Steelers’ G.M. says everyone wants to trade down in this draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Steelers’ G.M. says everyone wants to trade down in this draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 23, 2014

colbert.jpg
Getty Images

Don’t expect the Steelers to trade up from the 15th overall pick in the NFL draft.

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said today at the league meeting that with the available talent in this draft, trading down makes a lot more sense than trading up. Unfortunately for Colbert, he thinks the rest of the league feels the same way, which means that teams looking to pick up extra picks by trading down won’t find many takers.

“It makes more sense in this draft than trading up,” Colbert said of trading down, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’m sure everyone shares the same thought.”

All it takes is one team to fall in love with a player, however, for the possibility of trading up to materialize. If some team that isn’t near the top of the draft decides that it has to have Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel orJadeveon Clowney or Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack, a team with a high pick will have the opportunity to trade down.

But Colbert seems to think the strength of this draft is in its depth, not in the elite players at the top. Which means accumulating more picks is the key to putting together a strong draft, and trading down is better than trading up.

Slappy967

Starter
Screw it once they unveil our compensatory picks I say trade the 6-7 Rd picks to move back up into Rd 4 or 5 if everyone wants to trade back lol.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If nobody wants to trade up to #2 two, we take Clowney. He's the best player in this draft and I think we can win the Super Bowl with that kind of rotation.

Clowney, Denard Round round 1.

Best OG round 2

LB Round 3

Depth OT round 4

We'd be nasty.

Of course my favorite options is trade down and draft Robinson.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
They say that every year. Everybody wants to trade down. It's BS.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If nobody wants to trade up to #2 two, we take Clowney. He's the best player in this draft and I think we can win the Super Bowl with that kind of rotation.

Clowney, Denard Round round 1.

Best OG round 2

LB Round 3

Depth OT round 4

We'd be nasty.

Of course my favorite options is trade down and draft Robinson.
If no one trades up, I'd be shocked if we don't draft Robinson or Matthews. I just don't see the Rams taking Clowney. We have two excellent DE with great depth. He just wouldn't play.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
If no one trades up, I'd be shocked if we don't draft Robinson or Matthews. I just don't see the Rams taking Clowney. We have two excellent DE with great depth. He just wouldn't play.
I think you're not realizing we have GW as DC now, he would find a way in coming up with a way to fit everyone into his blitz heavy scheme and adding Clowney to the mix would make for an almost impossible to stop, blitzing, front 7 IMO.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
i'm hoping our D is going to be scary (for our opposition) this year - adding Clowney could make our D legendary

Alan

Legend
Slappy967 getting slap happy and forgetting the rules:
Screw it once they unveil our compensatory picks I say trade the 6-7 Rd picks to move back up into Rd 4 or 5 if everyone wants to trade back lol.
You can't trade compensatory picks. Trading Oakland our 7th round pick this year and the next 7 years should be equivalent to their first rounder. I'd do it.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't trade compensatory picks. Trading Oakland our 7th round pick this year and the next 7 years should be equivalent to their first rounder. I'd do it.

I think what he meant was after finding out what compensatory picks the rams got, which could net a couple of 6th rounders, they could deal their own 6th and 7th round picks.

Alan

Legend
Nah, I think he's going all in and Oakland is just the team to bargain with. All we have to do is find someone who can run really fast and we're all set. :LOL:
7 7th rounders are worth...a lot. Should be no problem.
;)

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

didn't a couple of 6th rounders bag stacy for the rams in the 5th?

Alan

Legend
Notice the coffee emoticon? It's way too early to to think what I thought wasn't what you thought, I think. :p

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Unless we trade C.Long and our #13 to Atlanta for their #6.

We then draft Clowney at #2 and Robinson/Matthews at #6. Start Willy Hayes opposite Quinn and work Clowney into the rotation.

Or

Draft Clowney at #2 and draft Watkins/Mack at #6.

Just throwing it out there for shits and grins....again. :whistle:

We then draft Clowney at #2 and Robinson/Matthews at #6. Start Willy Hayes opposite Quinn and work Clowney into the rotation.

Or

Or we could draft Bridgewater at 2, trade Bradford and our 13 to Texans and draft Clowney :bueller:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Or

Players rarely get traded these days when they have a contract like Long's and when they do they aren't garnering much in the way of trade capital with the new rookie cap in place.

Slappy967

Starter
Oops yeah I should have clarified using g OUR 6-7 Rd picks to move up not the compensatory picks.