Stafford Leaves Scrimmage With Tightness in Hamstring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
McVay has always said he believes scrimmages are superior to preseason and you can control game situations and get the work done you want to get done.
I understand but the players are not getting loosened up. Look at all the injuries. Is it just bad luck or is there a bigger issue with training?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The regular season is about 4 weeks away, when it will be root hog or die for 18 weeks plus playoffs. Is there something about playing half speed that makes players more susceptible to ticky tack injuries? Or are these injuries ones that might not be reported after real games because guys want to be on the field the next week?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I understand but the players are not getting loosened up. Look at all the injuries. Is it just bad luck or is there a bigger issue with training?
Last year we had very few injuries, no? Obviously there are things one needs to check about reducing injuries but it's a variable that mostly is just chance.

Last year, not just preseason, but almost all year we were crazy healthy (yes, even with Kupp), I expect a regression to more of the mean this year.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ESPN update today:

Rams 'being smart' with Stafford, expect him back next week​

play

• i

Sarah Barshop, ESPN Staff WriterAug 15, 2024, 06:49 PM ET

Despite dealing with tightness in his hamstring, Los Angeles Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford is expected to practice next week, head coach Sean McVay said on Thursday.
Stafford left Wednesday's joint practice against the Dallas Cowboys as a precaution and did not take part in the Rams' jog through on Thursday.

"He just felt a little something, so we're just being smart with him," McVay said. "That's really what it came to."

On Thursday, backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo took the reps in Stafford's place. Garoppolo, who signed with the Rams in March, is suspended for the first two games of the season for violating the NFL's performance-enhancing substances policy.
Neither Stafford nor Garoppolo will play in the preseason. Rams third-string quarterback Stetson Bennett started the Rams' preseason opener against the Cowboys, where he threw four interceptions before leading the team down the first for the game-winning touchdown.

In 15 games last season, Stafford completed 62.6% of his passes for 3,965 yards with 24 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sean McVay 'not concerned' about Matthew Stafford's hamstring​

play

• i

Sarah Barshop, ESPN Staff WriterAug 18, 2024, 02:53 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Rams head coach Sean McVay said he's not sure whether Matthew Stafford will practice on Monday but noted he's "not concerned" about the quarterback missing time because of hamstring tightness.
Stafford left the Rams' joint practice with the Dallas Cowboys last week and did not participate in the team's jog-through the next day as a precaution.

"I'm not concerned," McVay said. "I'm not. ... Do you want him to be able to get the work? Of course, but I'm not concerned based on what I understand the tightness is and erring on the safe side of caution for this week, if that's what we end up having to do."

During the second half of the joint practice on Wednesday and during the jog-through on Thursday, backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo took the reps in Stafford's place. Garoppolo, who signed with the Rams in March, is suspended for the first two games of the season for violating the NFL's performance-enhancing substances policy.

"He can throw and do some of those things, as far as just some of the movement, if he's feeling good ... So we haven't decided that yet," McVay said. "But the arrow is pointing up and he's feeling good as it relates to the hamstring tightness from last week."
In 15 games last season, Stafford completed 62.6% of his passes for 3,965 yards with 24 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's not concerned but you can bet Snead's at least looking at QBs right now. Question is whether they like any of them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not concerned but you can bet Snead's at least looking at QBs right now. Question is whether they like any of them.
I'd think that there isnt anyone out there right now who they'd have interest, otherwise they would have picked them up already. But they could have their eye on the waiver wire next week. The 2 game suspension really makes it tricky, vets on roster week 1 have their salary guaranteed for the season, so they really have to roll the dice game 1 with Bennett as QB2.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd think that there isnt anyone out there right now who they'd have interest, otherwise they would have picked them up already. But they could have their eye on the waiver wire next week. The 2 game suspension really makes it tricky, vets on roster week 1 have their salary guaranteed for the season, so they really have to roll the dice game 1 with Bennett as QB2.
Cuts are possible, given the proliferation of WCO weenies around the league. Whoever it is has to be versed in the gobbledeegook.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
coach can manage Bennett for 2 games if it comes to that. we will be fine. go rams.