The ass covering has started

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldnotdead

Legend

Yes a lot of the problems were on offense. Goff and both his primary receivers were totally out of sync. But no mention of Staley's prevent defense all game long. No mention of continuing problems tackling (a clear defensive coaching issue).

C'mon Man! Yes there were problems but the most serious lead back to McVay and Staley. McVay kept that kid kicker who has missed 5 kicks in 6 games. He released Greg for less reason. BTW I was all for releasing Greg it was the right thing to do. What about Staley's insane prevent defense all game long? Why did Staley leave the flats and short zone wide open all game long allowing a struggling QB to simply dump off before the d-line could get pressure? Again another coaching issue.

McVay decides to play Kiser who IMO can't possibly be 100% while benching Reeder who was coming off his best game. They made lame excuses about moving Ramsey to SCB which made no sense at all if you know football. If McVay doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done then Snead needs to intervene. Replace the kicker and tell Staley to can his insane soft zone. Phillips's issue was not playing and developing his young talent. Staley's issues are even worse. His scheme is childish so much so a gimpy inaccurate QB ripped it apart. Sean must make everyone accountable, from himself and his coaches down to the players. His game plan especially in his early run attack made no sense. He went away from things that were working to things that didn't work. Instead of building upon the strength showed the previous weeks and again late in the game, he out tricked himself. Henderson was hot moving the team onto the goal line. But instead of playing to that strength, he went away from it.

Sloppy play by the o-line, the WRs, and his QB just coincidence that everyone was having a bad day? Sorry, I don't accept it. All four of his most reliable offensive players having a bad day simultaneously is reflective upon McVay and O'Connell. These are things that are reflective of poor coaching and complacent preparation. IMO all the coaches got complacent and it was reflected in the players being sloppy. But the biggest issue yet one he is totally silent upon is that Staley's is clearly not working. Staley is not playing to the strengths of the players he has that much is very clear.

Everyone must be accountable, especially underperforming coaches. Last year Kromer was the problem on the o-line. The unit's turnaround with the exact same personnel is solely due to O'Connell. Yet he continues to keep Kromer? Now we are seeing the same thing with the defense and he has nothing but praise for the DC? Has he learned nothing? Turning the team around starts at the top, not the bottom. These are things that any good businessman learns very early. He was right in removing Phillips, but now he must see that his rookie DC experiment isn't working. He needs to tell his buddy to change the scheme or to walk. When the fans can see the problem why can't McVay? He needs to remove his bro blinders so he can actually see the reality staring at his face.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Are you sure you're a Rams fan? No offense here, but you are probably the most negative poster I've seen on this board in all my years. Lol

Everyone is free to post whatever they want within the rules, so to each his own.

Just remember, we aren't Philly fans.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bro, please, please, please stop. I don't want to stop looking at everything you post, but it's getting to that point.

Two things:

First, in today's NFL, if you "hold" a team to 24 points, it should be enough to win - especially when your HC is an offensive genius

Second, the defense completely shut them down in the 2nd half. Niners drives in the 2nd half:

3 plays -1 yard, punt

3 plays 7 yards, punt

4 plays 23 yards, punt

7 plays 28 yards, punt

7 plays 20 yards, FG

6 plays 22 yards, end of game

So in the 2nd half, that's a total of 30 plays for 99 yards 4 punts and 1 FG (and the FG drive they only gained 20 yards)

For the game, we held them to 3.3 yards per carry, 5.6 yards per play (we had 5.5) and they were only 5/13 on third down, good for 38%, which is pretty good

Yes, the first half was not good - but Shanahan is a brilliant offensive mind and the Niners season was on the line. Overall our defense ended up playing well.

The problem with blindly hating a player or coach is that it's tough to admit you're wrong. So far Staley is doing a great job.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yes a lot of the problems were on offense. Goff and both his primary receivers were totally out of sync. But no mention of Staley's prevent defense all game long. No mention of continuing problems tackling (a clear defensive coaching issue).

C'mon Man! Yes there were problems but the most serious lead back to McVay and Staley. McVay kept that kid kicker who has missed 5 kicks in 6 games. He released Greg for less reason. BTW I was all for releasing Greg it was the right thing to do. What about Staley's insane prevent defense all game long? Why did Staley leave the flats and short zone wide open all game long allowing a struggling QB to simply dump off before the d-line could get pressure? Again another coaching issue.

McVay decides to play Kiser who IMO can't possibly be 100% while benching Reeder who was coming off his best game. They made lame excuses about moving Ramsey to SCB which made no sense at all if you know football. If McVay doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done then Snead needs to intervene. Replace the kicker and tell Staley to can his insane soft zone. Phillips's issue was not playing and developing his young talent. Staley's issues are even worse. His scheme is childish so much so a gimpy inaccurate QB ripped it apart. Sean must make everyone accountable, from himself and his coaches down to the players. His game plan especially in his early run attack made no sense. He went away from things that were working to things that didn't work. Instead of building upon the strength showed the previous weeks and again late in the game, he out tricked himself. Henderson was hot moving the team onto the goal line. But instead of playing to that strength, he went away from it.

Sloppy play by the o-line, the WRs, and his QB just coincidence that everyone was having a bad day? Sorry, I don't accept it. All four of his most reliable offensive players having a bad day simultaneously is reflective upon McVay and O'Connell. These are things that are reflective of poor coaching and complacent preparation. IMO all the coaches got complacent and it was reflected in the players being sloppy. But the biggest issue yet one he is totally silent upon is that Staley's is clearly not working. Staley is not playing to the strengths of the players he has that much is very clear.

Everyone must be accountable, especially underperforming coaches. Last year Kromer was the problem on the o-line. The unit's turnaround with the exact same personnel is solely due to O'Connell. Yet he continues to keep Kromer? Now we are seeing the same thing with the defense and he has nothing but praise for the DC? Has he learned nothing? Turning the team around starts at the top, not the bottom. These are things that any good businessman learns very early. He was right in removing Phillips, but now he must see that his rookie DC experiment isn't working. He needs to tell his buddy to change the scheme or to walk. When the fans can see the problem why can't McVay? He needs to remove his bro blinders so he can actually see the reality staring at his face.

I don’t think firing Staley is the answer but I also don’t understand why Staley is married to this soft zone scheme to start every game. Is he trying to cover up some of the players deficiencies?

I agree that a team wide let down does fall on the coaches, as does tackling to some degree. But the tackling could also fall on Snead. Maybe that is an overlooked deficiency that has allowed some of his later round contributors to slide.

I wish Staley would employ his second half defense all game long. He found out again that he cannot rely on Goff and the rest of the offense coming out on fire every game and giving him a lead.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Last night was one of those games where it’s hard to point the finger at any one part of the team or game plan.

Did we get off to a slow start? Absolutely, on both sides of the ball. Was the offense off damn near all game? Yep. Did the defense get carved up all first half? Yep. But we were still in it at the end of the game.

This was a complete team loss, plain and simple. We can all agree that there are a bunch of things that need shoring up but it’s only our second loss of the season and we don’t know what the future holds. All we can do is be confident that McVay can right the ship after that embarrassment.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
giphy.gif

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you sure you're a Rams fan? No offense here, but you are probably the most negative poster I've seen on this board in all my years. Lol

Everyone is free to post whatever they want within the rules, so to each his own.

Just remember, we aren't Philly fans.

Being a true fan doesn't mean to be slavishly devoted to everything. It doesn't mean to close your eyes to what is happening. You say I'm the most negative, but you ignore the multiple times I praised the promise of this team. How often I was saying how good this team can be. I was completely right about the 0-line last year. That it was coaching not the personnel. I said given a good scheme this o-line would be fine and it has been ever since O'Connell began to run the offense. All with the exact same personnel.

It's because I love this team that when I see stupidity flushing this team's potential down a stupid drain I get angry. If I didn't care I'd be "oh well" about it. I don't know about others but I got sick at what was going on last Sunday night. I was sick that my team was playing like a high school team on national TV. IMO any real fan would have been screaming at their TV just like I was.

When I'm negative at least I point out solutions and what I see as the root of the problem. This team has championship caliber talent on it. Does that sound like a Philly fan? I've been saying this before the season started and I say it now. But the team is being squandered by bad coaching decisions from keeping a not ready for prime time kicker to employing a totally insane prevent defense all game. Even Collingsworth whom I don't especially like kept saying "soft zone, soft zone" all night like he couldn't believe it either but couldn't say it over the air. Even teams that play zone will at least play it aggressively so it works.

I'm not the only one saying this stuff now but the difference is I've been saying it for weeks and now it's so bad everyone can see it.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Last year Kromer was the problem on the o-line. The unit's turnaround with the exact same personnel is solely due to O'Connell.

You keep saying "with the exact same personnel," so I guess you mean the entire position group? Because the starting 5 is different.

Also, why couldn't it be inexperience, and/or the fact Blythe, Whit, and Hav were playing injured last year?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I'm negative at least I point out solutions and what I see as the root of the problem.
Solutions?
Man, if only the Rams would read your posts then!
The defense is 4th in the league in points scored against, they're doing something right. You've been not only complaining about Staley all season, you've actually said he should be fired.
#4 in the league!
Man, last night sucked, but cmon man

MOD EDIT: Vent Thread Discussion. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.