The Aftermath: A Post-Combine Memento Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So, after all of the events of the Combine (and certain events involving a certain Floridian team), I decided to make yet another mock draft to keep up with the times. So...let's do this, shall we? (As a note, I'm still getting used to my new computer, so analysis of the picks will not be in this mock. I will explain why I made them if asked, though.)

Cut

Cortland Finnegan, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, Jermelle Cudjo, Mike Person.

No surprises here.

Resign

Tim Barnes.

Rodger Saffold leaves for a shot at a left tackle job. Barnes provides depth, so we resign him to a fair contract.

Trades

Chris Givens to the Cleveland Browns for #71.

Cleveland requires a number two receiver to pair with Gordon and Cameron, and we get a third round pick for an underachieving receiver. Fair value.

#2 overall pick: TRADED to the Miami Dolphins for Dion Jordan, #19 overall pick, #81 overall, and a 2015 second round pick.

If Dion Jordan's name really is on the trading block (and for the purposes of this mock, let's say he is), we should make a strong effort to obtain him. People with his athleticism and pass-rushing prowess don't grow on trees, and giving Gregg Williams another toy to play with is never a bad idea. Just imagine a linebacking core with Laurinaitis, Ogletree, and Jordan. Scary, huh?

#13: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.

#19: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State.

#44: Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois.

#71: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood.

#75: Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State.

#81: Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman.

#106: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fl.)

#141: Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming

#172: Russell Bodine, OG, North Carolina.

#203: L'Damian Washington, WR, Missouri.

#218: Marcus Lucas, WR, Missouri.

Thoughts, critiques, questions, all are welcome.

jjab360

Legend
So did we sign somebody in Free Agency, or are we seriously going to head into next season with our O-line and WR corps in complete shambles?

Seriously, why are we letting Saffold and Givens go without finding replacements, and why are we trading out of blue chip range for a linebacker who is a terrible scheme fit for us? I like Donald and Gilbert and Ward are good value for where you drafted them, and no offense, but outside of that nothing in this mock really makes sense to me.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Sorry Mem, don't like the trade of the #2 pick and am concerned at what we would have on the OL in general but OT specifically. What if Long is not ready to start the season? That is a legitimate concern IMO. Also think it's too early to give up on Givens. I know he slumped last year but talk was he was playing through an injury for much of the year and was without a legit QB for the last 9 games.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
#13: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh. #19: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State. #44: Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois. #71: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood.

I have no problem with any of these first 4 picks - all good value where you are getting them - but the offense needs a little love, especially after letting Saffold walk and trading Givens away. Our defense would look pretty good though ....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a big fan, Memento. I don't think a 3rd for Givens is happening. Trading down that far from Jordan is meh to me. And I'm not a Justin Gilbert fan. Plus, I'd be disappointed if we let Saffold walk and didn't address the OL in the first 3 rounds with a pro ready player. We'd be in big trouble.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I hope the rams plan on redshirting Bradford because any QB playing with that OL will get killed.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like it. Would prefer someone at #81 to be able to play tackle as well if needed. Also would have liked to have seen an LB picked up at some point, but that could be picked up in FA if needed for cheap. Those are just personal preferences though. Still like it, lots of good picks that would help take the team to the next level.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ResignTim Barnes.
3rd#81: Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman.
4th#106: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fl.)
6th#172: Russell Bodine, OG, North Carolina.
I don't know Memento Sam Bradford will have a shorter season in 2014 than he did in 2013 with the 2014 OL make up.... in your mock you use the first five acquired draft picks on non OL players. What Ram unit has more open starting post more injuries and more question than the offensive line...its a good thing we don't have a pocket passer with an long injury history the last five seasons playing QB then.

Who is the projected starting ORG?
Who will start TC & Pre season & early regular season games @ OLT? Henderson has always played right side?
Who is the projected starting OLG?
Who will be the 3rd OG in relief?
Who will be the important Swing OT?

So we could open up the season with 3rd, 4th & 6th round rookies starting @ three OL positions OLT/OLG & OTG? Rule usually you try to keep the rookie starters down to bare minimum and if you need starters in the OL you better make them high first or second day talent not the latter.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it. Would prefer someone at #81 to be able to play tackle as well if needed. Also would have liked to have seen an LB picked up at some point, but that could be picked up in FA if needed for cheap. Those are just personal preferences though. Still like it, lots of good picks that would help take the team to the next level.

Dion Jordan is said linebacker, just to let you know. No way I'd trade down that far from #2 just for a first, a third, and a future second. I believe that Jordan has All-Pro potential, and you could use his skillset in a variety of different ways, be it getting to the quarterback or dropping back into coverage to cover tight ends. As for tackle, Dozier and Henderson both have experience, and Boudreau would absolutely love to work with them, as well as Bodine (who reminds me of a shorter Harvey Dahl).

So did we sign somebody in Free Agency, or are we seriously going to head into next season with our O-line and WR corps in complete shambles?

Seriously, why are we letting Saffold and Givens go without finding replacements, and why are we trading out of blue chip range for a linebacker who is a terrible scheme fit for us? I like Donald and Gilbert and Ward are good value for where you drafted them, and no offense, but outside of that nothing in this mock really makes sense to me.

The two wide receivers in the seventh round are replacements for both Givens and Pettis (after the latter's contract runs out next year). Washington is a legitimate tall deep threat who is a major sleeper pick in this draft. Lucas is a big possession receiver who has underrated speed. Jordan actually fits this scheme very well; he'd play the strongside role, which would be a tremendous help in a division that features two teams that are power-running offenses.

Not a big fan, Memento. I don't think a 3rd for Givens is happening. Trading down that far from Jordan is meh to me. And I'm not a Justin Gilbert fan. Plus, I'd be disappointed if we let Saffold walk and didn't address the OL in the first 3 rounds with a pro ready player. We'd be in big trouble.

A third for Givens is fair value for both sides. It probably won't happen, true, but that's what I'd do. Gilbert is a talented ball-hawking cornerback who slowed or shut down some very good receivers. Not sure what else he could've done. I did address the OL in the third round with Dozier, who is more than ready to play left guard in the pros.

I don't know Memento Sam Bradford will have a shorter season in 2014 than he did in 2013 with the 2014 OL make up.... in your mock you use the first five acquired draft picks on non OL players. What Ram unit has more open starting post more injuries and more question than the offensive line...its a good thing we don't have a pocket passer with an long injury history the last five seasons playing QB then.

Who is the projected starting ORG?
Who will start TC & Pre season & early regular season games @ OLT? Henderson has always played right side?
Who is the projected starting OLG?
Who will be the 3rd OG in relief?
Who will be the important Swing OT?

So we could open up the season with 3rd, 4th & 6th round rookies starting @ three OL positions OLT/OLG & OTG? Rule usually you try to keep the rookie starters down to bare minimum and if you need starters in the OL you better make them high first or second day talent not the latter.

Projected starting RG is Bodine. Don't let the low draft status fool you; he's argaubly one of the more talented guards in this class.
Projected starting LG is Dozier. Very athletic former left tackle.
Swing OT is Henderson. In this mock, I'm assuming that Jake Long is healthy enough to start the 2014 season. Optimistic, yes, but not entirely impossible.

jjab360

Legend
So we replace two progressing veterans at WR with 7th round rookies and have two late round picks start at OG as rookies. And where's the depth at that position?

Sorry, mem, just sounds like a recipe for failure to me..