Take red flags away from Coach Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Fisher said he threw the red flags in the 2nd half against AZ because he had no good intel to tell him they were bad challenges.

On the second play that was later challenged, I was yelling at the TV set to snap the ball before Fisher decided to challenge again. They snapped the ball and I said out loud "Thank God". Then wait, a red flag is on the field, Fisher has managed to get the challenge in prior to the snap. Ugh.

For an organization worth $billions, can they not afford like $25 a month for a Sunday Ticket subscription and dedicate one guy to watch the game on TV and call down whether to challenge or not? It seems like an embarrassing oversight given all of the tablets, headphone sets and other tech gear they employ.

Otherwise, great game.

Thanks.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Have so say (not against you) but that's BS. They have access to the same things everyone watching does. If the guys looking at it were that blind they shouldn't have that job. Both challenges weren't even close to worth it.

DeaconJones

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have so say (not against you) but that's BS. They have access to the same things everyone watching does. If the guys looking at it were that blind they shouldn't have that job. Both challenges weren't even close to worth it.

I should have quoted what was said in the article on the web site:

To those who had the benefit of extensive television reviews, it seemed as though Fisher chose poorly both times. Fisher, though, said he had to make on-the-spot decisions based on what he saw live, because the Arizona video board did not offer replays of the questionable calls.

Fisher said assistant coaches in the press box also weren’t able to see reviews.

So the claim was, they didn't see it ...

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For an organization worth $billions, can they not afford like $25 a month for a Sunday Ticket subscription and dedicate one guy to watch the game on TV and call down whether to challenge or not? It seems like an embarrassing oversight given all of the tablets, headphone sets and other tech gear they employ.

Are there rules against being able to contact outsiders? And also, you have to take into account the lag between the game and the tv.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
That's BS he has people up in the booth telling whether or not to challenge. He just didn't want to throw them under the bus. Fisher has never really thrown guys under the bus. I'm sure he gave them/him/her a verbal spanking behind closed doors.

DeaconJones

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's BS he has people up in the booth telling whether or not to challenge. He just didn't want to throw them under the bus. Fisher has never really thrown guys under the bus. I'm sure he gave them/him/her a verbal spanking behind closed doors.

That sounds plausible although I still would wonder how they could then get the judgment so wrong? Bad eyesight and small low quality monitors?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
That sounds plausible although I still would wonder how they could then get the judgment so wrong? Bad eyesight and small low quality monitors?

There were terrible calls. I'm sure every self respecting rams fan was yelling at their TV.

Isiah58

UDFA
Fisher actually has a pretty good record with challenges. He had a bad day.

Both calls had huge significance in the game, and he felt they were worth the risk. He did not have the benefit of slow motion replays. I actually thought both calls were pretty close, and I don't blame Fisher for throwing the flags.

I also take Fisher at his word that his assistants in the booth didn't get a look at the replay. It's Arizona, and I don't doubt that they didn't show the replay upstairs or anywhere until the challenge flag was already thrown.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

To those who had the benefit of extensive television reviews, it seemed as though Fisher chose poorly both times. Fisher, though, said he had to make on-the-spot decisions based on what he saw live, because the Arizona video board did not offer replays of the questionable calls.

Fisher said assistant coaches in the press box also weren’t able to see reviews.

That's what I heard too.
But back to the original statement, on road games just have contact with someone with NFL Ticket and have them watch and call Fisher direct. I'm not aware of any rules that would prevent that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JEFF FISHER
Total Challenges (career): 79
Overturned: 30
Upheld: 49
38% success rate.

BILL BELLYFAT
Total Challenges (career): 104
Overturned: 42
Upheld: 62
40% success rate.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Im gonna call bullshit on Fisher. The nfl changed the rules concerning showing replays at away venues.

Whatever replays that are shown on tv they have to show on the jumbotron regardless of stadium.

