Tebow controversy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Esiason on Tebow: He's OK for my daughter, not for my team
By Craig Ellenport NFL.com
When Tim Tebow was taken in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, Boomer Esiason couldn't believe it.

"Maybe Josh McDaniels saw something in him that none of us saw," the CBS Sports analyst and former NFL quarterback thought.

Kirwan's camp observations
Pat Kirwan, home from his tour of NFL training camps, offered his thoughts on five things that stood out -- and five things that concerned him. On which side did
Tim Tebow land? More ... Less than a year later, McDaniels was out as the Denver Broncos' coach, and Esiason's thoughts seem to be validated: "McDaniels must have been the only one who saw it."

Esiason was particularly critical of Tebow during a CBS press event Tuesday. As reported in USA Today, Esiason plainly stated that Tebow isn't an NFL quarterback.

"He can't play. He can't throw," Esiason said.

Esiason didn't hesitate to elaborate on his comments Wednesday afternoon in an interview with NFL.com.

"The kid is a tremendous character kid," Esiason said. "If he said he wanted to marry my daughter, I'd be happy as hell, because he's that kind of person. But I wouldn't want him to be my first-round draft choice starting quarterback, which he's not capable of being right now.

"If he was drafted in the fifth round, we wouldn't be talking about this. But the fact he was drafted so high ... it's one of the reasons in my opinion Josh McDaniels was fired."

Esiason said he's rooting for Tebow and welcomes the opportunity to shower the former Heisman Trophy winner with positive commentary were he to turn things around. For now, however, he has no qualms about the criticism.

"I think what I said was accurate, and I'll stand by it," Esiason said. "I'm not backing away from it or apologizing for it. It's unfortunate he got drafted so high because a great deal of scrutiny and criticism comes with that."

Esiason went so far as to compare Tebow to another first-round Southeastern Conference quarterback who came into the league with high expectations and fell fast: JaMarcus Russell. Ironically, Esiason hypothesized that if you combined Russell and Tebow, you could build a pretty good player.
"JaMarcus Russell, for different reasons (than Tebow), couldn't play in the NFL," Esiason said. "If JaMarcus Russell had the work ethic and desire to be great and to really put the effort forth and he had what Tim Tebow had in intangibles, he probably would be a winner. If Tim Tebow had the god-given ability that JaMarcus Russell had, he'd be a Hall of Fame quarterback."

While Tebow had a few moments of goodness, if not greatness, last season -- he started the last three games, throwing four TD passes and rushing for three more scores -- Esiason wasn't impressed.

"He did (show some flashes)," Esiason said. "If you leave Tebow in the game for four quarters, he'll make some plays. He could be like a Ben Roethlisberger. Ben makes a lot of plays with his feet and does a lot of spontaneous, backyard-type things. He could do that because he's the kind of athlete to do it, but he can't throw like Ben Roethlisberger. This is not your classic throwing NFL quarterback. And I'm not saying everybody has to be Tom Brady or Drew Brees. Look at Philip Rivers. He's not your classic. Bernie Kosar wasn't your classic, and neither was Dan Fouts.

"But you can see the accuracy, you can see the struggle that he has going through the progressions and understanding the offense. And it's indicative that (new Broncos coach) John Fox has said that Brady Quinn is probably outplaying him right now."

Esiason did add that Tebow's situation isn't the same that Russell faced in Oakland, but he didn't offer much hope for improvement.

"Tim Tebow is just a player that doesn't have the fundamentals, the arm and the natural ability at this point to be a franchise quarterback," Esiason said.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
How did he turn into such a polarizing figure? Bradford and Colt McCoy were in the same draft class, had similar success in college, and they were good character kids just like Tebow. They will probably never receive the same amount of over-analyzing and criticism, and I dont believe they will turn into polarizing figures like Tebow has become at this point.

