Some possible reasons for the “slow” Ram FA, so far...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Take this fwiw, since it’s based on things that I’ve heard and read here and there. From sources I respect, however.

But, here goes...

Rams don’t need all that many FA’s, really. They have few “holes” at starting positions. And the draft will be counted on to fill a couple of them, at least.

I don’t think Wade wanted a Ngata or Poe type NT in the first place. I think he prefers smaller and quicker types. Second tier FA or later in the draft should suit him just fine.

Sounds like they really like Ebukam at one OLB. If so, scratch one OLB starter need off the list.

I suspect that they plan on taking the other needed OLB at #23 in the draft, but Barwin could be Plan B.

Barron just might be Wade’s preference for one ILB. Wouldn’t be my choice, but I’m no future HOF DC, soooo...

Wade historically has utilized ILB’s from deeper in the draft or FA. This draft is reportedly rich in such types later on, so that just might be the Ram plan.

Apparently, they flirted with Eifert. Personally, I’m glad that they were jilted. But it does indicate that McVay is determined to upgrade his TE corps, one way or another. None of us should be surprised by that at all. Stay tuned.

I am still hoping for a Sully signing. He was a top 10 C for us last year, so why not reward the guy with a commensurate contract for a couple of years? Would be difficult to replace his brains and experience. Sigh... Blythe might be an adequate consolation prize, and who knows? They might pluck a C that Kromer really likes in the draft. I’ll feel better once this is settled.

I guess they’re gonna roll with some combo of second tier FA, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, or later draft pick to replace Watkins. My money is on Reynolds ( but not very much money).

That’s my take on filling starter “holes”.

So, like I said, three things seem apparent to me.

First, not really that many holes need to be filled, certainly by comparison with last offseason.

Second, they likely prefer to utilize second tier FA’s for new starters and not very many, at that.

Third, the above two probably means that we will see a fairly slow Ram FA period early on, although many more will ultimately come as needed depth is added.

Time for patience, I guess.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Are these sources you have or is this a summary of our off-season thru social media outlets? Just curious

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't agree that it's been "Slow" so far for the Rams. they brought in Peters, Talib, and Shields, and then the have been concentrating on signing our own FA's like NRC etc.!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Love your takes.....always got a comment or 2 for ya 43...
I don’t think Wade wanted a Ngata or Poe type NT in the first place. I think he prefers smaller and quicker types.
Not true....they had one in Denver...pork chop...pot roast...something...couldn't afford him...leads me to think they'll get one on the cheap in the draft....young and hungry....anybody nicknamed pan drippings in the draft???
Apparently, they flirted with Eifert. Personally, I’m glad that they were jilted. But it does indicate that McVay is determined to upgrade his TE corps, one way or another. None of us should be surprised by that at all.
Shouldn't be...but a few guys think that Everett looks like Dave Casper.....LOL

I hope they keep throwing some ammo at this position till McVay gets what he wants....TE's are huge....and should be huge...stop with the 6'2 TE's...get one 6'6 that they LIKE.
I am still hoping for a Sully signing. He was a top 10 C for us last year, so why not reward the guy with a commensurate contract for a couple of years? Would be difficult to replace his brains and experience. Sigh...
Makes no sense....in this instance I gotta go OleSchool....I guess they know what they're doing....which appears on the outside of, "hey, we're cheap"....
I like that FA Jensen.....and of course...a REAL center in the Draft....dude outta Iowa.....think there are 3 that can start right away....probably about 3 or 4 others if we look at guards that have played center.
I guess they’re gonna roll with some combo of second tier FA, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, or later draft pick to replace Watkins. My money is on Reynolds ( but not very much money).
I still like Thomas.....best player on bench (BPOB)....Reynolds showed he couldn't handle any time....and I thought....I THOUGHT...Thomas displayed some serious talent when he started vs SF.....hell, he was the only backup on offense to do so....maybe one of those linemen....maybe

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think the Rams are in a great spot in the draft. With upgrade values at ILB, OLB, DE, NT and WR, some player will fall to them or a trade will prevent itself with a QB hungry team.

I half expect the Rams to make qualifying offers to Sully, Barwin, and our Easley that was injured this year. I also expect us to test the waters with Bowman, Preston Brown, and a couple others as well.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I don't agree that it's been "Slow" so far for the Rams. they brought in Peters, Talib, and Shields, and then the have been concentrating on signing our own FA's like NRC etc.!

Exactly. We traded for two of the best corners in the league, re-signed one of the best nickel corners in the league, brought in Shields and tagged Joyner. We still have Webster, too. Oh, and we also restructured Tavon.

My opinion, we won free agency by not participating in the madness.

I would like us to bring back Sully and kick the tires on Bowman, tho.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love your takes.....always got a comment or 2 for ya 43...
Not true....they had one in Denver...pork chop...pot roast...something...couldn't afford him...leads me to think they'll get one on the cheap in the draft....young and hungry....anybody nicknamed pan drippings in the draft???

