Stedman Bailey (pre-draft Article)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramifications

Because Bailey had a relatively quiet debut (those who were watching may have noticed he made a contribution on ST), only making some noise late starting the last few games, I thought it might be worthwhile revisiting how impressive his resume is. The below was written by a regional reporter covering the Steelers. This was probably the first article I saw Bailey compared to Ward for his toughness and ST prowess, and after a closer look I agreed. After more thinking about comps, he also reminded me of Derrick Mason, another player that lacked prototypical size, had deceptive, sneaky speed, always seemed to be open, had outstanding hands and though being underappreciated by casual NFL watchers, carved out an impressive NFL career with multiple 1,000 yard seasons (TEN drafted Mason on Fisher's watch).

Bailey fun fact - Either as a position coach, OC or HC, West Virginia HC and Air Raid passing attack architect Dana Holgorsen oversaw not only the later development of Bailey and teamate Tavon Austin, but earlier of Michael Crabtree, and even further back, Wes Welker.

* IMO, Bailey is a potential X-factor for us, and now that he has had a chance to show the coaches what he can do by cracking the door of opportunity to a starting role open, his talent is going to break it down and compel/force the coaching staff to keep him on the field. On a team plagued and ravaged all season by inconsistency and drops, he is eminently and consumately RELIABLE (Snead called him QB-friendly during the Senior Bowl interview on the NFL channel). He is the smoothest, most polished, refined and technically accomplished route runner on the team, has the best hands and is already a better combination of developed talent than Givens, Quick or Pettis, and I think has leap frogged them as one of the top WRs on the team with Austin.

http://triblive.com/sports/johnharris/3680790-74/bailey-steelers-austin#axzz2rJFdsdsn

excerpts...

1) “Bailey is the best value pick in the draft, and the best route runner,” said Dave-Te' Thomas, who operates Scouting Services Inc. and provides detailed draft analysis for NFL teams, including the Steelers.

2) Bailey, who left WVU with a year of eligibility remaining, led the country with 25 touchdowns among his 114 receptions in 2012 — the third-highest total in NCAA FBS history — and broke Michael Crabtree's Big 12 record of 22 touchdown grabs in 2007 (Crabtree, too, was coached by Holgorsen in college). No active college player has reached Bailey's 41 career touchdown grabs."

3) "Bailey diversified his game to include not only receiving skills — he was among three finalists for the Biletnikoff Award — but also his willingness to excel in less glamorous roles as a defender and blocker on special teams.

Bailey led West Virginia with 10 special teams tackles last season (seven solo), recording at least one stop in eight games. He also finished third in the Big 12 with 1,781 all-purpose yards.

“All teams want rookies to come in and play special teams. That's saying a lot about his toughness,” said Tony Fleming, Bailey's Florida-based agent.

Hines Ward became respected as much for his blocking as his receiving skills with the Steelers. Bailey is a Ward clone in that regard."

PhxRam

Where do you think he would have been drafted had he waited a year?

SC-Ram78

Rookie
I would say late 1st, early 2nd round. Sted had all the tools to be a great wr for us and I can't wait to see him next season

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stedman Bailey was the one receiver I continually clamored for to become a Ram last offseason. I saw him as the best value, especially in round 2. His Measurables were not the best but his character and work ethic made him a cant miss prospect to me. his great hands helped as well.

Since the GSOT days I always want and look for the players that are tireless workers, that always want to get better at their craft, produced in college, and are humble. I witnessed those characteristics in Ike, Torry, Marshall, and Kurt, and it is a blueprint for success. They always make great productivemembers of the team, even if they are not the best player in the league. That is why I hated to see Amendola go, I like Welker, Decker and Manning and Julian Edelman is a very productive player. Their desire to be good is off the charts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where do you think he would have been drafted had he waited a year?

Best he would have done was the same round imo. Might have dropped because WVU's QB play was not good. Fair or not, he was dropped because he was 5'10" with 4.5 timed speed. I thought it was dumb.

PhxRam

Best he would have done was the same round imo. Might have dropped because WVU's QB play was not good. Fair or not, he was dropped because he was 5'10" with 4.5 timed speed. I thought it was dumb.

It is amazing to think that 3/10 of a second is all it takes to go from a road runner to a tortoise.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
^^^ That. You would think considering the greatest WR in the HISTORY of the game ran a 4.71 - 40, that the scouts would dig a little deeper.

0.1 seconds in the 40 yard dash is worth an average of 7 yards over the course of a season, there's much more to being a WR in the NFL than running in a straight line.

Psycho_X

Legend
Have said many times in the past months but I fully expect Stedman to be our number 1 WR week 1 of the season next year. And I think the coaching staff and front office know this as well and won't take a WR high in the draft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have said many times in the past months but I fully expect Stedman to be our number 1 WR week 1 of the season next year. And I think the coaching staff and front office know this as well and won't take a WR high in the draft.

he looks like a guy that can catch 10 passes a game. can't wait to see him catching passes from sam.

and he always looks like he's open. can't tell on tv if he's open on every play but when they throw the ball to him he's always got heaps of seperation. but also can make the tough catch. that's the kind of wr you want on your team.

jap

Legend
One out of every four catches in his final collegiate year was a TD. Does anything else need to be said?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
He may well be our week 1 WR1 and I would be happy if he was. I have always liked the hard working, humble player rather than the "look at me" guys. That said, how much easier does Bailey's job become if we can run Sammy Watkins out on the other side?