Tebow going in the 1st round was very suprising. All this talk on him now is just pointless. In a few years he could be a very good QB or a backup QB, or out of the league, and all thats gonna happen is some people will come out and say they were right on him. I completely understand why McD drafted him. Id rather take a risk on Tebow instead of Orton. Orton is a solid QB, but I have no faith in him to lead my team for a critical drive in the 4th Qtr, to get blitzed on 3rd downs and make the good throws. Id take my chances with Tebow because I firmly believe he can rally his teammates and make the critical plays. Hes already shown flashes of doing that last year!

bluecoconuts

Legend
JdashSTL said:
How did he turn into such a polarizing figure? Bradford and Colt McCoy were in the same draft class, had similar success in college, and they were good character kids just like Tebow. They will probably never receive the same amount of over-analyzing and criticism, and I dont believe they will turn into polarizing figures like Tebow has become at this point.

Tebow has always been "in your face" about his religion. McCoy was just a good ol boy that married his high school sweetheart, Bradford was religious but was private about it, and only focused on football. Tebow on the other hand was always writing bible verses on his face, trying to lead the team in prayers even if other players didn't want to, that abortion commercial, etc etc...

I watched that video of Tim Tebow before the draft working on his mechanics and training, they said that it was his dad's friends idea and they got it all set up. Which leads me to believe that Tebow has basically been whored out by his parents and parents friends, and he doesn't even know it. They try to put him on TV, they set up these events for him to show up to, they force him into the face of everyone. As a result Tebow got a huge following in college, especially from Christian fans. The problem is some non-Christian fans (and some Christian fans that thought it was just too much) got sick of it, and it would either be you love him, or you hate him... Then going into the NFL all that hype and following makes things harder because everyone is paying so much more attention to you, and judging you, it makes things harder.

Tebow is used to getting things handed to him. Which was why I laughed at his commercial when he was saying "They said I couldn't be a high school quarterback. They said I couldn't get a D1 Scholarship. They said I couldn't win a Heisman Trophy. They said I couldn't win a National Championship. They said I wouldn't be a first round pick..... Appreciate that."..... Sure they said all that, but he knew he'd get it. Then when he got to the NFL all the coaches said he wasn't talented enough, and he's dropped on the depth chart. Sure enough, he freaked out about it initially.

Tebow is a nice guy, but everything about what he does, is wrong. It's unfortunate, because he probably doesn't know it's wrong, because that's what his parents want him to do. If they have some diabolical scheme or not (I'm sure they don't) they're just exploiting him for money.

He needs to just be quiet and keep his personal life to himself, like Bradford and most other deeply religious players.

He also needs to fix his workout. I saw what he did before the draft, pushing tires, and chains, and pushing an SUV a few miles down a road. All impressive stuff, but it's all stuff a TE or LB does. He's a QB. He needs to drop 30 pounds so he has less muscle to get in the way, learn to throw from the pocket, learn to make reads, and then work on his accuracy. He'll never be a successful QB unless he starts training like one instead of a fucking line backer. I don't see Bradford, or Manning, or Brady, or Rivers, or Brees, or any of those guys pushing cars around. That's just stupid.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
Tebow is used to getting things handed to him. Which was why I laughed at his commercial when he was saying "They said I couldn't be a high school quarterback. They said I couldn't get a D1 Scholarship. They said I couldn't win a Heisman Trophy. They said I couldn't win a National Championship. They said I wouldn't be a first round pick..... Appreciate that."..... Sure they said all that, but he knew he'd get it. Then when he got to the NFL all the coaches said he wasn't talented enough, and he's dropped on the depth chart. Sure enough, he freaked out about it initially.

Tebow is a nice guy, but everything about what he does, is wrong. It's unfortunate, because he probably doesn't know it's wrong, because that's what his parents want him to do. If they have some diabolical scheme or not (I'm sure they don't) they're just exploiting him for money.
Yeah, that comercial was ridiculous. Tebow was considered the #1 QB recruit the year he came out and was heavily recruited. I don't think there were many coaches telling him he couldn't get a D1 scholarship.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Why? We might as well be talking about Tommie Frazier!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
In the very limited time that he played, he scored 5 touchdowns....5, that aint bad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
In the very limited time that he played, he scored 5 touchdowns....5, that aint bad.
Actually, he scored 11 TD's when you factor in the rushing TD's he got. That's sick for such a small sample size. In comparison, the 2009 RAMS scored 16 TD's. The whole team. Anyone who says Tebow isn't a baller, is just too focused on mechanics. There are people in the league who have a knack for finding the endzone. No matter what it takes.

