say is I have followed Rhe Rams & the NFL draft for years. I bought into the structure of the process. I saw that they did not want any of the offensive lineman in the draft.

As a draft guru from way back , the guy I really liked was cook from FSU. I heard all the negative feed back. I knew though that The Rams were not going to go that direction. Snead said there was only one ball. I still question that call. I know Snead followed McVays direction in drafting Everett to fit his offense. Plus I know Snead played his card well in drafting John Johnson with a extra pick.

Anyway I glad Kromer found a true Center in Austin. If you look at how he brought in like 4 centers he was scrolling the market. They trusted Austin & it paid off. I know he had trouble with his long snap at the start of the preseason.

The truth is The Rams are in a good place & will keep improving!!!!

Way back to the old coaching staffs, they said it all starts up front. It goes all the way back to when Mad Mike let WRner get hurt & all his concussion. His hand & the sacks & then Linehan trusting JZ in building around Bulger with no offensive line. Then again injuries played a part & if The Rams were able to sign Matt Birks as there Center things would have been ok.

Yes as posted up too that Whitworth is worth all his $$$$ . A true class act & veteran leader.

Listening to his family story & his expiration from his best friend speaks volumes

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And the biggest key to making this happen would be the offensive
line.

Still have to lol !!

The first thing The Rams do against Dallas is run for 15 on that right side !!

Will see how Bug Rob Hav does against the sack Master as he calls himself.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Funny how no one wants to mention how (wrong) good the offensive line is playing !!

The Rams offense is in the top (BIG) 5 !!

Where are all the name Sayers ??

Who is Jamon Brown ?? I guess when no one knows your name(or can't remember it) , then your doing your job right !

Will just keep saying it all year .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree about pass protection, but run blocking is 40% of the game.

There was a illegal motion called on Jamon Brown.

The thing about The Rams is they do not really have another RB than Todd Gurley. That said he still has rushed for 85 yards on the road with the 4th qrt to go.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great Oline play today. There are always going to be some missed blocks but they came to play.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The amount of time these fellas are giving Goff to throw is immense and who doesn't love seeing the likes of Jamon Brown getting into the secondary to lead block.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Further celebrating the OLine especially this nice production from the right side.

9Ysi9X3ZJa2ajqdxXzPnSDvy_C_9D2dEEG61_PkdIzE.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great Oline play today. There are always going to be some missed blocks but they came to play.

The Lawerance (sack) fumble was just a good play. Goff takes deep drops. He did a good job of getting his hand on the ball. Big Rob Hav pushed him away from the QB. Good thing is he came back & picked up the loose ball. If Dallas gets the ball there I think The Rams would have been in big trouble.

Gurley had his best day running. The offensive line is really coming together. Good to see John Sullivan back starting.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Further celebrating the OLine especially this nice production from the right side.

9Ysi9X3ZJa2ajqdxXzPnSDvy_C_9D2dEEG61_PkdIzE.png

It's good to see Brown did well on the one run. Looks like Gurley Is trying to get the edge more.

Back to back 100 yard games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The amount of time these fellas are giving Goff to throw is immense and who doesn't love seeing the likes of Jamon Brown getting into the secondary to lead block.

The things I like about most about Jamon Brown is he does not normally jump(false starts) even though he did have one Sunday.
The other thing I like is the way when he gets back in pass protection if he doesn't have a pass rusher he always likes to help out. Just real cool to see .

He needs to bulk up though. I like the team work though & it is a solid group.
I think McVay & Kromer do an excellent job putting them in positive position to succeed.
Whitworth really does an excellent contain the edge rush. Saffold is a mister in weight room. He is real consistent at LG.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
--Jamon Brown is left handed. Before most snaps he looks back over his left shoulder for the play call from his RG position. He also right before the snap puts his left hand over the line of scrimmage with punch with left hand out.

Anyone else notice that ?

TexasRam

Legend
--Jamon Brown is left handed. Before most snaps he looks back over his left shoulder for the play call from his RG position. He also right before the snap puts his left hand over the line of scrimmage with punch with left hand out.

Anyone else notice that ?

Yea I am thinking that is because of crowd noise. Goff first does a arm pump and then Brown seeing it pumps so the center knows Goff is ready. Easier this way then having the center look under his legs for the signal from Goff.

Regarding the line. They are playing some great ball. Brown gave up a few pressures in this game but Goff is doing a fantastic job of feeling it and getting the ball out.

Havenstein had an Epic game vs The Sack Master. My favorite play is the 3rd and 9 to Woods in the 4th quarter deep at around our 10 yard line. A huge conversion was needed there. Goff throws a perfect pin point ball there. One that Prescott could not make to Dez on two separate occasions in this game. The Awesome part is this throw required time and Mcvay had The RB Malcom Brown chip Lawrence then Havenstein took him to the ground and layed on him. The rest of the line stonewalled their guy and Brown also pancaked his guy to the ground. Goff had all day and a clear throwing lane.

I can see future games where, if the line stays healthy Goff attacks even deeper on plays like this.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
First run of the game The Rams run toward there weakness as a lot of fans thought. Brown & Big Rob switch blocks & open up a big hole(maze) for Gurley run for 10.

2nd play of 2nd series they run towards the right. Sullivan secures the NT. Saffold pulls, Jamon Brown runs 7 yards down field & Blocks the MLB . Gurley gets 9 on 2nd & 10.

The Big 5 is solid.

Then can't get 1st down, so not sure. Why have Tavon in there with Gurley though ?