Strauss: Fisher isn't playing blame game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Strauss: Fisher isn't playing blame game
• By Joe Strauss

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_900c6010-b9ae-56f3-aa33-45ab71a7e77a.html

The Rams put a bow on 2014 Tuesday afternoon as Jeff Fisher fulfilled his league-mandated chore of taking questions about what transpired the past four months. They also presented Sam Bradford as the head coach’s warm-up act, a portent for what probably lay ahead.

Fisher reiterated that he believes the Rams better this year than last, though a 6-10 record was a downgrade from its predecessor’s 7-9.

Fisher asserted there will be no alterations to his coaching staff while throwing bouquets to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, whom he considers extremely organized and a splendid play-caller. (Reminder: Fisher made similar

assertions about coaching stability before jettisoning lame-duck defensive coordinator Tim Walton last January. But in this case, one tends to believe the head coach’s pledge.) “You can’t put the record on (Schottenheimer’s) shoulders. That would be very, very unfair,” Fisher said.

So we’re left to square seemingly incompatible claims that a more gifted Rams roster was capably coached but produced the worst record of Fisher’s three years on campus.

In other words: These Rams were unlucky.

The Rams’ biggest problem is they exist in a nebulous realm.

They no longer stink, but they remain the NFC West’s bottom-feeder. Indeed, every NFC team has made two postseason appearances since the Rams’ last winning season.

They could beat Seattle and Denver, then crumple at home against the New York Giants.

They intentionally threw in with youth and a damaged quarterback this season and were alternately exposed by both.

This is Fisher’s team, his philosophy. He no longer bears the sins of those before him. This group’s strength and weaknesses, its gambles won and lost, are on him.

To say these Rams were better than their record indicated is convenient and, yes, a bit self-serving. The defense surged after a queasy six-game start, but a Bradford-less offense couldn’t deliver when the defense was holding the Arizona Cardinals without a touchdown and the Seahawks to one.

Fisher enjoys a luxury extended few other NFL coaches — a fourth season after three losing ones. Fisher speaks for an organization with a silent owner and a general manager who serves at his pleasure. This is hardly a situation where Fisher is asked to coach players he is assigned. Few among his fraternity are as well-compensated or given more organizational sway.

To hear Fisher suggest things are moving apace is disconcerting. This is, after all, a franchise where Sundays in November are secondary to where the team will play in 2016.

The Rams now face the doubly challenging task of commanding loyalty from a market they willingly would trade to go west.

The organizational narrative of patience wears thin. The current regime reached town envisioning 2014 as its breakout only to be hamstrung by Bradford’s second ACL tear in 10 months. The Rams may backhand questions about whether they unduly accelerated Bradford’s return, but they no longer can embrace last spring’s stance that he is their No. 1.

Fisher squelched viral rumors of the Rams’ interest in prodigal arm Johnny Manziel last May by declaring to a bacchanalia of fans and sponsors that Bradford was his guy.

Fisher acknowledged Tuesday to an Earth City gathering of pens and lens that next summer “there’s going to be competition at the quarterback position; there’s no doubt ... with somebody that’s not in the building right now.”

Bradford said earlier he is open to the idea. Though the quarterback remained vague on the concept, he will doubtless have to renegotiate a contract for 2015. Still, it’s not enough for the club and Bradford to lock up a conditional one-year deal. The Rams must search out a talent who is a legitimate alternative to Bradford, not just a convenient valet. After years of moving down in the draft to acquire more picks, might a Rams team that talks so much of steady improvement consolidate its 2015-16 picks to aggressively address more specific needs?

“I think those are options for you,” Fisher said, citing the productive midseason trade for Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Mark Barron in exchange for next year’s fourth- and sixth-round draft picks.

The Rams’ use of a sixth-round pick on run-and-shoot SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert was silliness last May. They abstained from eventual New England draftee Jimmy Garoppolo and a batch of SEC quarterbacks, including Zach Mettenberger, after watching Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr come off the board less than 10 picks before they took cornerback Lamarcus Joyner. As a result, the franchise squandered a year of development for Bradford’s possible heir.

At least for public consumption, Bradford said he would not pout if the Rams moved aggressively for a quarterback in the draft. “It’s their decision,” he said. “Obviously, if they feel it’s in the best interest of the team, I would support it and I would welcome the competition.”

Perhaps the Rams beat the Cardinals once, the 49ers twice and steal a win at San Diego with a healthy Bradford. Even given the no-show against the Giants, that’s the difference between 6-10 and 9-7, between having to explain yourself two days after the season and reveling in the franchise’s first winning season since 2003. But who knows what Bradford looks like after two operations? How long can a franchise continue to couch projections at receiver because of a quarterback who isn’t there? At some point giving out gold stars to Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis shouldn’t mask paralysis on offense.

“I’m not going to blame any one of them,” Fisher said after noting the Rams starting three quarterbacks other than Bradford in their last 23 games, “but I think that’s a contributing factor.”

The Rams — again — have needs on the offensive front. Center Scott Wells played on fumes this season. Left tackle Jake Long’s career may be over after a second season-ending ACL tear. Most recognized Davin Joseph as a stopgap at right guard. Fisher Tuesday anointed Greg Robinson next season’s starting left tackle but it’s a fair expectation that the draft and free agency will have to address two vacancies.