Its the same feed.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Honestly I don't think Fisher really makes that call most of the time... I mean he does, but it's the guys in the booth, the ones who can get another look at a replay, who tell him to throw the flag or not.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wonder if one booth loses replays they black out the other like sideline communications?

This must be a controlled thing because obviously it's an advantage and obviously there are 1,000 ways to get a feed if you want one. I believe Fisher. He would be howling if it was inappropriate.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Not saying I'm right but I sure do have a hard time believing that. IF they didn't have access they would of complained about it.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
I wonder if one booth loses replays they black out the other like sideline communications?

This must be a controlled thing because obviously it's an advantage and obviously there are 1,000 ways to get a feed if you want one. I believe Fisher. He would be howling if it was inappropriate.

Doesnt matter about the booth. What you see on the tv is the same feed as the replays on the jumbotron.

Fisher should have looked up. We saw it at home and if the Rams staff didnt. Then shame on them

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
In his career he has won 30/79 challenges

It's time to try something different with the red flag.

It's more than just a % though. Both challenges this weekend were obvious. I feel like we have a high percentage of obviously bad challenges.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

Lol. I thought the exact same thing. Fisher said he never saw it and didn't have anyone on staff who saw it, but I'm not buying that. It's most likely a lie to save face. Your organisation is worth millions. You already have access to NFL Game Pass, because the coaches film portion was seen on hard knocks. Yet nobody in the organisation is designated to watch the TV feed when you're on the road? Not buying it.

Bruce2980

Starter
Im gonna call bullcrap on Fisher. The nfl changed the rules concerning showing replays at away venues.

Whatever replays that are shown on tv they have to show on the jumbotron regardless of stadium.

Its the same feed.
I was at the game and I re-watched the game at home, I have to agree with Fisher. You may be correct about that rule, I have no knowledge of that rule one way or the other, but the jumbo trons showing it, I believe it was the first challenge, was late coming in. It actually did not even finish playing before the next play was snapped. The red flag was thrown before the replay finished. I was watching the replay as I heard the whistle, and thought, dam I missed the play, and didn't even finish watching the replay. As for the Quick pass, the replay showed an angle that I have never seen before on tv, and I did not see that as I watched the game at home. It may have been shot from a cameraman up in the rafters? A cameraman was spotted by some Rams fans from LA sitting behind me before the game started. They didn't like the idea of being in his shoes. It was a "distant viewed" angle from the top left of Quick's head, not the angle from his feet where the ball was clearly seen as to hitting the ground.
There is also a delay between Direct TV feed and local feeds of 10 seconds and real life of maybe 15 or 20 seconds? I know the local feed delay from the last Super Bowl. We were watching on a tv in the house connected to DirectTV, and the tv outside was local feed. The local feed was at least 10 seconds ahead, if I remember the count correctly, of Direct TV, we all knew inside that a good play was heading our way as my dad would scream so loud, it could be heard through the adjacent screen door. And Fisher said that the TV cut to commercial after the TA pass. So that can easily be fact checked by anyone here if they re-watch that part of the game. I stand by Fisher until it has been proven otherwise, but I agree, he would take the blame before throwing anyone under the bus, he's a class act that way for sure.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Im gonna call bullcrap on Fisher. The nfl changed the rules concerning showing replays at away venues.

Its the same feed.

This is not the case at all. Home teams control everything shown on their screens in the stadium. It is common practice for the home team to not show replays that would assist the other team when trying to decide on a challenge. I see it all the time... I attend mostly road games.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
This is not the case at all. Home teams control everything shown on their screens in the stadium. It is common practice for the home team to not show replays that would assist the other team when trying to decide on a challenge. I see it all the time... I attend mostly road games.

I'll Have to try and find the article I was referring to as it pertains to the jumbotron.

Believe it was 2012 that the NFL changed the feed rules due to complaints of fans at home seeing obvious calls that went unchanged.

Here's a link to the replay process. I may be mistaking in that these feeds don't apply until their "is" a replay challenge?

http://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/these-officials-are-really-good/instant-replay-process