Tavon Austin Traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
all debates aside...Im going to hate seeing him with a star on his helmet. And every time he makes a splashy play, I'm sure we're going to feel bit of regret and "what if"

If he goes out there and balls out with weekly ESPN highlights and accolades, that wouldn't surprise me.

FWIW...my opinion is that a 6th is equal to a pass along. We simply passed him along to another team and I think he has more value than that. Hope this doesn't hurt the locker room.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't hate on the guy, in fact I really like the guy.

I can't remember anyone being more overhyped though. Watch people as they still go on. He doesn't get enough touches. He needs to be used more in the slot, no he's too short and his routes aren't clean enough to catch the ball there, line him up outside where he can use his speed, wait he's only good there when teams cheat on safety help, give him reverses and sweeps, wait defenses are too fast to run that more than occasionally at the pro level, get him the ball in space, wait those screens to Tavon are too predictable, use him as a backup running back, no he's getting killed there, he's a good returner, no wait he still can't catch the ball consistently and when he doesn't run north and south enough to be effective there.

Then there's the argument that the quarterback wasn't good enough, the offensive line, the other receivers, the coaches, heck blame it on the linebackers.

In the end, because of the hype he was over-drafted, then overplayed, overpaid and maybe even over criticized for what he really was.

I wish him well, but I'm not worried about him flash burning the Rams with his super speed.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't know, I must have hit something in error and had two different font sizes, so I just highlighted the whole thing and changed it in entirety to be consistent :)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
TA was basically sitting the bench for us by the end of last season. I was a big fan of his at first but my fandom dimmed each year... then, after it was obvious that not even the offensive savant McVay could get much out of him either, I was convinced that he is not gonna be much more than a tiny change of pace RB.

I hope he returns punts for the cowgirls.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

After the way they treated tavon the rams shouldn't be looking for players to do them any favours anymore.

Maybe the whole restructuring was agreed upon by Tavon so that he could be traded. Or are you talking about some other thing?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I never said he was a victim. He made his money and more. But the next time they ask a player to take a pay cut he's gonna tell them to shove it.

Usually a restructure just shifts money around. It usually ends in a player getting money sooner than originally agreed on.

I was all for trading him but tavon with a broken leg is worth more that a 6rh.

Not sure how mcvay could not find a way to make him useful.
How he turns his career around and shows that explosiveness again.

No, no he isn't. If he was he would have been traded for a higher pick. There wasn't much demand for his services. Tavon was a tease. His speed wasn't enough to make him into a great NFL football player. He was great in college against lesser competition. He could get by on athleticism alone. In the NFL that doesn't work. The first giveaway was his size. Short and light with small hands and short arms, never equates to being an NFL receiver.

I'm going to miss Tavon running with the ball for the Rams. He was exciting to watch. His production being down and the Rams getting Cooks for jet sweeps (Cooper too) his roster spot can go somewhere else that is needed. The end of Tavon Austin's Rams career looks like the best thing for everyone.

I mostly recall a bunch of stop and go and scissor kicks, while defenders were streaming down the field towards him. I was more frustrated by him than anything.

Tavon is a RB in a WR body.
Him being on the roster as a wr was only taking away reps from someone.
I have a ton of respect for him. Worked his azz off, did whatever was asked, blocked like a nasty sumbitch and never, NEVER complained and handled everything with class.

I don't think he has a receivers body.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
all debates aside...Im going to hate seeing him with a star on his helmet. And every time he makes a splashy play, I'm sure we're going to feel bit of regret and "what if"

If he goes out there and balls out with weekly ESPN highlights and accolades, that wouldn't surprise me.

It would surprise me. That would mean Linehan did what McVay couldn't. It isn't going to happen though. Sure, you will see a few highlights, because anytime Tavon did something good it made the highlights. Keep it in perspective and look at the state. He won't do anymore than he did for the Rams.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe the whole restructuring was agreed upon by Tavon so that he could be traded. Or are you talking about some other thing?

Maybe. If Austin and his agent decided there was a better chance of him getting all the money by reducing the guaranteed roster bonus by $1 million, converting that million to a guaranteed salary, and making the $2 million bonuses easier to reach, maybe that was the deal. But that argument requires it to be easier for him to find a new team by being traded for something of value with a $3 million contract, rather than finding a $2 million contract from any of 31 teams who wouldn't even have him count against comp picks. I find that unlikely