Stafford’s third down stats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
These are eye popping.

19 for 27 on third downs, with 275 yards and 3 TDs

On third down pass attempts of specifically 10 yards or more he is 6/8 for 142 yards and a TD, 5 first downs and a 156.3 passer rating.

I’m sorry for not posting a link. I read it on The Athletic. Subs required.

Anyone subscribed should look at Mike Sandos weekly article and his comparison between Stafford and Kurt Warner through three games. Matthew is slightly ahead.

Tano

Legend
That's an impressive improvement.
Although Stafford deserves the majority of the reason for the improvement, I have to give a lot of the credit to Brian Allen and the rest of the OL.

I have not seen where we are in 3rd and long and have time to throw the pass since the 2018 season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Although Stafford deserves the majority of the reason for the improvement, I have to give a lot of the credit to Brian Allen and the rest of the OL.

I have not seen where we are in 3rd and long and have time to throw the pass since the 2018 season.
Man you are stubborn. :zany1:

Tano

Legend
Man you are stubborn. :zany1:
Yep

However, I absolutely hated our 3rd and long protection last year due to .... I am not going to say his name I am not going to say his name

But as I stated - I give the absolute majority of the improvement to Stafford.

I think that is a pretty good compromise.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yep

However, I absolutely hated our 3rd and long protection last year due to .... I am not going to say his name I am not going to say his name

But as I stated - I give the absolute majority of the improvement to Stafford.

I think that is a pretty good compromise.
Stafford is playing great. And Stafford no doubt deserves credit for altering plays and blocking schemes. But...

It is absolutely no slight to Stafford to recognize that the oline is giving him time to pass on straight drop backs, not play action, whether it is third down, third down and long, or going deep at any time. All with a minimal running game (until late).

It's a stunning improvement. It's taken much of the motion/play action/ deception game off the table. Instead the Rams now have a pure power, in your face passing game.

Recommend the brief Whitworth interview on Cowherd in another thread for his comments on the pass protection.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
That insane and you can see it on the field, especially in the RZ. Dont want to turn this into a bash Goff thread, but the difference is jaw dropping. I have yet to see that stupid infamous 3 and long bubble screen that McVay loved to call, and defenses were always ready for. Now its fuck it, throw a bomb to DJax. :clap:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
May not be an exact comparison but Stafford and the Rams is reminding me of Jim Plunkett and the Raiders.

Plunkett was hot coming out of college but in the 70s played for 2 bad teams early in his career, the Patriots and 49ers. They were so bad it almost ruined him. Then he gets a break when the Raiders pick him up. He warms the bench for 2 seasons and is almost forgotton. Then in 1980 the starter gets hurt and Plunkett gets put in and he starts to gel with the team. I've heard that the Raiders played better for Plunkett than they did for Stabler before he left the Raiders. Played better for him. That's where I see the comparison the most. These guys love Stafford, they don't want to let him down. They see much of the work that he puts into the team and love the results. Ending of the Plunkett story he wins 2 SBs for those Raiders. I would love to see that happen here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stafford is playing great. And Stafford no doubt deserves credit for altering plays and blocking schemes. But...

It is absolutely no slight to Stafford to recognize that the oline is giving him time to pass on straight drop backs, not play action, whether it is third down, third down and long, or going deep at any time. All with a minimal running game (until late).

It's a stunning improvement. It's taken much of the motion/play action/ deception game off the table. Instead the Rams now have a pure power, in your face passing game.

Recommend the brief Whitworth interview on Cowherd in another thread for his comments on the pass protection.
I’ll add that Stafford has been masterful at getting defenses to show their hand presnap then he adjusts the play. It’s helpful to the entire offense. Line included.

Tano

Legend
That insane and you can see it on the field, especially in the RZ. Dont want to turn this into a bash Goff thread, but the difference is jaw dropping. I have yet to see that stupid infamous 3 and long bubble screen that McVay loved to call, and defenses were always ready for. Now its fuck it, throw a bomb to DJax. :clap:
Yeah I hated that play on 3rd down. But that was more the OL's fault for us being forced to call that play.

I just want to stress that they are just doing awesome this year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I hated that play on 3rd down. But that was more the OL's fault for us being forced to call that play.

I just want to stress that they are just doing awesome this year.

Four are pretty much the same as last year so far.

The improvement at center is probably a mixture of Allen being physically better and Stafford taking up some of the mental slack to allow Allen to thrive.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that it's statistical or anything but I personally feel a lot more confident this year when we get into any third and 10+ situations than I did last year.

Tano

Legend
Four are pretty much the same as last year so far.

The improvement at center is probably a mixture of Allen being physically better and Stafford taking up some of the mental slack to allow Allen to thrive.
That's very possible