The 3rd Down Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
The Rams have an unusual perhaps weird way of coordinating their offense. Not sure how Boras and his cohort will work together to liven up the corpse that is the Ram offense? To be sure Gurley will get 20 rushes per game and the Rams will fling it through the air at the same rate. The final 4 games of 2016 in which Case went 3-1 as the starter featured that balanced run/pass ratio.

The self-defeating problem for the Rams last season was a league-worst 3rd down conversion percentage. The OCs need to change that for the Rams to make their Gurley-centric QB-less system work well enough for the Rams to post their first winning record in a decade.

Even if we pick up a TE or a rookie WR to help, the strategy of Fisher is etched in stone: ride Gurley from start to finish and hope he breaks off a couple big plays in the process. Gurley had a ton of no or minimal gain rushing attempts that usually set up difficult, especially for the Rams, 3rd and longs.

So what will they come up with? Fisher keeps telling us the key to improving the offense is getting Tavon Austin more involved even though the entire NFL has gotten te memo about keeping a vigilant eye on the dazzling mighy might Tavon. Fisher brags about the last place offense all the time and is quick to remind everyone we have Gurley and Austin. No need to get a stud QB, we have Tavon and Gurley.

He also recently boasts about the o-line and pats himself on the back for drafting several o-lineman in one draft to improve that unit. What he fails to mention is that the o-line still has a lot of room for improvement.

It will be interesting to see what the "new" OC team can come up with to deal with the 3rd down problem. With Cook gone the situation ain't going to be much easier even though I have a lot of confidence in Kendricks.

What can the Rams do in 2016 to keep moving the chains on 3rd down? If the Rams stick solely with Gurley rushes and Tavon trick plays another losing season seems likely as drives will stall with many 3 and outs like last season putting the defense under excessive pressure to carry the team.

I would like the Rams to throw more on first down and be much more aggressive with play-action passing. In addition, the backs should be used extensively in the passing game. Will be intersting to see what the THINKERS come up with to keep the Ram offense on the field and to light up the scoreboard more than once or twice a game.

How can the Rams solve this huuuuuuggggggeee problem?

Thanks for your ideas!

Go Rams!!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is a combination of things that have caused third down troubles.

1. Lack of legitimate weapons. A top WR should help with that.
2. Still developing Oline
3. Pedestrian passing schemes
4. And in some cases better QB play.

The draft may help with 1
Time and health should help with 2
Groh should help with 3
And who knows if 4 is improved or not

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Last year, the 3rd Down problem was the bastard child of the 1st and 2nd down problems -- the Rams had WAY too many situations of 3rd and 6+, and 3rd-and-manageable (4 yards or less) hardly ever presented itself. They continued to put themselves in these holes of 3rd and long -- tough battle to win.

I tried looking for the stat of the average yards-to-go on 3rd Down for the Rams. Couldn't find it -- but I'd wager they had one of the worst yards-to-go average in the league. If anyone has those numbers, please share -- I'd love to see them.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
It seems to me that their first play of the game was often a pass play, usually to Britt. Most were complete for over 20 yards. The ones that weren't was because of execution; bad pass or drop, but the receiver was open. The

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It is a talent issue at QB and WR primarily. What makes things worse is we don't know for sure if Boras is the real deal at OC because of that lack of talent, but outside of that whiner game he did pretty good taking the reins from Cigs I think so I have hopes for him.

The answer for this year's offense is WR and TE receiving talent. They need to load it badly. The other issue, however, is QB and that position requires time for development. Since some of these guys should adjust quicker that leads me to believe the Rams would try to get one of them, but it comes down to how much they believe in Keenum being able to win games while holding the job for the rook.

So I think Fish/Snead's ideal draft, i.e. what they'd like to see is something along the lines of:

1. Lynch.
2. WR/TE.
2. Defender for depth, probably CB.
3. WR/TE.
4. WR/TE.
6. WR/TE/QB/C etc.

Lynch falling to 15 allows them to load a high talent QB for the future and still use the strengths of the draft in their favor with some WRs and TEs in rounds 2-4 where they have good value.

Now if they are more concerned with Keenum than they are letting on? Then they probably move up for Goff. Or trade down and then reach in round 1 or 2 for a QB who they know should be ready quicker. But as much sense as that makes, remember that Snead and Fish are all about upside, which I think means the above is their kind of preference.

My disclaimer of course is I can never predict those two, so prepare yourself for a DT, CB, or DE in round 1.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think we should bring Welker back, he was running routes great and getting open. We just need more consistent QB play.

Last edited:

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
I think we should bring Welker back, he was running routes great and getting open. We just need more consistent QB play.
With an entire off season, they could get it together. Keenum missed him a few times, but the extra work should cure that. Plus it would help Tavon

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Mannion may be the answer at QB I'm not convinced Lynch is any better than him and would be a waste of a 1st round pick.

A full off season with the new O staff and a couple of high round receiving threats to help loosen up the defense and they will have a chance to get in the 24 ppg range. If the defense can continue to play well and stay heathy that will be plenty to get in range for double digit wins.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It seems to me that their first play of the game was often a pass play, usually to Britt. Most were complete for over 20 yards. The ones that weren't was because of execution; bad pass or drop, but the receiver was open. The
At one point near the end of the season we had the highest average yardage on first downs by quite a bit. I realize there are factors but it still surprised the crap out of me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Last year, the 3rd Down problem was the bastard child of the 1st and 2nd down problems -- the Rams had WAY too many situations of 3rd and 6+, and 3rd-and-manageable (4 yards or less) hardly ever presented itself. They continued to put themselves in these holes of 3rd and long -- tough battle to win.

I tried looking for the stat of the average yards-to-go on 3rd Down for the Rams. Couldn't find it -- but I'd wager they had one of the worst yards-to-go average in the league. If anyone has those numbers, please share -- I'd love to see them.
According to *THIS*, the Rams led the league in yards gained on first down.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Rams averaged 7.55 yards per play on first downs - leading the league. Second down is likely not very pretty - nor is penalties on first down.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So I think Fish/Snead's ideal draft, i.e. what they'd like to see is something along the lines of:

1. Lynch.
2. WR/TE.
2. Defender for depth, probably CB.
3. WR/TE.
4. WR/TE.
6. WR/TE/QB/C etc.
I would pop in some LB and DE depth myself!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I realize there are factors

According to *THIS*, the Rams led the league in yards gained on first down.
Hmmm, I wonder why????? What could be pulling all the db's attention up, and off the receivers??????
o_O:thinking:
bal-ravens-high-on-praise-for-todd-gurley-but-up-for-sundays-challenge-20151121
:shades::shades::heh::cheers::banana: