Stafford Ready to Roll

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Let's see how his arm is in December. Obviously, there is room for optimism but his past injury history would have gotten him released if he was anyone else. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed because right now he's the Ram's best option to winning. That is a scary thought and why they must safeguard their future plans by getting a good QB2. Everyone sees the need for another edge, or CB. Hell people are ranting about an RB3.

I would love them to have someone like Clayton Tune that could take over late in games that have basically been won to save Stafford from unnecessary wear and tear. A QB that can start a game or two with whom the team has the confidence to win should that arm flare up.

All their plans for 2024 and beyond mean nothing without a good QB. Concussions are cumulative that is a fact. CTE and other TBI type injuries prove it. The question isn't about how good Stafford is or what he means to the team's success, the question is how long can he play effectively. IMO the clock began ticking last year.

IMO the plan should be to get that good QB2 this year who can play the position long term, i.e. to backstop Stafford. Then next year to grab the next QB who will be the franchise QB of the future. When you look at Stafford's contract the Rams assumed they would need an exit strategy and so they built in one starting after 2024 when they would save $13.5M by moving on from Matt. IMO the Rams got Stafford hoping he could play through 4 years. That's why grabbing the next franchise QB in the draft next year makes sense. It gives them a full year to make sure they can develop him in McVay's system.

Yeah QB2 this year makes sense. We saw the value of what a good QB2 could mean when they played Mayfield. A 3rd or 5th round QB could end up a second or even a first round trade bait in a few years as well. So do they take a QB2 this year? Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they took McKee or Tune if they drop either in the second or third round. A QB at 36? It wouldn't surprise me. The Rams have options at edge on the roster, with talent to be available in the third round. But the Rams have absolutely no options at QB except Stafford. That is the Ram's biggest vulnerability IMO. McKee might not drop but I'd be surprised if Tune isn't on the board at 36 and they are working him out pre-draft. IMO McKee can be a franchise talent in the right system like McVay's which values a pocket passer over a running QB.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I imagine Stafford has to take it easy on Coach on that tennis court. :laugh1:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In this clip Schrager says Stafford and McVay have been playing tennis multiple times per week.

THAT sounds like a healthy Stafford.

View: https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1645915087507697664?s=20

Excellent take by Schraegs here.

I expected last season to be Stafford playing fully comfortable in the offense, with two full camps under McVay. I expected him to elevate his game but of course that didn't happen for numerous reasons most to do with injuries up front and uncertainty with some of his pieces. But why not this year. Why not have this year be his arrival as that calm and confident passer who has full mastery of this offense.

All it's going to take is health up front, a few guys stepping up on the OL and in that WR room, and the Rams not being fucking stupid with their RB depth as per usual. It is entirely possible we see 9 play balls out in 2023.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I never really thought Stafford was all that hurt. I always thought it was an OL issue.

I can see him having a great year provided the OL can hold up for 3 seconds at a time.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I wouldn't "Hope" the O line can hang together. If Stafford is the guy go OLine in the draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My worry is that OL. Hopefully they're ready to roll.
I believe with three new starters along the Offensive Front all will be good.
ti112606.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Matthew Stafford Has Brutally Honest Admission On His Age After Missing Most Of 2022 Season​

Matthew Stafford has spent 14 seasons in the NFL.

And while retirement whispers surrounding the Rams quarterback certainly made the rounds this spring, all signs now appear to point to him suiting up for a 15th season in 2023.

Ahead of what he hopes to be a bounce back season after an injury-riddled 2022, Stafford spoke with reporters on Monday and revealed that he feels good - but perhaps not quite as good as he did a decade ago.

"I mean, I felt really confident I was coming back," Stafford said. "And I feel great, I feel healthy... I’m not 25, but I definitely feel good."

Stafford also appeared to address the retirement rumors surrounding his name this offseason during today's sit-down with the media.

"I feel like more people were less confident in that than I was," Stafford said. "But I was ready to go, ready to play, as soon as I was cleared."

After winning Super Bowl LVI to put a bow on an incredible 2021 season, Stafford and the Rams were hit with a ton of injuries last year and suffered one of the biggest Super Bowl hangovers in modern NFL history.

But with a presumably healthier Stafford under center in 2023, the Rams will look to contend for yet another Lombardi Trophy this fall.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is what I've been telling the nay sayers, that the offense is intact. With or without Allen Robinson. What they lacked was a true option at Y (slot) receiver. Atwell and Skowronek have emerged as viable Y receivers. As long as Stafford and Kupp are healthy this offense can beat teams. They have enough pieces on the defense to stop the downward trend if played properly, i.e. aggressively. I think they will add 3 key pieces to that defense, edge, CB and ILB. Morris has his 3 safeties in Fuller, Lake and Yeast. If he wants to play a Tampa Two the Rams can. They can have success playing it with the caveat that the DBs can't play it flat footed. They need to put themselves in position to jump the routes, i.e. improve their play and route recognition. Don't play read/react but play read/anticipate.

Murray, Watson, Jones and Dak don't belong on that list.

Yeah I have no doubt that Stafford is ready to roll. The problem is for how long? Last year finally put a chink in Matt's aura of being an ironman. That's why it would seem they are ready to draft a real QB2 to back him up.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams O might be intact, but the D certainly is not. The O can't do anything if the defense can't get off the field.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams O might be intact, but the D certainly is not. The O can't do anything if the defense can't get off the field.
This is why I expect a defensive draft. They need some love.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An OL is what keeps a D fresh.
It is beneficial no doubt. But philosophically I am of the mind that a great defense gets itself off the field.

Last edited: