Tavon Austin retiring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Per B/R, Austin is hanging it up.

sam winchester yawn GIF

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe he caught Goff’s first NFL touchdown pass.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So my Chinese knockoff T. Austin jersey gonna be worth more now?

Think after the first year I never wore it again. If only he stopped dancing and ran north/south. He is ready for break dancing Olympic career at least. Really wish he coulda worked out.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
It is hard to call a guy who lasted that long in the NFL, with that many all purpose TDs and yards, a bust. Countless NFL picks never do anything. Including high ones. And Austin would have had way more if the Jeff Fisher chronically undisciplined Rams didn't negate countless Tavon Austin punt return TDs via penalties. Speaking off the Fisher era, if Austin's best years weren't in a high-school offense led by backup QBs, he would have had better numbers. He did get McVay for a brief stint. But his confidence was shot at that point, as by then he caught a case of the fumbles.

In his prime, Tavon could score from anywhere, and was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball. Opposing defenses had to account for him. He was a very willing blocker for his size too.

Over-drafted for sure. But he was a good player and I enjoyed watching him. I wish him well in retirement.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Lol ok, hasn’t he been “retired” for a few years now?
Pretty much. Austin's last reception was in 2021, so he has not played in the past two seasons; and was not with any team this off-season. Seems to be a thing where NFL players retire about 20-30 months after no team wanted them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I liked tavon. He was a weapon. It was exciting having him on the team. Not sure what happened in year 2 but his rookie year, once he got into the groove, and 3rd year were great.

Then he got paid. I didn't like paid tavon.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I am thinking that he has "retired" because he couldn't find anyone to offer him a contract.
He's just too limited as a player and he takes up a roster spot for a younger guy so he now finds himself outside looking in.

In a sense the league "retired" him.

~ArkyRamsFan~