Still like Hundley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking Sam, Glennon, Hundley would be a decent stable

If we go with Glennon, I think it would be at the expense of drafting a guy. Trading for Glennon, for me at least, is my way of saying that I don't like my options in the draft and I am buying time.

Well, that and my belief that Glennon has ability and potential.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Remember when Sam was drafted ( I was a Suh guy). He gave such a spark to the team. We ( Sam & Suh camps) united with joy and hope as our #1 pick won O Roy. I'd like to feel some of that next year. Be it Sam. Be it a new qb draft pick. Just let it be.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would much rather draft a guy like Garrett Greyson than Hundley. More of a pocket passer, more accurate, big arm.
A much better fit for the O and further along developmentally than Hundley in my opinion.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
How many QB's with upside have emerged like that, tho?

At that position, you have it or you don't. I just can't think of many who rode the bench to hone those type of skills.

That's very true, no doubt. However, I'm not sure QBs have really ever had time to develop besides late round guys, the truly talented guys just haven't had time to sit down and learn. Teams are always in such a rush for results. I think it would work, Rodgers himself said sitting on the bench learning for a couple years is the best thing that could happen to a young QB.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How many QB's with upside have emerged like that, tho?

At that position, you have it or you don't. I just can't think of many who rode the bench to hone those type of skills.
Not many but look how it worked out for Aaron Rogers

A55VA6

Legend
I'd really love Hundley in the 2nd round, but it might require a trade up or some sort of scenario to play out.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sure he could be really smart but he cant read a defense worth a damn, he is slow to make decisions, and when he does they are bad decisions.
Well then. Maybe the Randal Cunningham comparison is right on.
Though, Cunningham had some really good years late in his career, when he lost his legs and was forced to stand in there and read what was going on.

I wouldn't mind Hundley, but I would certainly want him to sit and learn for 2-3 years.
Same for any rookie qb

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sure he could be really smart but he cant read a defense worth a damn, he is slow to make decisions, and when he does they are bad decisions.
I think that is a very harsh way to view our new QB .

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't know if that is something they can learn or not. I really hope Sam is the guy for the next 2 or 3 years and then Hundley comes on strong enough to either push Sam out and take over or draw huge returns in a trade.

But do the Rams have or can they get the "QB whisperer" (whoever that is) to develop Hundley????

If not is there another QB that could be this guy?? I'm planning on watch the Michigan St game to check out Cook
IMO, they aren't easily learned. Reading defenses is probably the one that is most easily learned/improved upon. Pocket presence and accuracy tend to be things the QB either has or doesn't. I don't know of too many QB's that have gotten better in accuracy unless there was some major issue with mechanics that got fixed later on.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, Hundley has got bust written all over him in a traditional NFL offense. And especially if he gets hooked up with Schottenhiemer.

lockdnram21

Legend
No way he last past top 5 of second round. Especially if he does well at combine. Most likely bottom half of first

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
My impression of Hundley based on the little I've seen of him is that he will be Blaine Gabbert 2.0. A guy with serious questions about his ability to be a quarterback, but with good physical tools. He will likely perform really well at the combine and his draft slot will surge a lot based off that. All very superficial at this point, but that's the trajectory it appears he's on.

Athos

Legend
I really wanna like him. He has the physical tools. But all the negatives talked about are worrying me.

However, I'd jump all over him in the 3rd or after a trade down in the 2nd.

Bring in Glennon too and you can give the kid time to develop.

fearsomefour

Legend
The idea of sitting a QB for a couple of years or playing them right away depends on the QB. Or is should I think. How things are now, usually, when a team is taking a QB in the first round they are desperate for a QB, so, that guy gets thrown in before they are ready.
Some guys are good to go....Luck jumps to mind as an example. Rodgers may have had success without sitting so long, maybe not, no way to tell. For every first rounder like Luck there are probably 10 or more that would benefit from learning, watching and slowly being introduced to game at the NFL level. EJ Manual is a QB that I think has talent and could be good but was thrown into the fire too early.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
My impression of Hundley based on the little I've seen of him is that he will be Blaine Gabbert 2.0. A guy with serious questions about his ability to be a quarterback, but with good physical tools. He will likely perform really well at the combine and his draft slot will surge a lot based off that. All very superficial at this point, but that's the trajectory it appears he's on.
Wouldn't have taken Gabbert so I guess Hundley is the in the same boat for me!

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
Wouldn't have taken Gabbert so I guess Hundley is the in the same boat for me!
That's just this outsiders opinion. Gabbert never showed much of anything while at Mizzou, so I was nearly dumbfounded when he was taken high in the first. I can at least see why there is hype around Hundley.

FRO

Legend
I hate to be this way but those are all MAJOR weaknesses. And those are all issues I've seen while watching him as well.

Hundley bothers me because I see the upside but I can't help but think of Jason Campbell when I think about his strengths and weaknesses.
I agree. Stuff can be improved, but the dropping of the head when there is pressure seems to be instinctual. Sometimes those things can't be fixed. Gabbert never fixed his happy feet. Manziel still runs backwards. RGIII hasn't learned how to read defenses.

People get hung up on size, arm strength, and athleticism, but it's the reading of defenses, ball placement, and small details that make great QBs great.