Psycho_X

Legend
He may well be our week 1 WR1 and I would be happy if he was. I have always liked the hard working, humble player rather than the "look at me" guys. That said, how much easier does Bailey's job become if we can run Sammy Watkins out on the other side?

I agree, I'm not opposed to that idea at all. For me it depends on what happens with Saffold in the offseason and the rest of the o-line. If Saffold leaves and Dahl/Wells are cap casualties I'll be mighty nervous about our o-line more than WR at that point. But yeah it would be sweet adding Watkins to that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

By mid season it became apparent to most mediocre Ram observers that Stedman Bailey was the most complete WR in Ram uniform. I would have no issues with the starting base offense of Austin/Bailey/Cook. with the other 3 young Ram receivers(Quick/Pettis/Givens) come in with relief, with the pounding punishing run game unit.

I agree, I'm not opposed to that idea at all. For me it depends on what happens with Saffold in the offseason and the rest of the o-line. If Saffold leaves and Dahl/Wells are cap casualties I'll be mighty nervous about our o-line more than WR at that point. But yeah it would be sweet adding Watkins to that.

I not 100% opposed to what my fellow BigRamFan has said with the prospect Watkins as the 2nd overall pick, but it would signal & send off alarms to me that Sneads/Fishers past two years worth of decisions on their use of the priceless Rams high & mid high draft selections on a good size bundle of WR's has not brought with this expenditure failure the fulfillment of the require needs @ WR. These alarms would be going off rather loudly in Ram fans heads that selecting another after another after another WR indicates trending & pending failure on their(Snead/Fisher) part in upgrading this WR unit.

With Sam back @ QB the receivers listed above and the new found pounding RB's tandem (Stacy/Cunningham) along with a combo youthful RB relievers (Richardson/Pead), working with the excellent run blocking skills of TE/H-back youth combo of Cory Harkey & Lance Kendricks these areas are pretty much fully set. Its the OL wall that has gaping size holes in it. Saffold is not the savior of this OL as most seem to think...I disagree totally that it all depends of Saffold resigning. He is just one part of many that has to be addressed. Saffold sadly is " pending injury fixing to happen player". You certainly do not want me to drag up his past 3 yr injury history. Saffold can not remain healthy & on the field period.

I know of no reason to spend what few cap dollars the Rams have on resigning current poor overall performing or damaged OL'ers like OT/OG Chris Williams, OG Shelley Smith, OG Harvey Dahl & OC Scott Wells meaning the Rams OL unit is in vastly more need than any other offensive unit period. Ignoring this fact spells doom for this Ram teams winning chances in 2014 & into the future. The selection of Watkins does nothing to change this fact.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Bonifay - I agree mostly with all of this, and I would not take Watkins at #2 overall. I would, however, in a trade down scenario (ideally 2 trade downs ending up picking at #6) then take Watkins. In my perfect scenario that would have us again picking at 13 with three 2nd rounders in our pocket. I would then attempt to package #13 to move back up to grab, ideally, Robinson but would take J. Mathews if Robinson is gone.

This would still leave us two 2nd rounders to grab DT (A. Donald?) and the best FS/CB or OG available. Also, I don't think picking Watkins necessarily admits to any previous failure but indicates a commitment to developing a championship caliber offense.

ausmurp

Starter
2) Bailey, who left WVU with a year of eligibility remaining, led the country with 25 touchdowns among his 114 receptions in 2012 — the third-highest total in NCAA FBS history — and broke Michael Crabtree's Big 12 record of 22 touchdown grabs in 2007 (Crabtree, too, was coached by Holgorsen in college). No active college player has reached Bailey's 41 career touchdown grabs."

You have to wonder, what would've happened if Bailey stayed for his senior yr? We would've drafted Tavon still. the draft after the 3rd rd would've shaken out a bit differently, perhaps we find a way to get Keenan Allen - not my point though. My point is, if Bailey again recorded over 100 catches, for over 1200 yds, with over 10 tds, where would he be in terms of the WR big board for this draft???

I think he would be put before Marquise Lee, projected as a 1-2 rd pick. So from that stand point, we really did get a steal. I think Bailey can be a huge contributor in 2014.

Ramifications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
By mid season it became apparent to most mediocre Ram observers that Stedman Bailey was the most complete WR in Ram uniform. I would have no issues with the starting base offense of Austin/Bailey/Cook. with the other 3 young Ram receivers(Quick/Pettis/Givens) come in with relief, with the pounding punishing run game unit.

