Steven Jackson expected to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not 100% accurate. He was obligated to play here because he didn't reach an incentive in his contract that would have allowed him to opt out of his final year. It was the Rams who more or less "pretended" that he did meet the requirements of opting out so that he could test the free agent market. IMO, it was a mutual parting of ways. He wanted to play for a team that had a better chance of making it to a SB (his words, despite saying months earlier that he wanted to see the rebuild through to the end), and the Rams wanted more RBs on the roster who they could rotate in and out for fresh legs and changes of pace.

He was a great guy, great team player, great ambassador to the team, and a mentor, but it was time for him to go.
There was no way he was going to rip off runs like Tre Mason did against the Raiders recently.

Yeah, that's how I kind of remember it. A mutual parting of the ways.

So would you classify him as a "quitter" under this scneario?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, that's how I kind of remember it. A mutual parting of the ways.

So would you classify him as a "quitter" under this scneario?
Me? Nah.

He by far exceeded the anticipated career life-expectancy of a RB in the NFL and had nothing to show for it. Atlanta (at the time) had a pretty good shot at going all the way, so it was kind of his only shot at getting some hardware. And the Rams weren't going to feature him as the focal point of the offense anymore, plus they were pretty far away from being a complete team (also at the time). Shame it worked out the way it did, because he exemplified sportsmanship and camaraderie.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd have to say I saw a lot of him putting his head down and getting a yard. What I didn't see enough of was an actual hole for him to run to. If your guards and center are being driven backwards and LBers aren't being accounted for, putting your head down even at 240 isn't going to do a thing. To me, those teams were so untalented, and so poorly coached, that the few good players like Jackson are really hard to judge. For example, seems to me that Jackson's dancing would have been much less noticeable on a actual real NFL level team.
I have zero statistics to back up my statement, just eye test and memory. I'd rather have Jerome Bettis in there when i need a yard with a bad OLine.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have zero statistics to back up my statement, just eye test and memory. I'd rather have Jerome Bettis in there when i need a yard with a bad OLine.
Or Marshawn Lynch

Haha

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe it's just me, but I think Tre Mason runs with as much anger as anyone in the league right now.
Despite his stature, I'd trust him to get me a yard.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Or Marshawn Lynch

Haha
True, but i used Bettis as an example because he ran just as hard as SJ did with an equally bad OLine on some bad Rams teams in LA. He also brought that same heart and soul. I felt that as a power back, Bettis was better than SJ.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but i used Bettis as an example because he ran just as hard as SJ did with an equally bad OLine on some bad Rams teams in LA. He also brought that same heart and soul. I felt that as a power back, Bettis was better than SJ.
Don't disagree but....

My comment was meant as a jab to the Seahawks. :);)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

For a yard I'd rather have Bettis than anybody. For all situations, including power, I'd take Jackson.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
ppl wanna call him old, injured, a quitter. I've read just about all descriptions. for one thing put him on a decent offense even today and he's still a top 15 back and wouldve been top 1-3 on a winning team. (argue with me all you want). a second thing, obviously not all fans view this game we call professional football the same way. calling him a quitter or a traitor IMHO is just plain immature (side note: I did not name ppl nor target a specific person so I would appreciate no personal attacks if you are one of those ppl) some ppl view the NFL as if you're honor bound to a team like this is high school or college. a team can turn their back on you in a second if it's in the teams best interest so why can't a player look out for himself too?? the man was being asked by a team he BLED for for 8 years with nothing but struggle and defeat with a team mind you that Bulger and Jackson had to call out to the media at one point for their own team quitting on them so badly. imagine the humiliation! but he stayed for 8 agonizing seasons on a pathetic team and still went to pro bowls and broke records. after years of sacrifice your coach comes to you and says your being phased out by punks not even his caliber. so instead of falling into the shadows and eventually being released with no value left he chose a team that wanted him. a team that was at the time a top 10 offense and next year contende AND with Gonzalez coming back for Jackson.
Draw on the long depressing 10 year season loss record for the last decade and really think how BAD this team could've been with #39 carrying 3 a time while breaking the fuck goalline . I wish you the best SJax, you're a BAMF and haters gonna hate