Staley drawing lots of interest

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Scheme and coaching can't help much when a team is running at will and able to stand in the pocket with nearly no pressure on the QB. The games are often won in the offseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Staley is young. Look how long Saleh had to wait. Saleh is closing in on the Jets job supposedly after a few good years in San Francisco.

Staley has been great and has the entire defense playing well. However some GMs may say- He has AD and Jalen. Plus the DLine is loaded ( I give a ton of credit to Henderson). He has a loaded secondary too. It’s not like he made chicken soup out of chicken shit.
You callin AD a chicken??? :biggrin:

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
Today could not have helped his resume.

Guys, he's already had interviews and has more lined up.

If owners judged a candidate solely by a disappointing finish, no one would ever get that HC job. Their interest is based in what he did the whole year, not just what happened in the last game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If owners judged a candidate solely by a disappointing finish, no one would ever get that HC job. Their interest is based in what he did the whole year, not just what happened in the last game.
Exactly, look at the 2016 'Skins. Needed a win to make playoffs and the offense crapped the bed. 3 turnovers, only 10 points. The OC for the Skins made out ok, landed himself a sweet HC job.....

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have to wonder how all this head coaching job interest took away from his preparation for this game. Based on this game, I don't think many teams would want him including the Rams. What about waiting until a teams season is over before showing interest in one of their coaches..

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about waiting until a teams season is over before showing interest in one of their coaches..
It seems odd to me that the NFL doesn't do that: stop all personnel and coaching moves/interviews until the day AFTER the Super Bowl. Doesn't Baseball do it that way?

TXRams86

The Infamous
Guys, he's already had interviews and has more lined up.

Can’t argue with you here, good post. But to play devils advocate here we can also say that Staley’s body of work as a defensive coordinator is only one year on paper that ended in quite a disaster. Some teams might be unwilling to jump the gun and hire him based on the fact that he only has the one year under his belt. This is why I think guys like Saleh tend to stick around for a few years - to show consistency and that Staley didn’t just inherit a talent rich defensive roster that underperformed under Wade. Plus there’s also the shift to wanting offensive minded head coaches. Look at which teams are still in the playoffs and what side of the ball their HC specializes in.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Rat bastard Chargers bringing Staley in for 2nd interview with them, not a good sign for us. Thankfully there is still some that haven't had a chance to interview once. Though does smell of , "we want this guy, but will interview the others for due diligence."

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Id like to keep Staley another year atleast but if we do lose him im confident in McVay to find another sharp mind to replace him.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Id like to keep Staley another year atleast but if we do lose him im confident in McVay to find another sharp mind to replace him.

I would also hate to lose Staley but I am also totally confident that there will be a lot of totally qualified candidates wanting to work for Sean McVay and the Rams!!!

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Rat bastard Chargers bringing Staley in for 2nd interview with them, not a good sign for us. Thankfully there is still some that haven't had a chance to interview once. Though does smell of , "we want this guy, but will interview the others for due diligence."

If the Daboll rumors are true, less worries about Staley becoming a Tenant.

Daboll is a favorite to replace Anthony Lynn as the Chargers’ next head coach, a person with knowledge of the situation who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly confirmed Saturday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People acting like losing to the Packers in the playoffs is some sort of stain on what was a remarkable season for Staley... C'mon man. The guy is a fine defensive mind. I hope you're right that he doesn't get a job but even if he doesn't I guarantee you he remains a top name on head coaching lists around the league.

Whether you get a job in this part of the year has more to do with your projected staff and your interview than it does how you exited the playoffs.

Ellard80

Legend
I pray the packers game is goign to make other teams shy from STaley.. but mostly i think he doesn't have a long enough track record yet.

I'm feeling like he will be back.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I pray the packers game is goign to make other teams shy from STaley.. but mostly i think he doesn't have a long enough track record yet.

I'm feeling like he will be back.
I agree with you, with one year under his belt he doesn't have much to show for in terms of consistency. Yes he had a very successful year as our DC this year but it's not like he inherited a bottom of the barrel defensive roster. We have a TON of talent across the board on defense. I'm sure some teams would like to see if he can consistently reproduce that success, at least for another year. But what do I know, I'm not a member of an NFL front office so I could be completely off the mark.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If somehow Staley stays it's going to be a huge windfall for us. Trying to keep my hopes from getting too high here.

Hopefully Spanos prioritizes an offensive mind for his young QB. That fucking lazy piece of shit.

Also I'm curious which staff members, if any, Staley plans to bring with him. Does he have O'Connell as his OC with full playcalling duties? I presume McVay would allow that given the play calling job upgrade but maybe not. Sure would love to see Staley's projected staff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So looking at the list it seems there are 3 possibilities remaining...

* Chargers will have Staley in for 2nd interview. Threat level: high. Positive spin would be that they should be looking at an offensive mind given the youth of their QB but I don't think Spanos has the nuts to wait it out for Daboll who I recall hearing they liked. IMO that job is Garrett vs Staley.

* Texans on the interview list for Staley. Threat level: low. If they plan to trade their QB then I would think the offensive priority is higher. But even if they keep him I expect them to hire Bienemy to make him happy. I think he'd throw a fit if they go after a DC type.

* Eagles are listed as planning to interview Staley. Threat level: low. Whoever they hire is probably going to be chewed up and spat out in a year or two with their combination of high expectations and their shitty roster. I don't really view this is a big threat to steal our DC though certainly wouldn't rule it out.