I not 100% opposed to what my fellow BigRamFan has said with the prospect Watkins as the 2nd overall pick, but it would signal & send off alarms to me that Sneads/Fishers past two years worth of decisions on their use of the priceless Rams high & mid high draft selections on a good size bundle of WR's has not brought with this expenditure failure the fulfillment of the require needs @ WR. These alarms would be going off rather loudly in Ram fans heads that selecting another after another after another WR indicates trending & pending failure on their(Snead/Fisher) part in upgrading this WR unit.

With Sam back @ QB the receivers listed above and the new found pounding RB's tandem (Stacy/Cunningham) along with a combo youthful RB relievers (Richardson/Pead), working with the excellent run blocking skills of TE/H-back youth combo of Cory Harkey & Lance Kendricks these areas are pretty much fully set. Its the OL wall that has gaping size holes in it. Saffold is not the savior of this OL as most seem to think...I disagree totally that it all depends of Saffold resigning. He is just one part of many that has to be addressed. Saffold sadly is " pending injury fixing to happen player". You certainly do not want me to drag up his past 3 yr injury history. Saffold can not remain healthy & on the field period.

I know of no reason to spend what few cap dollars the Rams have on resigning current poor overall performing or damaged OL'ers like OT/OG Chris Williams, OG Shelley Smith, OG Harvey Dahl & OC Scott Wells meaning the Rams OL unit is in vastly more need than any other offensive unit period. Ignoring this fact spells doom for this Ram teams winning chances in 2014 & into the future. The selection of Watkins does nothing to change this fact.

I'm torn between Watkins and Robinson (or Matthews) with the earlier pick. Initially favoring Watkins, increasingly I'm leaning to Robinson. Depending how far we move down, if there is a trade, that decision may ultimately be made for us, though if Fisher and Snead have a clear preference for one of them, that could constrain how far down they move. But I do think we could make a case for either.

A few areas I disagree with the above. Givens was a fourth round pick, not exactly a priceless expenditure of draft capital. Occasionally you get difference makers here (Sherman a fifth rounder), but that isn't typical. As to what Rams fans think, we don't want a HC and front office that would base decisions on that. The bottom line is, if they think Robinson helps most, they should do that, if Watkins, draft him. Part of what is appealing to me about Watkins is that if we get him, we won't need to keep getting another after another after another WR. We will be done for a long time.

Bailey was a third, and a low third at that, practically a fourth, so not a massive, crippling expenditure of draft capital. Austin was a high pick, but he was the team's only first round pick since Holt 15 years ago, so it isn't like we are the Lions. Speaking of which, many thought DET shouldn't take Calvin Johnson after varying degrees of misses or catastrophic busts with other top 10 WRs Rogers, Williams and BMW in nearly as many years. While they made a lot of mistakes there, not taking possibly the greatest physical specimen at the position ever would in retrospect have been compounding that mistake. Also, Austin, for all his strengths, isn't a prototypical WR1, but as a complement to one (1A and 1B?), he could perhaps be more fully unleashed with more space to operate in, where he is at his most dangerous.

Teams do have more than one great WR with success at times. Swann and Stallworth. Rice and Taylor. Bruce and Holt. Harrison and Wayne. Carter and Moss. Boldin and Fitzgerald. ATL had White and added Julio Jones (they had to pay a king's ransom to move up, we could trade DOWN and still get Watkins). DEN already had Thomas, Decker and the TE Thomas, and added Welker. SEA had pretty good WRs in Rice and Taint, and coughed up a first round pick for Harvin, than paid him like a top 5 WR.

Quick could still pan out, but I'm not holding my breath (and with Bailey's ascendancy, he may well get less opportunity going forward, which could make his job to break out even more difficult going forward). So he is the most egregious mistake among the four WRs picks in the Fisher/Snead era. But no team is perfect. SF was two plays from winning the Super Bowl last year, and being in it this year, yet they have burned recent picks on WR Jenkins and RB James (first and second round picks). We have to weigh the OVERALL draft record. When they trade down and get Ogletree, Bailey and Stacy (one of the sixths used for him, anyways), that creates a lot of good will to counterbalance a possible miss on Quick (and the unfortunate mishandling of the DAL second rounder in 2012).

Just this year they got five starters in Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Bailey and Stacy, and that could become six with Jones. That is staggeringly good. The haul from the RGIII trade is Brockers, Jenkins, Ogletree, Bailey, Stacy... AND, last but not least, the 2014 1.2, which could of course be spun off into more picks (possibly CLEs two firsts, a 2015 first, multiple day two picks, multiple trade down possibilities?), and STILL yield Robinson or Watkins. The Rams are virtually guaranteed of six starters, and with further judicious trade downs (which Snead and Fisher have proven adept at), that number could grow to seven, eight or more. Think about that. On a roster with 22 combined starters, close to a third or more of our starters could be the product of the RGIII trade!

So if we are weighing the good and bad of Fisher and Snead's draft record, it has to be overwhelmingly, resoundingly viewed as a positive (albeit with some missteps like Quick and Pead).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
True dat. I think the cone and shuttle tell more.