Shouldn't be...but a few guys think that Everett looks like Dave Casper.....LOL

I hope they keep throwing some ammo at this position till McVay gets what he wants....TE's are huge....and should be huge...stop with the 6'2 TE's...get one 6'6 that they LIKE.

Makes no sense....in this instance I gotta go OleSchool....I guess they know what they're doing....which appears on the outside of, "hey, we're cheap"....
I like that FA Jensen.....and of course...a REAL center in the Draft....dude outta Iowa.....think there are 3 that can start right away....probably about 3 or 4 others if we look at guards that have played center.
I still like Thomas.....best player on bench (BPOB)....Reynolds showed he couldn't handle any time....and I thought....I THOUGHT...Thomas displayed some serious talent when he started vs SF.....hell, he was the only backup on offense to do so....maybe one of those linemen....maybe

Always a pleasure, Champ.

I’m always hoping to spark a nice discussion with such posts.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could be because they told us it wouldn’t be a big free agency year for us.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Are these sources you have or is this a summary of our off-season thru social media outlets? Just curious

Just a few tidbits from my weekly beers with Demoff, Snead, and McVay, NERamsFan. Lol.

But seriously?

Things from various interviews, beat writer articles, pundits, and a few respected and knowledgeable posters on multiple message boards over the course of months.

Like I posted originally, just take it fwiw.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think he was being sarcastic about it being "slow", hence the quotations.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two #1 corners sounds good so far.
I can't remember the last time we had one.

James Otto

Starter
Don't see what's slow about it ... let's take a look:

QB - no need
RB - no need - TA is the change of pace back
WR - no need - they believe in Thomas and Reynolds
TE - maybe a tad iffy - all hinges on Everett's development and what Hemmingway brings
OL - need to resign Sullivan - draft depth
DL - maybe need to look at NT depth - DL was not the issue with the run - most of that was Ogletree and early system growing pains
LB - Ebukam has one spot and I think you can pencil Littleton in as a starter. Barwin is likely to come back. Draft an impact player here. We have decent rotational edge rushers.
CB - no need
S - need some depth, can find it in the draft

Just don't see the FA needs. So I don't understand what is slow about it.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Don't see what's slow about it ... let's take a look:

QB - no need
RB - no need - TA is the change of pace back
WR - no need - they believe in Thomas and Reynolds
TE - maybe a tad iffy - all hinges on Everett's development and what Hemmingway brings
OL - need to resign Sullivan - draft depth
DL - maybe need to look at NT depth - DL was not the issue with the run - most of that was Ogletree and early system growing pains
LB - Ebukam has one spot and I think you can pencil Littleton in as a starter. Barwin is likely to come back. Draft an impact player here. We have decent rotational edge rushers.
CB - no need
S - need some depth, can find it in the draft

Just don't see the FA needs. So I don't understand what is slow about it.

Agreed. Might be why @Rams43 put "slow" in quotes. :cautious:

Ram65

Legend
It's been slow after the trades. Other than NRC getting a deal nothing has changed. Rams have little choice but, to spend wisely with high price contracts of Donald, Gurley and Goff in the near future. Forgot Rams keep Tavon.

I don’t think Wade wanted a Ngata or Poe type NT in the first place. I think he prefers smaller and quicker types. Second tier FA or later in the draft should suit him just fine.

NT is a mystery at this point. While Wade has gone to smaller quicker NT in recent years he has used the bigger types in the past. Would have liked Ngata but, he is short term and short time player at 34 years of age. Poe was too much money for his play.

I don't know if they like any free agents remaining. You have to think they like Tim Settle. He is quick and big but could use the NFL weight room to shed the fat belly. The question is where will they draft him? Trade down some but, not too much. If they take him then ILBer Evans and edge rusher Landry are off the table but, they might be anyway. Which leads to how are they going to fill those spots?

Sounds like they really like Ebukam at one OLB. If so, scratch one OLB starter need off the list.

I suspect that they plan on taking the other needed OLB at #23 in the draft, but Barwin could be Plan B.

Barron just might be Wade’s preference for one ILB. Wouldn’t be my choice, but I’m no future HOF DC, soooo...

Looks like Barron stays and the young guns have to step up. They still need help. Who and where is it coming from? Can't fill in three spots with only a first rounder and no second. Is NT Settle going to be the first pick? Who is left in free agency to fill these spots?

Funny I think Thomas is getting less attention this off season than he deserves. The hit of camp until he got the future suspension. He showed the last week of the season that he can make plays 3-73 yards or so....

All in all it's a little nerve racking trying to figure out what then next moves are going to be. The scouting department has to come up with some gems after round one. The Rams have to find players and value outside of the NOT SO FREE free agency market or at least outside the high priced isles.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

No signings since FA “officially” began, Dave.

MP and Peters were trades, not FA’s.

Ditto Quinn and Ogletree.

So we’ve had only Shields and NRC as incoming FA’s, right? And we’re now into the 3rd day of FA?

I would call that relatively slow.

I was trying to offer reasons why in my OP.