St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So 2-4 more wins with Bradford you mean?

This is also a better team with even average defense for the first 6 game..... I wonder how many.

So feel free to spread the wealth hahaha

I agree.

I'd say 2 is fairly conservative with 4 bordering on a stretch. So yea, 2-4 more wins.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I agree.

I'd say 2 is fairly conservative with 4 bordering on a stretch. So yea, 2-4 more wins.

Aside from last week and KC, what games do the Rams win with Bradford that they wouldn't have won with Davis? Minnesota(absolute cluster fuck on both sides of the ball), Philly(Blocked punt and D dug the team into a huge hole), Dallas(Defense), SF part 1(Defense), were IMO, games that with Davis'/Hill's/Bradford's performance wouldn't have mattered.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That's what you said. I didn't put words in your mouth.

We can address the OL and draft a QB early. It's very possible.

Except all those teams took QBs when they were very bad. All but the Falcons took their QB with the #1 overall pick. As far as the bold is concerned, the Lions, Colts, and Panthers absolutely could not do that when they selected their QBs. Hell, the Panthers and Colts still can't do it.

If we make the playoffs, we're going to have to give up an arm and a leg to move up to draft a QB. Either that or we draft a guy in the late 1st round. I don't think that's a better scenario. Especially considering we have no idea what QBs will be available next year.

And you're way overrating Hill imo. I don't know what he's shown to inspire that sort of confidence.

Well, I'm overrating Hill. But you're overrating both our OL and this next QB draft class. And you did put words in my mouth. Enough beating a dead horse, we aren't going to agree whatsoever.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Aside from last week and KC, what games do the Rams win with Bradford that they wouldn't have won with Davis? Minnesota(absolute cluster freak on both sides of the ball), Philly(Blocked punt and D dug the team into a huge hole), Dallas(Defense), SF part 1(Defense), were IMO, games that with Davis'/Hill's/Bradford's performance wouldn't have mattered.
Dallas squeaked away with a 34-31 win and while many things contributed to the loss, the Austin Davis pick 6 in the 4th quarter sealed the deal, and I can about guarantee you that Bradford doesn't throw that interception. Yesterday's game would have definitely gone different with Bradford under center as he would have been able to make certain throws that Davis could not complete, especially the first interception to Peterson where the ball was severely underthrown to Givens. Those are two wins right there and this isn't even including other things like unnecessarily taking sacks which pushes the team out of field goal position or loses field position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aside from last week and KC, what games do the Rams win with Bradford that they wouldn't have won with Davis? Minnesota(absolute cluster freak on both sides of the ball), Philly(Blocked punt and D dug the team into a huge hole), Dallas(Defense), SF part 1(Defense), were IMO, games that with Davis'/Hill's/Bradford's performance wouldn't have mattered.

Arizona - Davis imploded in the 4th
Dallas - Davis imploded in the 4th(although Cook did drop that TD)
Philly - Maybe...might be a stretch because Davis played well...but he did hurt us with some costly fumbles
SF Part 1 - Davis completely fell apart in the second half...although the defense did us no favors either

Like I said, I think we win 2 for sure(Dallas and Arizona). The other two are possible...but maybe a stretch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I'm overrating Hill. But you're overrating both our OL and this next QB draft class. And you did put words in my mouth. Enough beating a dead horse, we aren't going to agree whatsoever.

No, I didn't. The quote backs up what I said.

I don't believe I am overrating our OL or the QB class. In fact, I am not very high on this QB class. Beyond Winston and Mariota, it does little for me. Hundley has a ton of developmental potential but he shouldn't play day 1. After Hundley, I want nothing to do with this class.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I could see Bradford hanging on to wins against Dallas, SF, and Arizona. All three of those games were obviously hurt by the defense letting in scores, but they also could have been put away with another score or two, but instead very costly turnovers, or the inability to have long drives or get easy points ended any chance to put the game away. Bradford is generally careful with the ball, so I don't think we have a lot of those turnovers.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No, I didn't. The quote backs up what I said.

I don't believe I am overrating our OL or the QB class. In fact, I am not very high on this QB class. Beyond Winston and Mariota, it does little for me. Hundley has a ton of developmental potential but he shouldn't play day 1. After Hundley, I want nothing to do with this class.
What's your gut tell you on Winston even coming out? Seems to me, staying in school one more year would help with his development on the field and keep him in an environment where he's relatively supported/less scrutinized.

Out of the guys that I've seen that could have potentially come out this year, the Michigan St. kid seemed like the best bet from top to bottom. Not that I'm in love with him but I like guys who look good with a program that isn't a juggernaut. For the most part, that seems to be a decent indicator of how they will perform against like competition.

Not to say that big program guys can't make it in the NFL but with QB's, it's way too much of a risk taking a guy who was surrounded with superior talent in college. It's always been a concern of mine for Bradford. Mariota and Winston seem like products of it too. It's difficult to evaluate an individual position, especially QB, when the opposition is so far outclassed in talent and especially depth.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think we beat ARZ, DAL, SF twice, and PHI with Sam. IDK what to do, now. I can't get over how all our eggs were in one basket and it fell before the season ever started.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It never ceases to amaze me how much better Bradford gets the longer he doesnt play. He would have won games that Davis lost? Sam had his own issue with the pick 6 last year, and against Dallas and Frisco last year he looked every bit as helpless as Davis has recently.
So for every KC and Arizona game where the flaws were out in full force, Im not so quick to just plug Sam in to the wins against San Fran or Seattle. Davis made some crucial plays there

Philly5

Rookie
How do you quantify the impact of losing our starting QB right before the season? Does the defense and OL play better with him there?

