Tavon Austin retiring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I recall, he scored 3 TDs totaling 231 yards in a span of 13 minutes. I thought he had finally arrived but he never reached those heights again. So many returns called back as someone else said.

I think the colts played man and he ripped them to shreds. All other teams played zone against him which he was less effective at as a wr.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't Tutu get injured &lost for the year on a return during his rookie season?

It was a run play against the cards. It was his usual 50+ yard play by that stage of his rookie year and unfortunately got hurt at the end of it.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
When I rewatched this my first thought was not a bust, but part of what was a decade of bad teams. He was a hell of a returner and maybe more of a gadget guy but let's be honest, the teams he played for were bad in general. What would he be like if he was on THIS team? I bet night and day. Was he worth the #8 pick? maybe not but I wouldn't say he was a bust either.
He had a number of TD's called back too from stupid penalties. How many legit QB's did he even play with, he had how many with us?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Tavon was a bust but he was definitely over drafted. Second or certainly third-round would have been much better.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Tavon was a bust but he was definitely over drafted. Second or certainly third-round would have been much better.

The whole thing was wrong. Trading up to #8 to get him. Fisher saying the Rams were going to run a high tempo offense, the main reason in drafting tavon. Then 3 games in after a couple of tough losses fisher can't help being who he is and goes straight back to his 3 yards and dust offense. Like wtf.

Tavon and Bradford, wasted by a team that had no clue what they were doing.

Mcdouche absolutely destroyed Bradford. I don't think he had one simple completion that whole season. It took fisher a whole year just to get Sammy boy back up to speed. And then when it looked like he was finally getting it his knee gave way and never recovered.

Watching Bradford play against the Rams for the cards was like watching a player that was ready to give up and had nothing left in his soul to play the game anymore.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eh, I guess. Put Rookie TA on McVay's team in 17' and maybe we're singing a different tune.

It's fun living in a hypothetical universe :p
Fisher's OCs didn't know how to use him. Frankly, his OCs barely knew how to design much of anything.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay had him in 2017 and he still was a gadget player. He was a bust in my opinion.
Maybe not accurate but it felt to me like McVay used him more as a runner than a receiver...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Maybe not accurate but it felt to me like McVay used him more as a runner than a receiver...
Basically more as a decoy I feel because of his speed. I believe it was the next year that the Rams traded him so McVay felt he didn't need him, that right there tells me he wasn't a great WR to hold onto.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. And Tavon was a better running back than receiver. It worked for him in college, but no way was that 165-pound frame gonna work in the pros.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tavon seemed like a good person and he had a few productive games as a Ram. His relationship with Stedman was incredible, and he would block for free runners. Judging based on what he was drafted at and the expectations, he was a disappointment, if not a bust, but he actually had a solid career with a few very memorable moments (the Indianapolis game, the punt return for a touchdown in the Thordaddy game, where it swung momentum).

I wish him the best in retirement.