Taking a look at fifth-year options for 2013 first-round picks including Ogletree and T. Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May 3rd 2016
Tavon Austin 5th yr option cost near 11 million @ $10,971,000:shocked:
Alec Ogletree 5th yr option costs over @ $7.751,000 million

May 3rd 2017
Greg Robinson 5th yr option $11,096,000 million:huh:

Aaron Donald 5th yr option $6,146,000 million

they better be working on making an offer to donald after this season. no way the best dt in the league is gonna play at rookie scale level salary. if one player deserves an early contract extension this guy is it.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
In regards to fifth year option money there is no difference between linebacker positions. The fifth-year salary for people picked 11-32 is the average of the third through twenty-fifth highest salaries at a player's position. And the linebacker position is lumped into one pool and not distinguished by outside or middle. So his pay wouldn't matter in that regard. As far as long term contract I would think a MLB would expect a slightly larger salary over an OLB as they are the center of the defense and less of them in the NFL.

Anyway, this article is really good at explaining the fifth year option plus has a chart of last years salaries for such players.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks

Oh well that makes me feel better than. I figured it was like franchise tags but guess not. the whole 3-4 olb thing makes 4-3 olb prices too much for those

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I brought up Austin in particular in conversation re: using him to trade up for a QB. He has excellent value still, and my take is that IF you think he's going to be a problem to sign why not utilize his value to make this team better?

Snead is going to bring in at least a couple wideouts in this draft. He will be able to draft another next year. So IMO it's not the end of the world if Austin rolls out, because he's just not that guy you can dictate to a defense with. He's that guy who on top of a deep WR corps could flat-out kill defenses.

If the Rams were to trade up and use Austin as the central piece along with this year's 15 overall to get a QB, they'd be able to hold onto both round 2 picks and nab a couple excellent young receivers who fit what this offense is intended to be: a power unit. They could go crazy and pick up 2a. Shepard, 2b. Boyd, 3. Caroo or similar, mix in a TE if they wanted, or still add two WRs while nabbing one of this class' deep DT position.

Oh and while I don't see the Ravens as a trade down partner due to their LT need... They also need WR. SO if the Rams were to offer 15 overall and Tavon for the 6 pick I suspect the deal would get done. Remember Tavon is the hometown kid for Baltimore.

Not pushing hard for them to do this, btw, as I do like Tavon. But just pointing out it has merit.
You read my mind as i was reading thru the thread. Saved me from posting.
Dangling Austin in a trade up could lessen the price a little in terms of shelling out a 2nd rd pick or future 1st to move up and secure a legit QB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes, that's what he's saying.
nixweiss.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Percy Harvin was worth a 1st and 7th to the Seahawks in 2013(following a season where Harvin missed 7 games and the migraines and nagging injuries started)
Harvin had 24 all purpose TD's his first three seasons in Minnesota. Tavon has 19 his first three years.

If you asked the average NFL fan they'd likely say Tavon is a bust and not worth a whole lot...but i'd be willing to bet that if you asked NFL GM's around the league he's worth about a 2nd rd pick because they can "make him a star."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Of course they do NOW. He very quickly showed that he had no durability whatsoever. That changes nothing in terms of his value before the injuries and after three productive years as a swiss army knife WR. You know that Flv.

You can disagree with me that Tavon's value in trade is less than a 2nd rd pick, but let's keep it real shall we?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fair enough. In an offensive league i think there are plenty of teams(with legit QB's) that would like to put Tavon on their roster and pay him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't like playing the game of what if.

I'm happy tavon plays for the Rams and i want him to stay. Just get a legit wr so defenses can't focus on him every snap. And let him be what he is, a player you move around trying to get that match-up to take advantage of.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Without Austin, half of last year's playback gets thrown out the window. Some may say that is a good thing, but Tavon really is the straw that stirs the drink. I cannot imagine how pathetic the offense would have been without him. Throw in his ST play and he is a keeper. Not sure he's worth that option tender, but certainly worth signing to a longer deal.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I brought up Austin in particular in conversation re: using him to trade up for a QB. He has excellent value still, and my take is that IF you think he's going to be a problem to sign why not utilize his value to make this team better?

Snead is going to bring in at least a couple wideouts in this draft. He will be able to draft another next year. So IMO it's not the end of the world if Austin rolls out, because he's just not that guy you can dictate to a defense with. He's that guy who on top of a deep WR corps could flat-out kill defenses.

If the Rams were to trade up and use Austin as the central piece along with this year's 15 overall to get a QB, they'd be able to hold onto both round 2 picks and nab a couple excellent young receivers who fit what this offense is intended to be: a power unit. They could go crazy and pick up 2a. Shepard, 2b. Boyd, 3. Caroo or similar, mix in a TE if they wanted, or still add two WRs while nabbing one of this class' deep DT position.

Oh and while I don't see the Ravens as a trade down partner due to their LT need... They also need WR. SO if the Rams were to offer 15 overall and Tavon for the 6 pick I suspect the deal would get done. Remember Tavon is the hometown kid for Baltimore.

Not pushing hard for them to do this, btw, as I do like Tavon. But just pointing out it has merit.

as much as I like TA ,,,this is a feasible ...when we talk about trading up we tend to think all it takes is draft picks ,,,we have players too