Some PFF grades/ Bruss gets Blutarsky pass blocking grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Limmer is certainly doing better than Bruss. But PFF has him at 44.3 in pass blocking which is far below average. He's around 65 in run blocking which is average.

Bruss is a 7.2 this year in pass protection...which is as you say shitting the bed.

The OL should have substantial improvement when the two actual starters get back.
PFF doesn't grade the calls for the line, which Limmer seems to have been handling pretty well of late. Not that I've been nuking this, either, but it seemed like in his first couple games I noticed some corrections (Stafford calling them at times). Now it seems like he's got it, but we have an execution issue at LG and the interior as a whole has been iffy in pass pro.

So even though he's not great in pass pro I have to say overall he looks like a good rookie C. Which is to say he's run blocking well, calling the protections at a reasonable level I'd guess, and still learning with the pass pro. I can't imagine what the interior of this line would look like if they hadn't drafted him.

What I would like to see is what this line looks like with Avila replacing Bruss at LG. It is quite possible that we see them take a big step forward if we can get Avila back to solve that LG role.

Tano

Legend
PFF doesn't grade the calls for the line, which Limmer seems to have been handling pretty well of late. Not that I've been nuking this, either, but it seemed like in his first couple games I noticed some corrections (Stafford calling them at times). Now it seems like he's got it, but we have an execution issue at LG and the interior as a whole has been iffy in pass pro.

So even though he's not great in pass pro I have to say overall he looks like a good rookie C. Which is to say he's run blocking well, calling the protections at a reasonable level I'd guess, and still learning with the pass pro. I can't imagine what the interior of this line would look like if they hadn't drafted him.

What I would like to see is what this line looks like with Avila replacing Bruss at LG. It is quite possible that we see them take a big step forward if we can get Avila back to solve that LG role.
I was trying to say that too in my post. I think getting Avila or Jackson back would dramatically improve the pass protection.

Psycho_X

Legend
When people say PFF are rubbish, it’s because of stuff like this. Each of them missed far more than one tackle.
Can't miss a tackle if you don't really try and tackle.
Think About It GIF by Identity

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

I agree with you. Limmer is a find for a 6th round pick. They'd be in deep trouble if they didn't have him.

That said, I think Jackson comes back before Avila. I'd like to see what the line looks like with both starters back.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
When people say PFF are rubbish, it’s because of stuff like this. Each of them missed far more than one tackle.

Agreed, both Reeder and Rose missed a tackle on the same TD play to Kraft. Just right there is two missed tackles.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Do they count a missed tackle if they are too far out of play or if they touch a player and then don't tackle.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree with you. Limmer is a find for a 6th round pick. They'd be in deep trouble if they didn't have him.

That said, I think Jackson comes back before Avila. I'd like to see what the line looks like with both starters back.
Couple things here re: Jackson and his return.

First I am not sure he's got what you want at Center. What we paid for is his mobility at guard. The Rams swapping him to Center after looking at Avila there through camp insinuates to me that in some combination the two of them in those roles were not good enough. Who was most at fault I have no idea, since these guys don't play in preseason. But I suspect it was Avila struggling with the calls and overall underwhelming at the pivot. Also it is possible Avila of last season is something they think is better than what Jackson was showing at LG. So Jackson sliding to Center was a very bad indicator, as we discussed at that time, in spite of the Rams spin on how it was about supporting the LT.

One interesting wrinkle here is who returns first. And whoever it is undoubtedly slides into LG because our play there has not been up to snuff. But once they both return, I am confident Avila takes LG. Jackson, since at this point the pass pro with Limmer has been subpar, will get a run at the pivot, but the Rams will have a floor of expectation that he must exceed otherwise Limmer will regain the job. Can Jackson run the calls without being an additional burden on the QB? We will see.

Secondly OL is a unit where the sum of the five can exceed their individual ability. This has always been the case with OL when you get five dudes playing on one sheet of music with consistency. Reading the situation and reacting as one unit is extremely powerful but it is hard to get to that level. I keep pointing out how the Rams even in their Super Bowl seasons under McVay had half a season of their lines gelling before they finally emerged in the stretch run as one unit. And I blame this on lack of game snaps in preseason. Whether I am right or wrong on that doesn't really matter, either, because for this OL every time you move dudes around you set back that arrival date where they play on one sheet of music. So we're about to see hopefully a master class in that by the Rams. And if not, then we may not see this group get it together until they are out of it.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This may have been said already but I think the combination of Bruss and Limmer may not be working well together. The two interior linemen have to be able to communicate quickly and effortlessly and these young, inexperienced guys are probably getting beat by stunts and/or communication mistakes. Like the D-lineman in Green Bay who ran, untouched, at Stafford right up the middle.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Alaric looking like a wall.. as I've been predicting.

dang

Legend
Alaric looking like a wall.. as I've been predicting.
Any idea when Avilla is expected back? Ajax-Avilla-Limmer-Dot-Hav would be a good step in the right direction.
I’ll gladly eat crow if AJax ends up being a very good/excellent LT. I was predicting him to be average at best.

methomas50

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It still blows my mind that he is a UDFA. I can't think of that happening before with a long-term starter at LT.
He was actually thought to be a first round prospect prior to his senior year at Iowa. Never heard why his draft stock took such a dramatic fall. Could it have something to do with the reason he was suspended for two games this year? The only real issue physically the league could have with him is for a 6 foot 5 human he has very short arms at 32.5 inches. Hasn't been a problem so far. Even so if short arms were a problem then move him inside. In others words someone should have drafted him.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Any idea when Avilla is expected back? Ajax-Avilla-Limmer-Dot-Hav would be a good step in the right direction.
I’ll gladly eat crow if AJax ends up being a very good/excellent LT. I was predicting him to be average at best.
Not sure honestly!