With SB8 and some luck I think we are in the 8 - 10 range most expected. Overall the division is not as strong.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It never ceases to amaze me how much better Bradford gets the longer he doesnt play. He would have won games that Davis lost? Sam had his own issue with the pick 6 last year, and against Dallas and Frisco last year he looked every bit as helpless as Davis has recently.
So for every KC and Arizona game where the flaws were out in full force, Im not so quick to just plug Sam in to the wins against San Fran or Seattle. Davis made some crucial plays there
When you're struggling, the guys on the bench always look better because until they actually go in, one can say they would have done better and it's impossible to be proven wrong. Same reasons why people want Hill in, or insist if a certain player or coach was replaced, everything would be a thousand times better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, that's a highly questionable stance to take. Davis did against Seattle what most people criticize Sam for...taking the short, quick safe throws. I have a hard time believing that Bradford would have been incapable of doing the same.

And against San Francisco? No way, Jose. Davis blew so many opportunities in that game. Sam wouldn't have had to be Peyton Manning to far out-done Davis.

Bradford isn't getting "better" the longer he doesn't play. The fact of the matter is that he's a much better QB than Davis.

He definitely would have won games that Davis lost and he would have won the games that Davis won too.

Yep, Bradford did have his flaws which is why I'm not going to argue that he would have won us the KC or Minnesota games. And I can admit that him beating both San Francisco(part 1) and Philly is likely a stretch.

But Dallas? Hell yes, I think we win against Dallas. Arizona? Absolutely.

And the games we did win? I didn't see Davis do anything in those games that Bradford couldn't have done. AND I did see Davis fail do a lot of things against San Francisco that Bradford could have done.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bradford had 4 INTs in 6+ games last year the one in Carolina was not on Bradford it was tipped at the LOS. Bradford was 5-2-1 against the NFCW in 2012 and 2013. Plugging him in to those wins against SF and Sea is not a stretch and he most like would have won the game against Sea in StL last year. He knows how to win in this division. This year with a big leads against Dallas and SF, Rams win going away.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sam Looks better the longer he stays out because the other rams qbs look worse the longer they stay in. Is pretty simple really.

Btw, hurry back sam.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I would love to see Barrett Jones get a shot, but if they don't give it to him would you guys feel comfortable at the C position without adding someone else not knowing what we have in Jones? We're talking an upgrade over Wells, not a jag.
This is my concern. You hear Jones name a lot, but when Wells is injured, it seems to me like Barnes is taking his place every time. And neither of them are starting over him, so it really doesn't speak to highly of them as potential replacements next year.

I really think we may see Wells back next year even with a high pick spent on the offensive line.

MegaRam88

Rookie
All I'm going to say is this. If Sam does play as a Ram next season he has to play guns blazing. If a line man or receiver does not do their assignment I would like to expect Sam to get in people's faces. After all his future lies on the players around him. I'm all for Sam as a Ram but he cannot be an elite QB without 10 other players doing their job at full potential.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yea, that's a highly questionable stance to take. Davis did aainst Seattle what most people criticize Sam for...taking the short, quick safe throws. I have a hard time believing that Bradford would have been incapable of doing the same.

And against San Francisco? No way, Jose. Davis blew so many opportunities in that game. Sam wouldn't have had to be Peyton Manning to far out-done Davis.

Bradford isn't getting "better" the longer he doesn't play. The fact of the matter is that he's a much better QB than Davis.

He definitely would have won games that Davis lost and he would have won the games that Davis won too.

Yep, Bradford did have his flaws which is why I'm not going to argue that he would have won us the KC or Minnesota games. And I can admit that him beating both San Francisco(part 1) and Philly is likely a stretch.

But Dallas? Hell yes, I think we win against Dallas. Arizona? Absolutely.

And the games we did win? I didn't see Davis do anything in those games that Bradford couldn't have done. AND I did see Davis fail do a lot of things against San Francisco that Bradford could have done.
I couldn't agree more. The problem with many is they think we're trying to say Sam would have come in and been a top 5 QB this season, and while I think he would have had a career year, the point of my argument is he would have easily done the things Austin Davis has done and then some. The most important thing, however, is Bradford would not have had all of these costly turnovers and taken the unnecessary sacks like Davis has. On top of that, Bradford was very good at mounting comebacks, one example being the first Arizona game last season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't agree more. The problem with many is they think we're trying to say Sam would have come in and been a top 5 QB this season, and while I think he would have had a career year, the point of my argument is he would have easily done the things Austin Davis has done and then some. The most important thing, however, is Bradford would not have had all of these costly turnovers and taken the unnecessary sacks like Davis has. On top of that, Bradford was very good at mounting comebacks, one example being the first Arizona game last season.

This is the biggest thing for me. Say what you will about Sam but the guy was money for us in 2012 and 2013 in the 4th quarter in close games.

Bradford in the 4th quarter in one score games(2012 and 2013):
55/88
62.5%
657 yards
7.5 YPA
6 TDs
2 Ints
98.5 QB Rating

Davis in the 4th quarter in one score games(2014):
24/41
58.5%
282 yards
6.9 YPA
1 TD
5 Ints
48.1 QB Rating

The Rams have played a lot of close games this year. I think that's where the greatest difference would be. Bradford seemed very comfortable in the 4th quarter in close games...even when trailing. Davis doesn't.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford won 3 of 7 starts last year with a defense that was playing better than the defense was playing this year. On top of that, of those 7 games 3 were against 3 of the worst teams in the game. The schedule thisnyear has been leaps and bounds harder.
So yeah, to just assume hed be good for any more wins than what we have is just dreaming. But by all means carry on.