As for Bradford, he has played 16 games in two of five professional seasons, seven total in his last two. Fisher mentioned Tuesday how in his term as coach the Rams are 5-2-1 against division foes with Bradford as starter, 2-8 against the NFC West without him. Fisher noted how this year’s team was handicapped by 10 returns for touchdowns and that the defense was top five in points allowed.

They sounded like compelling reasons for staying the course. But that can’t be right.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
To hear Fisher suggest things are moving apace is disconcerting. This is, after all, a franchise where Sundays in November are secondary to where the team will play in 2016.

The Rams now face the doubly challenging task of commanding loyalty from a market they willingly would trade to go west.
Whatever. What a load of garbage.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Whatever. What a load of garbage.

Why is it garbage? ROD is the only place I know of where relocation isn't talked about as much if not more than the game day itself. And that's because of forum rules, not lack of interest. As for the assertion that the Rams really want to go west? They don't exactly put a lot of effort info reassuring the fan base that they would care to stay if they could. No one outside of Stan's inner circle know if they want to stay. So it's not exactly a controversial thought to assume that selling tickets while promising nothing in return would be a tough sell for a 6-10 team following a decade of losing seasons. Strauss is a douche usually, but he isn't wrong here.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'd go west in a heartbeat if it takes goodhell's boot off our throat and allows us to start winning again. Just look what it did for the Cardinals.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I'd go west in a heartbeat if it takes goodhell's boot off our throat and allows us to start winning again. Just look what it did for the Cardinals.

HUH!?! they moved in 1988 and didn't make the playoffs until 1998.... then had another drought that lasted until 2008. Their current status is more a reflection of the son taking the reins from the father a while back. Moving West didn't suddenly change their fortunes......

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I used to joke that Major League was Stan Kroenke's favorite movie.
It doesn't feel like as much of a joke now.

I don't think you can blame Brian Schottenheimer for all of the Rams offensive problems (working with back-up QBs for most of his tenure certainly hasn't helped), but I'm not sure he'd still have a job after the last three seasons with any other team.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This perspective is too bad to even justify with a response but I guess I will anyway. While I will admit that it would've been prudent to draft a better quarterback last year and find another guard much better than Joseph, considering all of the improvements on this team, it would be tremendously shortsighted to start over with a new staff. Then again, it will not be until the end of next years regular season before we will be able to prove Strauss and others wrong. Arians was garnering accolades for coach of the year until he lost Palmer. I wonder how it would've been if he lost Veldheer about the same time we lost Long. Hmmmmmm

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Not sure why comments about the Rams moving are relevant to the rest of the story? Guess these clowns got to speculate for their own good? Not part of the rest of the article! :whistle:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This perspective is too bad to even justify with a response but I guess I will anyway. While I will admit that it would've been prudent to draft a better quarterback last year and find another guard much better than Joseph, considering all of the improvements on this team, it would be tremendously shortsighted to start over with a new staff. Then again, it will not be until the end of next years regular season before we will be able to prove Strauss and others wrong. Arians was garnering accolades for coach of the year until he lost Palmer. I wonder how it would've been if he lost Veldheer about the same time we lost Long. Hmmmmmm

Those are some damn good points.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Strauss, sigh.

The day the schedule for 2014 came out, everyone knew that for the Rams to have any chance against this schedule, they would have to start fast, like 3-1 or even 4-0.

Young team, new schemes... tough but doable.

But then Bradford was injured... then Hill... then C Long and we're not even to week 2. Then J Long went down which is just a well as he was a shadow of himself. Then Quick. The defense had a slow start picking up the new schemes. Stacy wasn't the same. Instead of 3-1 the Rams were 1-3.

In reality, when Bradford went down, there went the possibility of a fast start and the season was lost. Everyone knew it.

High marks for effort and making things competitive. A bunch of players emerged along the way with Donald, McDonald, Ogletree, Gaines, Mason, GRob, Quick, Britt, Bailey. But it wasn't enough.

The Rams only had 3 "should" win games all year (Tampa, Raiders, Skins). They got Minnesota when Peterson was there, the Giants when they had figured things out with OBJ.

They lost games to bad refs and bad bounces.

At the end of the day, the simple truth about the Rams is this - they are 1 QB (which could be a healthy Bradford) and 2 OL away from being competitive. Again, everyone knows this including Strauss. But Strauss isn't happy unless he's ripping someone for something.

If I have one gripe with the 2014 Rams, it is that they didn't draft Garoppolo, which would have totally changed the flavor of this 2015 offseason.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Why is it garbage? ROD is the only place I know of where relocation isn't talked about as much if not more than the game day itself. And that's because of forum rules, not lack of interest. As for the assertion that the Rams really want to go west? They don't exactly put a lot of effort info reassuring the fan base that they would care to stay if they could. No one outside of Stan's inner circle know if they want to stay. So it's not exactly a controversial thought to assume that selling tickets while promising nothing in return would be a tough sell for a 6-10 team following a decade of losing seasons. Strauss is a douche usually, but he isn't wrong here.
Yeah. I understand why there's a rule in place barring discussion of relocation (at least until something solid is announced), but, at least IMO, insulting posted articles for mentioning it as a possibility or even a likelihood is flat out silly.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
HUH!?! they moved in 1988 and didn't make the playoffs until 1998.... then had another drought that lasted until 2008. Their current status is more a reflection of the son taking the reins from the father a while back. Moving West didn't suddenly change their fortunes......
Hey, this is a Rams forum! Who said u could introduce logic and rationality?