I don't care how many TD's he makes, just do it without all the "pre" draft, season, game, hype. Stop pushing the "god stuff" and play football. He's just way-too-over-the-top. It's getting irritating. If his specialty is being a "cheerleader", we have those over on the sidelines.

At times I have felt a little sorry for him, but then he opens his mouth and starts his spiel, and well, you know.

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
slinginsamfan said:
I don't care how many TD's he makes, just do it without all the "pre" draft, season, game, hype. Stop pushing the "god stuff" and play football. He's just way-too-over-the-top. It's getting irritating. If his specialty is being a "cheerleader", we have those over on the sidelines.

At times I have felt a little sorry for him, but then he opens his mouth and starts his spiel, and well, you know.

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!
I know what you're saying. Not many people like Tim Tebow "the person." When you've got such a big spotlight on you, and your focus is on religion, it's going to irk a lot of people. Once Kurt Warner became famous, people got a little tired of his crediting God before even answering a question too.

I'm talking about the player though. Maybe his mechanics are a little sloppy, but he has a knack for finding the endzone. Maybe he's a little TOO intense on the sidelines, but players buy into that and it actually gets guys to elevate their play. Overall, I like that kid. I think he's a pure football player in every sense of the word.

But I like Bradford more. He's borderline brilliant and his work-ethic is second-to-one (Manning). He's a scratch golfer, can bowl, play basketball at a high level, and he's one of the smartest players I've seen and heard. I have no doubts he'll pick up this offense and execute. The only problem I see is that everyone else on the team may not be able to absorb it as quickly. We need to keep this kid upright because he IS the future of the St Louis Rams.

StlouisramsX said:
slinginsamfan said:

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!
I know what you're saying. Not many people like Tim Tebow "the person." When you've got such a big spotlight on you, and your focus is on religion, it's going to irk a lot of people. Once Kurt Warner became famous, people got a little tired of his crediting God before even answering a question too.

I'm talking about the player though. Maybe his mechanics are a little sloppy, but he has a knack for finding the endzone. Maybe he's a little TOO intense on the sidelines, but players buy into that and it actually gets guys to elevate their play. Overall, I like that kid. I think he's a pure football player in every sense of the word.

But I like Bradford more. He's borderline brilliant and his work-ethic is second-to-one (Manning). He's a scratch golfer, can bowl, play basketball at a high level, and he's one of the smartest players I've seen and heard. I have no doubts he'll pick up this offense and execute. The only problem I see is that everyone else on the team may not be able to absorb it as quickly. We need to keep this kid upright because he IS the future of the St Louis Rams.

Basically, I do agree with everyting you're saying, and I think even now, he could be useful in certain packages, but his "righteous enthusiam" just hits a nerve.

And, I know I can get a little intense when it comes to Sammy, so maybe here I should insert my sincere thanks to you and all the other guys on ROD for tolerating my "over the top" fan-crush on Sammy.

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
slinginsamfan said:
And, I know I can get a little intense when it comes to Sammy, so maybe here I should insert my sincere thanks to you and all the other guys on ROD for tolerating my "over the top" fan-crush on Sammy.

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!
Please. If you're going to be "over the top" about anything... this is the place. It's great to have you here.

joeybittick

Rookie
StlouisramsX said:
slinginsamfan said:

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!
Please. If you're going to be "over the top" about anything... this is the place. It's great to have you here.

I agree.

Plus you are "over the top" in the good way (not the negative sky is falling way seen elsewhere :sly: ). That is a plus in my mind.