Superbowl teams seeding since 1975

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Ramowl

Starter
I like stats and I was wondering what seeds usually get to the SB. I found this infographic that goes from 1975 to 2014 :

EWWnixU.png

The most recent years have been :
2014 - 1 (DEN) - 1 (SEA)*
2015 - 1 (NE)* - 1 (SEA)
2016 - 1 (DEN)* - 1 (CAR)
2017 - 1 (NE)* - 2 (ATL)

Needless to say, it is statistically rare to see teams that are not in the #1 or #2 seeds get to the SB and has not happened since 2012 when the AFC #4 seed, the Ravens, won it all. Since then, only 1 team that was not a #1 seed got there and it was last years Falcons.

Those Rams have defied all expectations though, so we can hope they keep going !

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Strange how historically the 4th seed is nearly 3 times as likely to make it than the 3rd seed and the 6th seed is twice as likely as the 5th.

The Ramowl

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also interesting, when a wild card round team gets to the SB, it wins the SB 10 out of 17 times. No SB has featured 2 wild card round teams, so it's a valid stat as it is

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Past performance is not indicative of future results. While this kind of stuff is very interesting to look at, it drives me crazy when people use it to forecast an upcoming game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strange how historically the 4th seed is nearly 3 times as likely to make it than the 3rd seed and the 6th seed is twice as likely as the 5th.

No doubt. I'd guess it has to do with the fact the 3 seed plays the last team to get in, which often is a team hardened by multiple weeks of threat of elimination. Look at this year, the 3 seed drew the Falcons which are a far more threatening matchup than the Panthers.

Definitely strange though.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I'm pulling for the Rams, but it looks to me like it will be a Vikings-Patriots super bowl this year. The 1-1 and 1-2 appearances have both happened 13 times a piece, but you have to think that the Eagles will have a tough time getting there with a backup QB.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I like stats and I was wondering what seeds usually get to the SB. I found this infographic that goes from 1975 to 2014 :

EWWnixU.png

The most recent years have been :
2014 - 1 (DEN) - 1 (SEA)*
2015 - 1 (NE)* - 1 (SEA)
2016 - 1 (DEN)* - 1 (CAR)
2017 - 1 (NE)* - 2 (ATL)

Needless to say, it is statistically rare to see teams that are not in the #1 or #2 seeds get to the SB and has not happened since 2012 when the AFC #4 seed, the Ravens, won it all. Since then, only 1 team that was not a #1 seed got there and it was last years Falcons.

Those Rams have defied all expectations though, so we can hope they keep going !

I'm going to put some positive spin on this year's playoffs. Technically, the Eagles are probably sunk without Carson Wentz so minus the bye week, the ViQueens are the #1 seed and the Rams are the #2 seed.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :D

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you look at the graphic, they have the Rams as the winner of SB 36... as God intended!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm pulling for the Rams, but it looks to me like it will be a Vikings-Patriots super bowl this year. The 1-1 and 1-2 appearances have both happened 13 times a piece, but you have to think that the Eagles will have a tough time getting there with a backup QB.

If it is the vikings and patriots, expect the pats to ruin the storybook ending to minnesotas SB at home. Just like the giants ruined the pats perfect season.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If you look at the graphic, they have the Rams as the winner of SB 36... as God intended!

Minus the Patriots cheating (Cheatriots), the Rams would have been the winner. Never mind that the 5 yard receiver holding rule was born out of Superbowl 36. Matt Walsh turned over tapes that showed the Patriots had videoed the Rams practices for the SB. Goodell claims the tapes showed nothing so he destroyed them. That is utter BS. The commissioner could never admit that a team had cheated in a Super Bowl and overturn the outcome so he had to destroy the tapes and claim that nothing was there. Otherwise the NFL would have lost all credibility, although Goodell is starting to go down that road these days now.

:redcard: